Home | About | Donate

As a Muslim, How Do I Tell My Child the New President Doesn’t Like Us?

As a Muslim, How Do I Tell My Child the New President Doesn’t Like Us?

Mehdi Hasan

“Did she win?” My bleary-eyed nine-year-old had fallen asleep on our couch the previous night, as the polls closed in Florida. When she sat across the breakfast table from me, I had to break the news that, while her own state of Virginia might have (narrowly) opted for Hillary Clinton, most of the other swing states – Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan – went with Donald Trump. “So we won’t have a female president?” she asked, looking disconsolate.

I don't know what to tell children but certainly supporting civil liberties groups like the ACLU is one way to try to counter this. The federal government and the states have certain laws that pertain to this. Trying to strengthen those laws and making sure they are enforced will be critical. The KKK and other hate groups have been around for a long time and their right to speak is protected by the first amendment. This is country of laws and we will soon see if those laws are still effective.

This, this right here, is what I found so dangerous about the people who think (presumably, they still think this) that Trump was less dangerous than Clinton.

We were told to look at Clinton's record and not listen to Trump's words, which ignored the fact that Trump, never having held any political office, couldn't be judged in like manner, though even here at CD people dismissed his bragging about sexual assault and overt racism (not renting to black people in NY, saying that the Central Park 5 should have been executed even after they were exonerated, his constant drumbeat against Mexicans) and religious bigotry (a 'ban" on Muslims, falsely claiming to have seen huge crowds of Muslims in NJ celebrating after the terrorist attack on 9/11).

People ignored Steve Bannon when he joined Trump's campaign, though now everyone is oh-so-aghast by him, as if he's not been around all this time.

And now we have this. A mother having to explain to a nine-yerar-old that her president and his supporters don't think she's a "real" American.

A very long time ago I heard someone saying that the US is unique because one can truly gain membership in it. He said that, sure, you can become a citizen of France, but you'll never be considered French. In the USA, citizenship let you actually become an "American."

We're not that country anymore, it seems.

Is this person under the impression that Hilary Rodman Clinton "likes" Muslims?

Tell the Palestinians, and Libyans, and Iraqis and Syrians and Yemeni's that and see what they have to say. All of this my little girl and little boy anecdotes show how early on in their lives that these Children are taught to embrace illusions.

The only things those in the 1 percent "like" be it a Trump or a Clinton is money and power. Any segment of the rest of the Worlds population from Muslim to Jew , from poor white working class to College educated black man , are just a means by which they get that money and power. Ms Clintons cackling over the murder of Qaddaffi and the descent of the state of Libya into Chaos wherein millions flee conflict , hardly suggests "empathy for Muslims".

How do you tell an innocent that they are going to be the target of monsters? My children are biracial. They have been targeted since babyhood, when people would walk up to me and ask if they were adopted, or "what" they were ( 'Human," I would respond, to which they'd say 'You know what I mean,") or they'd reach out and "touch" their hair (just to see what it felt like, you know). When kids on the playground called them "chocolate milk" with their parents calmly watching and not interfering.Later, in high-school, when they were routinely slammed into lockers, or during PE hit with the ball as hard as possible (my daughter was knocked to the ground once so violently she was stunned--and told to "just get up" by the PE teacher), or when my son was denied a well deserved membership in the National Merit Scholars with no justification. Or--and this is the worst--when both of my daughters were sexually assaulted by individuals they considered friends, who later boasted about it. The latest? My grandson was walking home from a basketball game and dribbling the ball on the sidewalk. A cop stopped and told him to "carry the ball, because you are intimidating the residents on this street." This in beautiful, liberal Portland Oregon. So what do you tell your beautiful child about becoming a target? I would say pack your child and leave the country, because as hellish as it has been for those who aren't clones of the self-proclaimed superior race, it's just going to get worse.

My feelings exactly, Suspira. I just bristled at the start of the article when I saw those three words "Did she win?" Has this concerned parent told that poor child what "she" has done to Muslims? Is the unspeakable Trump more racist than Shillary because he says racist things while she commits murderous racist acts, all the while refraining from saying racist things? Where is the reality in this? The MSM know no shame. And the man who wrote this piece needs to read a little more and hone his analytical skills.

A further thought: the statement in the sub-head that "Donald Trump’s victory has led to a surge in anti-Muslim feeling in the US" is a perfect example to what I have noticed is a concerted effort in the MSM to pretend that this was not the case before. Sixteen years (16) of violently anti-Muslim policy, stoked by anti-Muslim politicians and journalists, preceded Trump's dubious election. And these sixteen years were preceded by several decades of only slightly less virulent anti-Muslim propaganda in movies, the press, and government. (Statements like Kissinger's that "oil is much too important to let the Arabs govern it"--[quote only approximative].) In these years we have witnessed the partial or total destruction, at the hands of US and other Western interventionists, of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Pakistan and Syria, among others, duly accompanied by pseudo-serious, often neoconservative "journalistic" commentary on the backwardness of these countries, their medieval customs, their mistreatment of women, their obscurantist religionism, even their hygiene (I kid you not: I believe it was Douglas Feith.) It was just such a campaign, which I witnessed immediately in the MSM following the 911 attacks, and which continued unabated, that led me to decide that I wanted to leave the US. The policy that has followed has merely put into action the prejudice already formulated and put in place. For me now to hear the corporate media, which the understandably suffering man who wrote this article unfortunately takes at their word, decry the same lies they've been telling simply because they were mouthed by a corrupt playboy just to get elected, makes me, quite simply, want to throw up, so blatant is the hypocrisy. I will believe the media is not anti-Muslim when they start calling for an end to all the Mideast wars, a just peace for the Palestinians, and self-government for all countries under the bootheel of Uncle Sam or any of his Europoodle running dogs.

If your daughter hasn't yet heard the reasons people fear Muslims and loathe Islam, you might start there. Might also touch on what your religion has to say about her. Or you can just teach her to fear people from other religions and to loathe their religions and thereby help to perpetuate this family blood feud which the kindred religions of the same primitive war god have been carrying on for centuries. So far as I'm concerned, a pox on all your houses.

same bloody speech you should've been giving them for the last two presidents.
rinse and repeat.

I'm no fan of Trump, but he's talking about banning Muslims (ridiculous) Obama's spent the last 8 years killing them.

Great post. The industrial scale racism of 15 years of the Bush/Obama War against Muslims has had the obvious effect of poisoning the mind of America, creating the conditions where a Trump became inevitable.

We must unite now to resist Trump, but Hillary was & is a monster as well.

Well said.,

We have to go back to early 70's, that is how long strump has been an overt racist. He was taken to court over his racist apartments, having been inherited from dad, the apartments and the racism to go with it.

Have no doubt strump called it "Trump Tower" as payback to Woody Guthrie. (Author of my national anthem."This Land is Your Land")

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed that color line
Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain't my home!
No, I just can't pay this rent!
My money's down the drain,
And my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
Where no black folks come to roam,
No, no, Old Man Trump!
Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

https://woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/Old_Man_Trump.htm

Thanks for telling it like it is.

I still pray that our hearts will awaken. That we'll find ourselves standing and speaking up, spontaneously, daily, to violence.

Where are we gonna go? The tendency to be overcome by fear and hatred is universal, and enhanced when scarcity threatens.

Everywhere now, scarcity stalks us.

And everywhere, everyone can choose wild courage and generosity over cowardice, cruelty, and selfishness.

I had no idea Woody ever referenced Trump! Well, Old Man Trump, but still.

Yesterday I was thinking that, with this Trump administration, we really need another Edward R. Murrow. I'm thinking we need another Woody Guthrie, too. In the meantime, I'll just keep playing Billy Bragg's version of "The Internationle." That whole EP is pretty good, actually.

OH!!! And how could I have forgotten "The Marching Song of the Covert Battalions?" https://youtu.be/f-yRKfD2GIk

And one more: Which Side Are You On? -- The Dropkick Murphys

And that ends today's edition of vox's Little Red Jukebox.

CHEROKEE WISDOM

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

“One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

“The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
“Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied,
“The one you feed.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;-})

Excellent post. May you and your family thrive and prosper.

They told us that he had to get a teacher endorsement, and in order to obtain that he would have to" participate more" in the school community to qualify. So he started the chess club--a very popular club btw-- but still was denied. We were then told he had to play sports, so he tried out for football. He still didn't get in. It was stall, stall, stall, prevaricate, avoid, avoid. This in western Colorado. I got tired of going in and arguing with the principal. I don't think they were even submitting his scores.

Um, no. He had to take the PSAT/NMSQT test and any student can enroll to take it. If he took the test, was a U.S. citizen, enrolled in a high school or equivalent, making normal progress towards graduation, and planning to enroll in college no later than the fall after graduating, those are the only qualifying requirements.

"I don't think they were even submitting his scores."

To take the qualifying test, he would have had to enroll to take it, they would have had to receive his enrollment in order for there to be a test for him, and he would have been logged as taking the test if he did take it.. Students are not allowed to leave the room with the test, and a missing test would have been investigated. It's possible someone at the school was incompetent or dishonest about telling you the qualifying requirements, but this is public information. Any librarian should have been able to hook you up with the correct information.
But for what it's worth, very few applicants actually get any sort of scholarship, so your son probably didn't miss out on anything.

A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. The whole world belongs to Muslims. What do you expect from a so called civilised Yanks? Yanks must learn to respect and tolerate those who are different. Western society and schooling is the home of institutional racism. Cynthia Ramsey, a math teacher at Camden County High School in North Carolina, allegedly told a student that if she only had 10 days left to live, she would kill all black people. Attention racists: think what you want, be careful what you say in public. That woman is SUPER STUPID. She should be fired, she has NO common sense.

Since racism is so endemic and so deep rooted in American culture , should we be so shocked, baffled and surprised when we become aware of these statements? To me the teacher is just living out her life training and experience; this is what she hears daily in her social interaction with other racists behind closed doors. I am not shocked or surprised; on the contrary, I think it is the norm. If this behaviour was not normal how could the root report so many of these situations on a daily basis? I have given up on trying to change white America. Now that black people in her school district have become aware of her behaviour I expect her to be dismissed as a teacher and black people's tax dollars not be used in the future to pay her salary, irrespective of where she is employed next. and in which ever profession she works.

Racial tension has been on raw display in recent months across Europe. Reports from non-governmental organizations such as European Network Against Racism (ENAR) confirm a dramatic increase of racist violence in recent years. More than 5,000 hate crimes were reported in Sweden in 2012 of which 74 percent were related to racism and xenophobia. Muslims, Roma, and asylum seekers are some of the most vulnerable groups throughout Europe, especially Muslim women who wear the headscarf.

A recent example is when riots broke out in Trappes, outside of Paris, in July after a routine police check on a woman who was asked to remove her face veil (as is required under French law). Officials of all political stripes defend France’s secular law, called the Burqa ban, which prohibits women from covering their entire face in public spaces. After the incident in Trappes, Interior Minister Manuel Valls said that the 2010 law “must be enforced everywhere,” according to the Economist because it’s in the “interests of women.”

But women (and some men) across Sweden are donning headscarves and posting pictures of themselves on Twitter and Instagram in protest. They are not Muslim immigrants fighting to protect their cultural norms. Rather, they are politicians and TV personalities staging a “hijab outcry” to show solidarity with Muslim women.

The protest comes after a pregnant woman wearing a veil was assaulted two weekends ago in Sweden. Police spokesman Ulf Hoffman said an unknown assailant had attacked the woman in the suburb of Farsta by banging her head against a car. The attacker then reportedly tore off her headscarf and shouted racial insults.

Veiled campaigners said they want to draw attention to the “discrimination that affects Muslim women” in Sweden, and that the goal of the “hijab outcry” is to demand that the government “ensure that Swedish Muslim women are guaranteed the right to … religious freedom.”

The initiative has inspired similar actions in other places such as Brussels. Lately, acts of public resistance against intolerance have also occurred in Germany and the Czech Republic.

Some people have an opposite opinion about the matter. Hanna Gadban, a feminist Muslim commentator, believes the campaign is counterproductive.

“We talk naïve about human rights. Should we give men power and confirmation that they have the right to force their women and children to veil themselves?” she told the Swedish news site, Aftonbladet. “This reinforces racism I see the veil as a cultural, religious, sexual and political symbol. How many women choose to veil themselves? In my experience, it may be around 10 percent who choose it without pressure.”

It’s a delicate, controversial issue: how to demonstrate one’s Muslim faith and tradition in western European countries such as Sweden, France or Great Britain, particularly in an increasingly hostile environment for immigrants generally, and especially Muslim immigrants, in those places. But people need to stop acting like it’s Muslim women’s fault for getting attacked.

Muslim or not, women should be able to walk down the street without being subjected to verbal and physical violence. I respect the Swedish campaigners for promoting that.
IA
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk