Home | About | Donate

As Americans Rise Up Against Racial Injustice, International Crisis Group Calls on Trump to 'Stop Making the Situation Worse'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/04/americans-rise-against-racial-injustice-international-crisis-group-calls-trump-1

3 Likes

A clear and accurate position - but how many will even know this article exists given total control of MSM?

8 Likes

Hi LadyKi
Well the People are doing something right. The NY Times says that I can read their paper on line for $1------wow–but it’s not worth a dollar! : )

9 Likes

Appealing to Trump’s better nature is a waste of time and breath. He has no better nature. Trump is the spawn of evil. His soul diect long ago when Trump signed a deal with the Devil. Once one dances with the Devil, the Devil NEVER sets one free. In Trump’s camp of fascists there are not “better angels”. They are all driven by evil.

5 Likes

Make no mistake, those who work for “Law Enforcement” are not public servants, they for decades have been exceedingly made more militarized, trained to kill rather than maim, and are "servants of the Military Industrial Complex, paid very well to create fear in the population and given open season to exercise their bigotry.

This, is all under the microscope at this very moment, and the 1% will fight to keep their attack dogs on the job.

We, must fight back even harder.

18 Likes

These marches and protests are a demand, in this nation, to fix the social injustice, economic injustice, and political injustice. All of which are fights that Americans have been fighting in this country for many generations. These marches are Intersectionality not one dimensional.

12 Likes

“Mad Dog” Mattis’ statement not reported yet here at CD? Here is the former Trump Secretary of Defense who resigned over Syria policy, breaking his self-imposed silence and blasting Trump, sparked by the idiotic photo op with the bible, and the brutal clearing of nonviolent protestors from Lafayette Park:

IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH

I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand — one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values — our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict — a false conflict — between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us … was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis — confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path — which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals — will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

7 Likes

It maybe to soon to tell if we have turned a corner on racism, but at least the discussion is real and there is room for change that is sincere.

1 Like

The trumpsters and family gang members only know one thing and that’s to throw more gas on the fire

4 Likes

How would they pay you? Would you have to read the whole thing? I wouldn’t trust them to send the dollar either.

2 Likes

The statement wraps up with a peculiar request: “He should take great pains not to act like he wants [a war] at home.” I don’t think I understand this word “should” – what use is it? Police should refrain from killing purely for entertainment purposes. We might even attain a rough consensus on that one. But then what do I do with our “should” consensus? To whom shall I have it served?

None of this should ever have happened. Maybe it’s peaking somewhat, who knows?

The situation is still fluid, and things could take an uglier turn. But the way events are going, the protests that went all the way to the gates of the White House look like they’ve finally pulled back the curtain on Trump’s fascist cosplay. What the unrelenting demonstrations revealed is less a dictator-in-waiting than a con artist – a man who was never actually capable of living up to his most chilling threats. Though he has certainly inflicted massive damage in office — think, for instance, of the families that continue to be ripped apart by his brutal immigration policies or killed in his foreign wars — when put to the test, Trump has been shown as a strongman without any real strength. Even the Wizard of Oz didn’t have such a devastating reveal.

How Protests Over George Floyd’s Killing Exposed Trump as a Lame-Duck Authoritarian
by Murtaza Hussain
~https://theintercept.com/2020/06/04/trump-protests-george-floyd/

2 Likes

This is why I am grateful to Common Dreams for covering news like this. Corporate news supports the status quo, even if the status quo is irrevocably broken!

6 Likes

The rats In Trump’s administration and the remaining carcass of the GOP haven’t jump ship just yet, but they’ve been seen racing along the gunnels, desperately surveying their choices.

Back to the conflagration or into the sea, which shall it be?

1 Like

This too is very revealing - Aboriginal deaths in custody:

~https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/04/were-horrified-by-whats-going-on-in-the-usa-of-course-nothing-like-that-could-happen-here

1 Like

LOL. Good one.

Monopoly money. But you’d have to roll snake eyes and land on Eighth Avenue.

Nice summation PonyBoy. Short but accurate.

1 Like

As long as these protests continue, trump will tweet, and give himself more and more rope.

1 Like

The heroic people in our streets are holding the space and grounding for justice to bend onto the #45 thugocracy, to the unarguable and unyielding degree that Donnie Bunker is living out its darkest fears surrounded by unidentifed Bureau of Prisons guards, courtesy of Barr’s Dept of Just-Us.

Resident #45 and its nepotistic toadies–with all their libels, bibles, slander and babble–are now in the best position yet to be perp-walked out of the White House directly into the Big House.

3 Likes

Right now change can only happen in each individual community. Where people don’t have to worry about getting crapped on by trump. Or fired. Or demoted. Or disowned.

3 Likes