Home | About | Donate

Another Billionaire Presidential Candidate Who Doesn’t Get It

Another Billionaire Presidential Candidate Who Doesn’t Get It

Jill Richardson

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz just announced he may run for president as an independent centrist candidate in 2020.

I have some concerns about billionaires, however well-intentioned, running the country.

1 Like

"More Money Than Brains."

1 Like

While Schultz became a billionaire, Seattle became a vastly worse place to live. Same goes for Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Jeff Bezos, among others. They can never represent real people. They cannot comprehend need, nor empathize when they see it. Their philanthropy helps them sleep at night, but it doesn’t fool anyone outside the club. They really don’t care.

3 Likes

Inslee is another of his kind. Washington state DOT & Transit agencies do not impress, yet they’re certain self-driving robotaxi world isn’t utter nonsense. Washington has been sending coal and oil trains through for decades. Inslee declares his devoted effort to oppose each new fossil fuel proposal, again and again. Midwesterner Dick Durban seems interested. He’s not utterly disgusting in my book.

0 Likes

The biggest question with Schultz is not his billions but why he isn’t running as a Democrat seeing how his platform differs little from Hillary Clinton’s platform ?

Schultz’ rants about progressive Democrats moving left are so revisionist history…“centrist” Democrats have been moving rightward for forty years…the progressives are exactly where they were forty years ago !

2 Likes

He should run with Bloomberg, the all billionaire ticket.

0 Likes

“Would Donald Trump gone anywhere in business if he were born to you’re parents?”
Absolutely, he would have gone to prison for all of his illegal business practices.

1 Like

[quote=
Their philanthropy helps them sleep at night, but it doesn’t fool anyone outside the club. They really don’t care."] What a terribly wrong assessment to include Bill Gates in! He is my idea of the ideal philanthropist: he donates for bread and butter causes–African students, etc. Money seems not to have spoiled Him…take it back…!! If I am misunderstanding, say so.

[quote=“EdsNote, post:3, topic:59964, full:true”]
While Schultz became a billionaire, Seattle became a vastly worse place to live. Same goes for Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Jeff Bezos, among others. They can never represent real people. They cannot comprehend need, nor empathize when they see it. Their philanthropy helps them sleep at night, but it doesn’t fool anyone outside the club. They really don’t care.
"[/quote]

0 Likes

As I said, it helps him sleep at night. My skepticism and my cynicism is based on knowledge of the practices Microsoft used to amass the extraordinary wealth that made the Gates Foundation possible. It’s an ugly history of cutthroat competition, crushing working conditions, and exploitation of “temporary” workers (see the “perma-temps” lawsuit that was required to obtain benefits for workers who were classified as temporary even though they were, in fact, permanent, full-time employees–all done to avoid paying benefits). While Microsoft behaved like the Borg (Star Trek: TNG), Seattle became more and more expensive and crowded. Then, along came Amazon, and cut to the present disaster that is Seattle.

So, OK, I acknowledge that the Gates Foundation is doing “good work” (and its employees are well compensated, if overworked ala Microsoft culture). It’s on the backs of a lot of us; feeding Africans while Seattle hunger and homelessness burgeons. Microsoft is going to throw some money at that, but nowhere is there a suggestion to change a system that creates such wealth disparity and enables the monied elite to garner kudos for casting crumbs to the world. I guess we can eat cake.

0 Likes

Kudos to a great response … Fuck Bill Gates … the disgusting history of microsoft is filled with them stealing other peoples ideas … hell they outright stole apples gui interface in the early days.

nobody should be allowed to be a billionaire, that is the problem … they need to be taxed out of existence

if you can’t live like an aristocrat on 5 million bucks then fuck them

the GREED in this country is literally killing people …

2 Likes

It could be worse. He could be a candidate running for a major party. Then he would have a large vested interest in not “getting it”–an even larger one, I suppose.

Richardson is right about billionaires, surely enough. Still, as enormous a confession as this should be, we do not have a more successful system of finding representative candidates than, “Hey, some billionaire with a stray hair up his trousers wants to run.”

Until we can get a party to both run a popular candidate and also get on ballots and communicate with a large swath of the electorate, it is really not clear that the current system works better than a lottery–say, randomly drawing twenty candidates from a database of citizens of an appropriate age.

I am sure this sounds a bit extreme, but consider. Were this to be done legitimately, we would be almost certain to have candidates with reasonably popular opinions among the group. At the not insignificant cost of some professional expertise, we could vote for antiwar, pro-healthcare, and pro-education candidates, things that have been of late largely impossible within the nominally “major” parties.

No, the danger here is to imagine that because it is ridiculous for a person to govern us just because he happens to be a billionaire, it is not more ridiculous to allow persons to govern us as billionaires pay them to do that. It’s perfectly likely at this point that Schultz will be better than either the Democratic or the Republican candidate: just because your local barista is likely better than him really doesn’t make it improbable.

0 Likes

It’s not about not getting it - its about not electing amoral gangsters who desperately seek to achieve power over people so they can drive them like slaves without any regard for them as human beings. Stop minimizing and making excuses for the bastards, we don’t have much time to live as a species because of these psychopaths.

1 Like

1 Like

Pay attention and don’t be a victim of the propaganda. They give money to deflect your attention.

http://www.global-sisterhood-network.org/content/view/2820/76/

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that Gates-Microsoft thing up for me—I had no idea MSoft played such a role in the Gates empire building. …all I knew about was Gates’ philanthropy tho I guess he did know about the MSoft role. May be trying to assuage his guilt?

Cheers and thanks again

1 Like

It ought to be a serious crime to be a billionaire; multi-millionaires are questionable enough. Capitalism is morally bankrupt.

1 Like

Since both Trump and Schultz are billionaires, what do they have in common? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! ENOUGH SAID!

0 Likes