Home | About | Donate

Arctic Refuge Protectors: An Open Letter from Teachers and Scholars

Arctic Refuge Protectors: An Open Letter from Teachers and Scholars

Rosemary Ahtuangaruak, Subhankar Banerjee, Finis Dunaway, & Norma Kassi

Signatories' Note: We are inviting teachers and scholars—elementary and secondary school teachers, college and university faculty, graduate students, independent scholars and writers, investigative journalists, librarians, editors, museum professionals, and other educators and researchers—from the United States, Canada, and around the world to join us in the campaign to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and uphold Indigenous Rights.

As a resident of Alaska, I have seen the devastation of climate change. The letter from Arctic Refuge Protectors is welcome. But since Alaskan, oil politics is so powerful; especially since the average Alaskan resident shares in the oil wealth, it is an uphill battle to say the least, to try and stop the Arctic Refuge destroyers.

In case anyone was wondering, I do not collect any money from the permanent, fund, dividend.

My only question is why so few scholars have signed on to this?
This is it people, the last large block of pristine, undeveloped land in the US.

You can call petro politics fascist or authoritarian. Its dominating ideology is not up for discussion and renovation to address modern concerns.
Either way, it functions as it does through captured governance implementing its undemocratic and destructive program, compulsory for all. Public opinion is irrelevant. Destroying food sources, water, land, air and ways of life, the behemoth marches on, enabled by supposedly centrist politics.