Home | About | Donate

'Are You Ready for a Fight?': In Fiery Speech, Sanders Rallies Opposition to Trump Supreme Court Pick

Clearly you haven’t read Article 2, Section II of the Constitution.

"…and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate…shall appoint…Judges of the supreme Court…

What have I read? What I actually heard, on the day Scalia died, was Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell saying that the Republican-controlled Senate had no intention of confirming any nominee chosen by Obama. Our Constitution says the president can nominate, and with the approval of the Senate, appoint a Supreme Court Justice.

“Let us be clear,” in Sander’s statement, “Kavanaugh will be a rubber-stamp for an extreme, right-wing agenda pushed by corporations and billionaires.” The coming Senate debate over the replacement of retiring Supreme Court Kennedy is about Roe v. Wade , campaign finance reform, Voting rights, Worker rights, Health care, Climate change, Environmental protection and safety." It concludes, “I do not believe a person with Kavanaugh’s views should be given a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court. We must mobilize the American people to defeat Trump’s right-wing, reactionary nominee.”
Well then, how about that? And whatsoever doesn’t happen doesn’t.

There is a provision in the Constitution (Art. II Sec. 2 Clause 3), known as the Recess Appointment Clause, that provides an alternative method of appointment that would allow the filling of vacancies in order to maintain the continuity of government when the senate is not in session. This appointment must be approved by the end of the next legislative session (my reason for saying it’s easier to fight removal, than no vote at all). Art. II Sec. 3 gives the president the ability to force congress into a recess, allowing him/her make the appointment discussed above.
By the way, President Eisenhower made a recess appointment to the court in 1956, Justice Brennan.
Clearly you are the one who is misinformed.

Interesting the Daily Beast’s position on this issue Jul 10, 2018. Here’s what they said Feb 2016: “That is to say, it’s nearly impossible to imagine this Senate—and this majority leader, the intensely political Mitch McConnell—letting Obama tilt the balance of the court in his last year, an election year. And sure enough, McConnell put out a statement Saturday evening before Scalia’s body was even cold. “The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president,” he said in a statement” (Can Obama Take Over the Supreme Court)

The Daily Intelligencer published an article a few weeks ago (May 31) entitled: “Mitch McConnell Committed A Judicial Heist and Blames Obama for His Crime”.

I am not attacking the left. I am a member of the left.

We trail our fellow international democratic peers in voter participation(Pew Research ranks us 31st of 35 countries for voter turnout based on the voting age populace, among the mostly democratic nations that are a part of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development).

The 2014 turnout of the voting-eligible population was just 36.4 percent, according to the projection from the United States Elections Project, run by Dr. Michael McDonald at the University of Florida. That’s down from the 41 percent that turned out in 2010. It was the lowest in 70 years.

Thirty-six Senate seats were decided in that 2014 election.

Actually, I am aware of the Justice Brennan appointment. But, the Senate or House may seek to block potential recess appointments by not allowing the Senate to adjourn under Article 1, Section 5, Clause 4 of the Constitution, which provides that both Houses must consent to an adjournment. Also, in the 2014 National Relations Board v. Noel Canning Supreme Court case, Justice Stephen Breyer, in the majority opinion, wrote that the Constitution allows for the Congress itself to determine its sessions and recesses, that “the Senate is in session when it says it is,” and that the President does not have the unilateral right to dictate Congressional sessions and thus make recess appointments.

Obama could have tried it, but with this decision the Supreme Court signaled it would rule against him should Congress challenge. There is little doubt they would.

Manchin, Donnelly, and Heidtkamp, DINOs that they are, need to have pressure and logical arguments put before them by all of us, whether we’re their direct constituents or not. They should have to defend themselves and tell us why, in what ways, are they Dems. And we shouldn’t relent on the phone calls, letters, demonstrations, office visits, full-page ads, etc. until the moment of their confirmation or denial vote happens.

The Pen suggests using branding as a weapon like Dump does. So anytime you refer to Kavanaugh, call him Kingmaker Kavanaugh because he’s about keeping the Dump above the laws of the land. No matter what words he oinks or slinks with, he’s not about protecting the country or wethepeople with the Constitution. He’s a rightwing tool, period.

Thanks for that reminder goodie. Damn Obama betrayed everyone he could. I wonder in his wife really agreed/agrees with him on stuff like this.

That is the problem right there—The Vichy Democrats.

The Republicans have always been cruel, despicable assholes. But now, as we can see through their own words, the Democratic Party is no longer the opposition party.

Schumer said it, “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Pelosi is just as bad as Schumer, maybe worse. This is why Republicans are in the majority, because the Democrats have betrayed us.

Would the French people have voted for the Vichy French? I don’t think so.

Hillary certainly isn’t any FDR.

Schumer is not worth a single fuck! He’s no better than a Republican. As a matter of fact he wants the Democratic Party to be more Republican. Schumer is a Vichy Democrat.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”—Schumer

Obama didn’t even fight using the bully pulpit at his disposal. He played his role as Weak Commander In Chief. He did this specifically so we wouldn’t get Merrick just as his handlers ordered him to do.

That doesn’t change his record on Kavanaugh.

No, Schumer is not a right wing hack, but he is one of the way too many old guard entrenched corporate Dems that need to go in order for the party to grow, lose its negative connotation and fulfill what the base wants.