Home | About | Donate

Anti-Science GOP 'Eviscerates' NASA Spending on Climate Change Research

Anti-Science GOP 'Eviscerates' NASA Spending on Climate Change Research

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Reinforcing the GOP's reputation as anti-science, Republicans in the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology on Thursday voted to slash NASA spending on the branch that studies climate change issues.

As there's no question the car is speeding toward a cliff, the obvious solution is to blindfold the driver.

Guess the only way for the climate change deniers in Congress to become believers is for them to lose their seaside vacation homes (or favorite resorts) to ongoing level 5 hurricanes or rising oceans caused by glacial melts. Only when a calamitous weather event affects them or their families personally will they see and accept the truth. They may try to run but they will not be able to hide.

This excerpt from George Orwell's book, 1984 seems apropos:

"And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn’t really mean it. But that isn’t true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there’s no other way of saving yourself and you’re quite ready to save yourself that way. You want it to happen to the other person. You don’t give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself."

Republicans are Neanderthals. Denial of science is a clear indicator of ignorance, and, frankly, stupidity. How can we possibly tolerate this calibre of person in leadership positions? We're in deep trouble.

Neanderthals were much more in tune with nature than most Republicans - they even gave flower burials to their loved ones (see Shanidar cave burial). No, I think that it is mostly the monied interests like oil, gas, and coal and religious and free-market fundamentalism that motivates Republicans in being anti-science or anti-nature. Science often gets in the way of what these business interests want to do to the Earth in order to make money. Most of them are sell-outs and are no better than snake-oil salesmen.

Nothing we say here will change the behaviors of the Know-nothings in the Congress or the uneducated among the citizens. The reason is simple and it has to do with the denial of death. If the Know-nothings were to accept climate change then the entire edifice of false beliefs they hold would collapse. Partly religious and partly socio-political, the belief structure says that man is exceptional, that humans were put here by God and given dominion over the earth, and that upon their physical death they will leave eternally in heaven. They will never die. Know-nothings must stop any and all ideas and behaviors that challenge their belief system because they are terrified of their mortality. No logical argument and no irony and no satire can penetrate their denial structure.

No question about it climate change studies are expensive. It is only reasonable to stop doing them if you are too stupid to pay any attention to them. One doesn't buy a cable subscription to entertain hamsters. You can take that any way you want.

I could excuse ignorance, but this is a vote paid for by the oligarchy.

Willful ignorance has no excuse. These people are incompetent posers with no professional merit.

Very deep. Princeton's Bruce Bueno De Mesquite does predictive modeling for DOD and government agencies. He's out telling people there is nothing we can do about climate. I don't agree, but think it's far far worse than we are being told. Mitigation is possible, but the oligarchs will never commit the resources necessary.

The unparalleled buffoonery of these traitors to humanity would almost be amusing if the threat to all life on this planet, due to climate change, wasn't so serious!... Major face palm.

simple equation: less money for science, more for the Pentagon (who are also not allowed to say 'climate change'.

May I respectfully request that NASA goes on strike against this ridiculous restriction? NASA Climate - the world needs you.

The vote was just a chance for the good-old-boys in Congress to show the peckerheads back home they're with them. When the budget is finally passed, most of the cuts will have been restored--especially when the economic effects are brought to light.

Well, why not? We are the idiot society who does vote for these people (well, some of us do). Science gets it's turn at bat, they have money and will probably be able to resist the GOP autonomic action of setting things backward. Look at the 1980s-valuable time on this issue, and idiot Reagan prancing around in his little soundstage. That's what we've been doing for 35 years now, blowing valuable time on everything, generally because some really stupid people feel they just have to stop events. It is very old now.

The (G)rand (O)ld (P)arty doesn't exist and hasn't since President Ronald Reagan. After Bush-1, we see the emergence of the (P)roject for a (N)ew (A)mercian (C)entury - PNAC. Enter Clinton and the cancellation of the Glass-Steagall Act that protected Main Street Banks from Wall Street larceny. Enter Bush-Cheney: This duo planted neo-con zealots throughout the Federal Justice System, Executive Branch and Military. These plants are still there, an entire 8-year election cycle later, affecting everything that President Obama might do, if he chose. And, of course this means all and anything that might not agree with these GOP banksters, who now are THE PUPPET MASTERS; and will not tolerate reason, science, transparency of decision-making or any such "nonsense". lol

I suggest that we working Americans, who finally see the "bait and switch", remember the rise of the (T)ax(E)nough(A)already Party. It turns out that these working folks, at first, were true to their beliefs, but they were co-opted by the likes of the Libertarian Koch bros whose blank checks bought and brought the TEA Party to prominence in SHORT ORDER! First: Local government political positions! Second: Then state-level seats, thanks to the faux, non-political non-profit, American Legislative Exchange Council - ALEC! Third: But, they rose to the level of DC Congressional politics! - AND NOW threaten our citizen-civilian Democracy!

I say that we Americans who get the picture, get back to our local cities, county and state government Democratic Party precinct offices - like they did in Ferguson, MO, and repeat the t-bagger miracle - IN SHORT ORDER! With protests and demands for non-corporate candidates! Stand our ground - declare local NAFTA- TTP-and-TTIP - FREE ZONES!

Praise to Bill Moyers, Joseph Campbell and Bernie Sanders! Elizabeth Warren, too! lol

It's truly scary that the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology has a bunch of anti-science knuckle draggers making bad ideologically driven decisions in their denial of evidence they don't like.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Fascists are notoriously anti-rational and anti-science unless it suits their purpose.

So so true and so sad.....there are people I know that are like this, so, i really do not try in any overt way to get them to change.....however, I have done some subtle things, more covert activity and verbal discussions to help them see some of this or to trigger their critical thinking..... if they already like you and respect you... then, well, I think sometimes it at least gets the ball rolling for them.... I have seen some changes or some doubting..... in a few....