Home | About | Donate

Are We Tired of ‘Winning’ Yet?

Are We Tired of ‘Winning’ Yet?

Jill Richardson

Can we stop pretending that leading Republicans care about anything beyond winning and power?

To be sure, there are some in the party who are guided by conservative “principles.” House Speaker Paul Ryan said he’s been “dreaming” of gutting Medicaid — the program that provides health care to the poorest Americans — since his college days.

Unfortunately the Democrats don't give much of a care if they win or not as long as they keep their corporate donors, and even if they do miraculously win in the next four years they likely will just repeat the same tired song and dance of the establishment. The duopoly for decades has set up a "Heads I win, Tails you lose" situation with the people always as the loser.

Can doctors tell the difference between "hitchhiker's thumb" and "winner's thumb"? One should get you admitted to Canada and the other to the psych ward.

"Americans won’t win unless their leaders’ goal is to help the American people instead of only helping themselves."

In this world where "winning" is the all-important raison d'etre of both political parties, how likely is it that the goal of both parties will ever be "to help the American people?" Am I being too cynical in supposing that some Democratic strategists are praying that the Republicans' abominable health care bill will soon be passed and implemented, because it will be a great issue to run on in future elections?

I think Richardson is a supporting member of The Grange or the National Farmer's Union. Much more than the National Farm Bureau. :wink:
Food policy and small scale or large scale agri-business has to be non-partisan. It should be much more of a scientific based, well regulated marketplace. With no room for cheap, industrial food in our schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.
Now, that's winning.

I agree that leading Republicans (Trump, Ryan, McConnell, etc.) don't care about anything beyond winning and power. The question is whether leading Democrats (Pelosi, Schumer, etc.) are any different (and if they aren't - they need to be primaried).

My latest pet peeve is Schumer. “Democrats need a strong, bold, sharp-edged and common-sense economic agenda,’’ Schumer said. “Policy, platform, message that appeal to the middle class, that resonate with the middle class.’’ OK chuck, why the hell are you not working out this platform in the open? It isn't prominently displayed on your home page anywhere I see. Are you still figuring out how to say stuff that sounds slick but doesn't hurt your donor class?

Republicans in Congress would rather millions of Americans lose health insurance than risk losing their own jobs. Apparently that’s what “winning” looks like to them........yes well the main job of goverment is to stay in power, everything else is secondary and the people that elected them come last, it has been pretty obvious for a long time that the majority of politicians could give a crap about anything except there own ass, both parties are full of lying degenerates that really dont deserve the positions of trust they have been given, most of them self serving, sanctimonious, scoundrells,... at best, and it is going to get much worse much quicker now that trump has normalized non decency, bullying,rudeness, and lying as the norm and the way to become president.

"We don't win when Republicans...crush the Democrats for the sake of looking like winners."

DNC does that all by itself.