Home | About | Donate

Applause as Federal Court Blocks 'Unconstitutional' South Dakota Law That Would Hit Pipeline Protesters With Up to 25 Years in Prison

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/19/applause-federal-court-blocks-unconstitutional-south-dakota-law-would-hit-pipeline

1 Like

It is encouraging to see another conscientious judge sits on the federal bench. Yay!!

4 Likes

Yes - but Judge Lawrence Piersol is now 79 years old. I certainly hope he can hold off retirement until Trump is out of office.

8 Likes

Judges like this need to populate the entire Federal judicial system.

5 Likes

The rule of Law is not dead, not just yet, it is though under great threat. Friday and I wish everyday, it will be exercised to the max. Atrophy can be deadly in a democratic republic.

2 Likes

From the article:

“In his ruling on Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Lawrence Piersol wrote: ‘Imagine that if these riot boosting statutes were applied to the protests that took place in Birmingham, Alabama, what might be the result? Dr. King and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference could have been liable under an identical riot boosting law.’”

With all due respect to the judge, there’s a sizeable number of USans who would be perfectly happy with that outcome.

3 Likes

Republicans like the second amendment…The first, not so much.

4 Likes

Hold you’re sighs of relief, anyone know if they can appeal to the fascist leaning SC? If they can, you know they will, after all the taxpayers are paying for it.

3 Likes

Trump has loaded the federal courts with fascist time bombs in the form of fascist judges.
If Dems take power, those judges should be impeached and removed when possible.
Also, it would be good not just to vote against legislators and governors who implement unconstitutional laws, but also to hold them accountable for treason.
Regardless of laws and court rulings, you can bet that the power elites and their law enforcement foot soldiers will continue to abuse, imprison and even kill protesters.

3 Likes

Hello GuildF312S, I’m surprised that the REICH WING LEGISLATORS haven’t up the penalty to a maximum of DEATH. After all that is what makes them cream in their jeans!

2 Likes

Both Obama and Shumer helped him put those judges in office. In fact Shumer has let them fast track them. Let’s give credit where it’s due. You would almost think the Dems were getting paid for their service to plutocracy.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot…Nancy won’t impeach anybody. You know…2020 election.

1 Like

Which begs the question: With a constitutional crisis on our doorstep, the courts seem to be taking their sweet time deciding on whether subpoenas are any longer a valid instrument of congress.
Step it up courts, or are you in the stalling mood as well as the trumpies.

2 Likes

re: shelby.

excuse you? how exactly did mr obama help put mr trump judges onto the federal bench… i understand that you trump trolls are incapable of placing blame anywhere else but mr obama or mrs clinton… but that is simply a stretch too far…

1 Like