Home | About | Donate

Armed Violence in the Hearltand: Our Jihadis and Theirs

Armed Violence in the Hearltand: Our Jihadis and Theirs

Tom Engelhardt

Consider this paragraph a holding action on the subject of getting blown away in America. While I write this dispatch, I’m waiting patiently for the next set of dispiriting killings in this country. And I have faith. Before I’m done, some angry -- or simply mentally disturbed -- and well-armed American “lone wolf” (or lone wolves) will gun down someone (or a number of people) somewhere and possibly himself (or themselves) as well. Count on that. It’ll be my last paragraph. Think of it as, in a grim way, something to look forward to as you read this piece on American armed mayhem.

"let’s take a look at a few of the dangers of armed life in these United States, a quick survey of national insecurity in a country armed to the teeth."

Let’s take a look at the cause of this violence, and let's not blame the victims or the public.

It is the ringmaster and his superiors that decide which acts a circus will perform.

The audience that attends the circus has no say in the matter.

The same is true of the media moguls and their audience.

The mogols would like us to believe that
they supply their audience with the kind of programming that their audience desires, but really the audience has no say in the matter. They read, hear and watch whatever they are fed, out of habit.

The mainstream media is the primary governor of US culture. It appears that the masters of media have decided that US culture will be violent.

A decent media would disseminate programming designed to uplift its audience, not programming that depresses and mentally brutalizes its audience.

Isn't it so horribly ironic that the FBI figures and the WaPo figures on police shootings are so off ? The Feds were supposed to keep records on such things, by law, way back in 1983. But they didn't, of course. Huh, imagine that little mistake. And, everyone knows the monolithic Police, Security and Mass Surveillance State really isn't about catching jihadis or lone wolves, etc. Or, least of all, catching white supremacist terrorist groups before they go insane either individually or collectively. Or, for that matter, Wall Street tax evaders, inside traders, money launderers, lobbyists and Saudi princes and their pampered kin, either. The FBI's saint is J. Edgar Hoover, for gods sake, and that about says it all in my book. That, and the Republicans, with the help of more than a few closeted Democrats, trying to run a Cliven Bundy Voting Project under the radar. Which really isn't too difficult, when 6 or 7 media moguls and their Corporate facades, tell and sell white people and the poor a bunch of subversive, 1%er, bunk. For, increasingly not too subtle, painful and deadly economic advantage. " Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus. And, no Virginia, there really wasn't a corporate coup d'état in all the history of this great country. Our politicians and military just wouldn't allow such a thing, dear. "