Home | About | Donate

Another Shameful "Christening" at Bath Iron Works

Another Shameful "Christening" at Bath Iron Works

Connie Jenkins

Three years ago, I was arrested along with 11 others for blocking Washington Street in an act of civil resistance against the “christening” of the USS Michael Mansour, the second Zumwalt destroyer built at Bath Iron Works. Today the same shameful ceremony will be repeated.

My reasons for taking part in the demonstration in 2016 and risking arrest are the same now as they were then:

• I’m a Christian peace activist, a member of Pax Christi Maine, and have taken a vow of nonviolence.

Nothing changes until we can amend the U. S. Constitution to make money not speech, and corporations not people. The only solution to who runs the government (hint, it’s never been average citizens, not in 243 years) is making it possible to outlaw large financial political contributions and corporate lobbying, and that can only be done now with an amendment. We have to prohibit corporations from taking any part in politics, and the rich from giving more to politics than an average citizen could afford, and only allowing living, actual citizen human beings over 18 to participate in our elections - in a financially limited way. Corporations should only be ACTED UPON by government, never acting upon it - in any way! And financial contributions need to be restricted to say $100 per candidate or issue, per election cycle, and only for those candidates and issues a person will actually see on their home ballot. Meaning outsiders could no longer buy elections in places where they don’t live. It would be the beginning of the only real answer to the corruption of our government.

2 Likes

"What’s different for me this time around is a deepened focus on “connecting the dots” of permanent warfare, systemic violence and catastrophic climate change as symptoms of a disease, natural consequences of the unrestrained greed that’s part and parcel of our economic system. "

Well folks, there it is…in a nutshell. Big Pharma makes a pill for depression. I’ve been wondering for years why they haven’t made one for greed. I’ll bet we’d need a lot fewer anti-depressants.

1 Like

The average age of the arrestees is depressing.

2 Likes

Ed: Dasn’t blame the youth. Us old guys cannot be brushed aside and we now have the leisure and wherewithal to get out and fight against war, capitalism, corporations, weapons manufacturers and climate change. And we can remember well what democracy should look like, what the planet Earth should look like.

1 Like

And do not forget that an unindicted criminal Bankster from the Sub-Prime Mortgage Debacle of 2008 is now the Secretary of the Treasury, and the beneficiary of a yuge Pyramid Scheme is Secretary of (mis-) Education.

1 Like