Home | About | Donate

As Brazil's Bolsonaro Wages War on the Amazon, Rainforest Communities Battle Climate Emergency

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/06/brazils-bolsonaro-wages-war-amazon-rainforest-communities-battle-climate-emergency

1 Like

A Disaster for Brazil: Noam Chomsky on Brazil’s New Far-Right President Jair Bolsonaro

1 Like

Brazil governed by ‘lunatics’ and US ‘lackeys’, says ex-president Lula.

2 Likes

I thought the plan was to plant Trees… now what?

2 Likes

Let’s plant a trillion trees while this a_____e cuts down the Amazon Rain Forest…sorry world, you have it backwards, idiots, save the rain forest & plant trees…Get It? dummies, makes me sick to see this happening

3 Likes

It makes me weep.

1 Like

Bolsenaro needs to be executed. Right now.
This idiotic piece of shit is quite literally killing us all. When are we going to defend ourselves and our families?

4 Likes

It would be logical to remove him from his current position.

With haste, and extreme prejudice.

4 Likes

what on EARTH are we doing to ourselves???

2 Likes

Sadly, the short answer is killing ourselves and the earth for capitalism, so the 1% get richer. Sounds simplistic I know, but…

2 Likes

Bolsonaro is committing against all life on Earth - a crime against humanity, or however one characterizes his actions to wantonly destroy the Amazon. He is another trump, encouraged by trump and those who see a quick buck by such hideous, mindless, and truly evil destruction.

If there ever was a crime against the entire planet - and we need to identify those at this critical point in time - clearing the Amazon is the prime example.

An area of the Amazon Rain Forest the size of a futbol (soccer) pitch (field) is cleared every fuckin minute!

2 Likes

It’s okay Wings, you aren’t alone.

Agreed. However I looked up the election–the Brazilian people selected him, Lula’s stand in candidate finished reasonably well below–just enough percentage points to make it uncontestable. Clearly, Brazil is as divided as we are. I bitch mightily about Trump and the Oligarchs, but wtf: we elected him. The onus is on us. Similarly, the onus is on Brazil. What amazes me is that we, they, and a growing percentage of voters worldwide are falling for similar politicians. What is going on?

Anyway, my sense of it would be: if the world wants the rain forests, then somehow the world should buy a lease on them from Brazil. Hugely expensive. But then, we are used to spending trillions on useless things (war); why not spend on preserving nature–especially insofar as the Brazilian electorate seems incapable (as is our own electorate) of tackling this problem.

The one thing all the countries who keep “electing” right wing nutjobs all have in common is the use of proprietary electronic voting machines and dodgy exit polls.
Bolsonaro was installed after a coup and he is now in control of the country’s voting machines.

Regardless of whether or not he had an electoral college win or not, he’s broken the law.

Quite a few in fact.

He “must” pay the Piper.

As must they all on a variety of fronts stretching back decades. So so many have never been called to account. At the same time, still will caution that these people have not illegally seized power, they have won it through electoral processes. A significant percentage of American citizens are as culpable–via their silence, acquiescence, as are the big names.

1 Like