Home | About | Donate

Approaching the Apocalypse, the Doomsday Clock Moves Forward

Approaching the Apocalypse, the Doomsday Clock Moves Forward

Robert Dodge

The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists has just moved their Doomsday Clock forward to two minutes till midnight. Midnight represents nuclear apocalypse. The Clock is recognized around the world as an indicator of the world’s vulnerability to catastrophe from nuclear weapons, climate change, and emerging technologies. Each year the decision to move the Clock, or not, is determined by the Bulletins Science and Security Board in consultation with its Board of Sponsors which includes 15 Nobel laureate‘s.

I can’t read these posts, anymore.

Was in the COMMAND module at Whiteman AFB in the 70s. Then stared down at a MINUTEMAN II missile. WE DON’T NEED THIS SHIT!

Asking for world wide nuclear disarmament, to me anyway, is a no-brainer and I’m guessing that most peace loving people feel the same way. Trouble is the leadership of nuclear armed nations are deranged psychopaths, especial the US’s Pentagon, and want till the wanting’s are totally exhausted. If they actually listened to the folks that elected them nukes would have been banned by the early 50’s instead of a race to total annihilation. I’m sorta surprised that I’m still here after all the accidents and past crises over the life of nuclear weaponry. Come on leadership! We just want to live our lives in peace without all the imperial wars and empire building we have to live under.

I would say that it is more due to paranoia. Like the idea if one of these nuclear nations backed out of such a deal that they would be able to bully everyone into submission. Though I do agree that any desire to “upgrade” nuclear weapons like the U.S. is planning is psychopathy. You only need around one hundred well placed nukes to end life on Earth, the U.S. alone has over 7000.

An even more certain possible disaster is global warming–especially given the “denialism” of our “leaders” and the possibility that warming is now “feeding on itslef”!

Indeed. We are already starting to feel the effects with the string of hurricanes happening recently, the first major city Cape Town running out of water come April and in a couple of decades the middle east becoming uninhabitable. And keep in mind these are only the effects of emissions that humanity gave off 50 years ago. If you factor in all the emissions since then…well I would say our goose isn’t only cooked but burned to a charred black.

Although a year ago, any solid thinking, informed person could have made the following assertion:

"Not only does his ascendency mark the death of being presidential, but his political incompetence makes us all vulnerable to unforced errors that could exponentially augment the roster of Trump-era disasters, with millions of lives hanging in the balance. If Trump is this incapable of conducting remedial damage control, how will he handle a much more complicated crisis — one that could include nuclear weapons, a terrorist attack or an economic calamity not unlike the Great Recession? (Bob Cesca, Salon, 1/12/2017)