Home | About | Donate

Arundhati Roy and Bill McKibben Argue Covid-19 an Opportunity for Humanity to Get Off Dangerous Path

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/18/arundhati-roy-and-bill-mckibben-argue-covid-19-opportunity-humanity-get-dangerous

I would repeat what I said in the previous thread.

"Nothing could be worse than a return to normality. " Ms Roy said.
Agree as far as continuing on the suicidal path. But we have to rid the world of psychopathic, egotistical, fascist leaders and their capitalistic ideals.

2 Likes

Hi Wingsofadove. I’d say the later should be the priority. Psychopathic, egotistical, and fascistic leadership is nurtured by capitalism. Rather than operating under the constraints of the present US political system, I think we are more likely to promote a transition to more human and environmental well-being focused social/economic structures, through community based initiatives. There will always be people with selfish and cruel tendencies, but we can reduce the ease with which such tendencies are encouraged and given access to power.

1 Like

Bill McKibben is not perfect, but I don’t doubt the sincerity of his efforts. I hope he is able to recover from Michael Moore and Jeff Gibbs impugning his integrity.

2 Likes

We are in the new reality, forever different in many ways. Either we adjust and adapt or down the tubes we go. Thank you Arundhati and Bill for your truthful and important insights into reality. “Get up stand up, stand up for your rights!” Peace

1 Like

You might wish to read this:

~https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/07/michael-moore-far-right-climate-crisis-deniers-film-environment-falsehoods

1 Like

Tell me how Steve. (Please do not invoke voting.)

Change the story to change the future ,move from a survival of the fittest mentality or guiding principle were everything is a competition for resources profit and wealth to a …We Are All One guiding principle where cooperation and sharing the resources while letting the Earth heal its living systems .

Hi Wingsofadove. I don’t know how. I don’t have all the answers, and I don’t know anyone who does. But I am working with groups of people from grassroots organizations, on activities to bring people together to discuss this and think about pathways forward. I imagine this will be a long, hard, and messy process, with a lot of mistakes along the way. I don’t know what will come of these and other efforts I know of around the US and internationally, and there is no guarantee of success. In addition to the real challenges in low-income communities, some other challenges now, are from self-described liberals/moderates, who are try to squash these initiatives, and dogmatic self-described progressives, whose attacks have led to real set-backs. I think there are hopeful models that can be found in Cooperation Jackson (ttps://cooperationjackson.org/), Cooperation Humbolt (ttps://cooperationhumboldt.com/), Rojava in Syria (ttps://makerojavagreenagain.org/), the commune movement in Venezuela (ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSboKLc8Qs), and many other places.

2 Likes

Thanks. A disturbing read. Here’s a similar one that also shows how the film is being used by Michael Shellenberger, advocate of 100% nuclear energy (0% solar, wind, etc.) and cofounder of the Breakthrough Institute, to promote his ecomodernist/techno-fascist dogma.

ttps://www.desmogblog.com/2020/05/01/fossil-fuel-backed-climate-deniers-rush-promote-michael-moore-planet-of-humans

1 Like

Such an uphill battle. I promoted a local group to bring awareness of many “wrong doings” with regard to the ecology. We did well for a while. :frowning:

1 Like

Thankyou for the links.

1 Like

When Arundhati Roy speaks . . .

"If [the coronavirus] were a war, then nobody would be better prepared than the United States," laments Roy, award-winning novelist and longtime human rights activist, in her interview. "If it were that you needed nuclear missiles or depleted uranium or bunker busters or tanks or submarines or whatever it is, there would be plenty. But there aren’t swabs. There aren’t gloves. There aren’t masks. There isn’t medicine."

McKibben – "This is a portal – this is an opportunity."

Indeed, it may be THE opportunity before we face many epidemics like this virus.

Look at how cleaner our environment is for only two months of “Stay at Home” –

It’s done more for Nature and our futures than any of the ignored protests have done –

There are so many structure in place pushing people to inaction than any group taking action represents a victory. I am sure that the work of your group had, and continues to have, meaningful impact. Your groups actions may have cause ripple effects resulting in people organizing that you may never be aware of.

1 Like

True. And we did manage to elicit flyers from the town hall to make our pueblo aware of plastic pollution. And a few posters telling citizens to pick up their dog poop. And i managed to get some stray cats spayed. So it was worth it.