Home | About | Donate

Apathy Not in Play with Bernie Voters

Apathy Not in Play with Bernie Voters

Donna Smith

It was a warm, muggy evening in Honolulu, but who am I to complain? Bernie voters from all over Oahu came together last Friday evening to cheer the campaign and to add to the momentum driving Hawaii’s multi-cultural voters to support an older, white guy from Vermont who wants to be president. I walked from my friend’s condo to the rally, and by the time this older, white girl from Colorado arrived, a ceiling fan that looked like a jet engine turbine was a welcome sight.

Hillary would not fare well in the general among the younger supporters of Bernie. They would most likely just not vote as Hillary has been outed for the hypocritical tool that she is. Bernie has set the bar high with consistent and frank messaging.

Holy Cow, Donna Smith, you hit this one out of the park, great job!
I really appreciate that somehow, the younger voters appear to have learned or "got" that our system is rigged sooner than most, but it seems like the rest are indeed coming around. Feel The Bern!

Tulsi Gabbard: write that name down. The perfect vice-presidential candidate for the Democratic Party this cycle....regardless of nominee. But especially if it's Clinton. If she wants the Sanders Revolution to show up at the polls in November, she better have one of their own on the ticket.

When Gabbard resigned from the DNC to endorse Sanders...on a foreign policy basis...she clearly illuminated the difference between the Sanders candidacy and the status quo candidate:
"As a veteran, as a soldier, I've seen firsthand the true cost of war. … As we look at our choices as to who our next Commander-in-chief will be is to recognize the necessity to have a Commander-in-chief who has foresight. Who exercises good judgment. Who looks beyond the consequences -- who looks at the consequences of the actions that they are willing to take before they take those actions. So that we don't continue to find ourselves in these failures that have resulted in chaos in the Middle East and so much loss of life."

And...it was a slap in the face to Debbie Wasserman Schultz, leading for increased calls for her resignation. Gabbard's a savvy politician. Gabbard's a bonafide American patriot, (she sacrificed her career to serve the nation in uniform). She's multicultural. She knows her way around a firearm. Her career proves an ability to form coalitions, (something the Democratic Party is going to need if it wants to, at least, appear to be moving back toward left-of-center). She's knows how younger voters think.

And...she's unafraid.

Progressives/Liberals/Leftists/Whatever need stronger representation in government if the Party allotted to those ideologies is to achieve any sort of substantive reform to the status quo, within and without of that Party. Gabbard is the ticket to that train.

Bernie does not manipulate human faith in a candidate. He knows we are social beings who must let our guard down and abandon cynicism to commit. Bernie does not manipulate us when we agree to be vulnerable and entrust our shared human spiritual energy to a presidential campaign.

Adbusters.com is not Apathy Check it out.

Are those tears welling up after your last paragraph? Naw, must be something in my eye.

Well done, Donna, your writing and your incredible energy for good in this world.

Definitely. May older people don't seem to realize that their lives will continue to degrade, perhaps even more quickly, under an HRC regime.

Among the other causes that are close to my heart, I'd like to get my social security. I want to wait until the "advanced" age (you are supposed to get more if you wait and I'm still contributing to it), but if HRC gets in, I'll consider getting it sooner, since it will be whittled away, the longer I wait, I'm afraid.)

And of course, his "no more war" and climate change being the most important.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I hope you enjoyed the much-deserved vacation, Donna!

And this is beautiful: Kudos!

"Bernie inspires a new generation to some sense of shared destiny in helping create a more just society and a playing field upon which younger and older Americans need not be pitted against one another for diminishing resources but joined together in shared purpose to envision, work for and create a more purposeful, genuine reality."

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Cynical not apathetic... Nails it. I find it amusing to watch Hillary try to play the political game the same old way it has always been-- particularly her use of snide innuendo and smearing tactics. Yeah, that used to work before everyone had access to a bottomless pit of real-time information. Hell, look at all these old farts still trying to buy the election, and openly plotting to steal it at the conventions... Sorry, but the more they try to control the people, the process, and the system, the less inclined the people are to play ball. This moment is a turning point in history. I think there's a lot of us who are damned proud to be standing up for what's right. The oligarchs are kidding themselves-- Both parties are crumbling, and the young people can see that they are getting screwed-- and they are rightfully fed up. The powers that be had better open their eyes (they won't)... This is the beginning of the long-awaited American Spring.

Is Sanders is smart, he'll get Gabbard on the ticket. In my opinion, it's a sure fire way to get Party hierarchy and deep Pockets on board if he wins the nomination.

With all the problems in the Hawaii Democratic Presidential Preference activity (recent voter registrations not showing up, and voters showing up at closed polling places which had closed after an hour and a half - and the Democratic establishment (except for Gabbard) endorsing Clinton) I thought we were seeing another Arizona before the Hawaii results finally came out in the middle of the night.

I was really glad to see I was wrong, although I still wonder if Bernie wouldn't have gotten even more than 71% of the vote without those factors.

"The oligarchs are kidding themselves..."

At what point do they realize it? Could this election be like '68...this time at at conventions? Oh my, exciting times these are!

At what point... I think that's the question of the day. I don't have a good answer. I'm working on it, I promise. I'll even concede that I could be completely wrong in my assumptions and fully engaged in wishful thinking. It's up to the masses at this point.

Do it! ...do it!