Home | About | Donate

As California Burns, Climate Activists Call on Gov. Gavin Newsom to Stop #FuelingTheFlames

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/08/california-burns-climate-activists-call-gov-gavin-newsom-stop-fuelingtheflames

I read that Israel is using some kind of electric items installed under the roadway which are used to move electric busses around. Wow, what an idea for grid lock in L.A.
I used to live near L.A. and the traffic got worse and worse every year----along with the fires. Before we can do anything we truly need to be able to breathe—and oil and gas and the electric companies need to become nationalized -----as up and down the state incompetent equipment and managers are killing both people and the environment-----------

1 Like

New York banned fracking for good reason and without a large part of the State burning. Sometimes learning from others is a good thing, and saves from having to learn things the hard way.

the pandemic on the rise and the so called science believing governor walks around the fire zone with NO Mask-on himself or the others in his party–just to point out this governor is pushing fracking --one of the most egregious sources of the much more potent green house gas–methane–just like the Democratic candidates for president and vice president-most of the Democratic leadership-a majority of their party in government and every Republican in sight

it appears to me we are being gas lite from all corners by the climate deniers- the science deniers- the fools who call themselves our leaders as they lead us down the spiral toward climate collapse and surges in infections and next the increase in deaths from BOTH as our planet dies before our eyes

tell me again what is it I am supposed to be voting for because all I see are a bunch of damn fool science and climate deniers killing us with their denials in support of their paychecks from the destroyers–the corporations leading the charge into the 6th Great Extinction and the media that WILL NOT DO THEIR JOBS and instead give us a steady diet of propaganda as they cover for these fool science deniers and their dystopian actions

1 Like

Dear California Residents, Please get rid of this fake, feckless, two bit punk governor.

What in heavens name to folks expect when you have decades of agribusiness sucking every last drop to water GMO and agrotoxin laden fields for monopolies. Get a grip folks reality is barreling down on us and its shaped like its name with a trigger of flame.

1 Like

I don’t trust Gavin, especially since he was the consort of Kimberly Guiltyfoyle, who now beds with Don Jr., and makes insane, bizarre speeches on behalf of her Fuhrer.
He’s yet another sellout Democrat, like Pelosi and Feinstein.
California needs to elect authentic progressives instead of faux Democrats like Gavin.

1 Like

I want to move away from natural gas in my home.
But replacing my furnace, stove, and hot water heater will cost $10,000 or more.
All of them work just fine currently, too, so I’d be replacing energy star rated appliances.
If I move to geothermal, my costs will rise to more like $15,000+, plus tear up my entire small backyard.

And the electric utilities are replacing coal-fired plants with cheaper, cleaner natural gas.
Hardly ideal, but a step in the right direction.

Do any commenters have knowledge on how the transition from natgas is going to occur?
We are very bummed about the prospect of an electric stove.

“I read that Israel is using some kind of electric items installed under the roadway which are used to move electric busses around”

I don’t know what they are using but I have read there are materials that can be put in roadways that will generate electricity which can be used for traffic lights, night lights, and other things. It can be stored, or perhaps even be connected to the grid. That sounds like a decent idea to me, but there’s probably some downsides.

1 Like

As they used to say on Battle Star Galactica:
“What the frack?”

Here in NY, Bernie Sanders is supporting and endorsing and trying to get elected at least 15 progressive democrats just on the STATE level. California and the entire country, as a matter of fact, have to start this process of retaking the party of donkeys back from these so called moderate democrats who are really republican lights, corporate hacks. Donkeys with an elephant trunk, ears, and tail.

Cuomo is a moderate donkey who behaves himself most of the time because of a strong progressive base here. But as far as I’m concerned he should be ousted, too.

You’ve seen me comment on California, where my immediate expertise lies, but “transition” is a key challenge, and a tricky term. California has implemented a solar mandate on new homes, while about 35% of its energy comes from renewables at present. Homes built after the 2007 code update are generally far more efficient than those built prior to it. So here, one can actually get mostly renewable power from a utility provider, see switching to solar as not worth it, but also be unhappy with their utility payment. Millions of people have mostly “transitioned,” but aren’t really “feeling” it, in other words. Natural gas also plays a key role in filling voids that renewables can’t fill too.

1 Like

Depends on who wants to transition. For the most part there are no transition away from natgas plans, just transition to natgas plans. Biogas is a viable option but will be done individually not on a community wide basis. it is possible, if we (and all of our infrastructure) survive long enough, we might be able to tap into the carbon sequester stream and divert a portion of the captured CO2 for conversion to CH4 with the addition of some H2 and high-temp/chemical tech to generate some consumer CH4 but it won’t (or shouldn’t be) cheap! Wood and charcoal are good bio-alternative cooking fuels (again w/ some engineering). and electric isn’t bad, especially in the form of induction “burners,” takes getting used to, but it’s not a dramatic leap. Natgas will likely persist until the Collapse, but the “good news” is that the Collapse is coming faster and faster every day.

1 Like

He is not as bad as I thought he would be but he doesn’t understand some of the more basic issues that affect the state. His forest recovery team includes a lot of MBAs not ecologists. You know who his relatives are right?

1 Like

I really don’t understand this sentiment. The Newsom administration is doing very difficult things with respect to climate, like changing the way we deal with transportation dollars to incentivize non-automobile travel (read about SB 743). I really do not think progressives here understand how difficult some of this stuff is to do. Marketing messages like “ban fracking!” and 100,000 foot views of the Green New Deal have obscured the fact that making policy work is challenging. Even climate advocates are divided on key issues, like encouraging multi dwelling development over sprawl and emissions creating single-family housing tracts, for example.

I’m not sure I understand what this “sentiment” means. If you think the GND is a viable solution well then I disagree. From the point of view that in that process the environmental impacts are secondary to just about everything else. In terms of a behavior analysis it is far from meeting the goals presented.

It is better than nothing. I cannot in good conscious support it, so I usually don’t comment.

I do agree that there are quite a few things Progressives don’t understand about political process. To me that should be at the top of the list.

I was not clear. The sentiment I’m meaning is the idea that Newsom is “selling out” when his administration is actually at the forefront of pretty substantiative, and difficult, climate policy. One example I’ve pointed to here multiple times is his transportation policy and the way his administration is changing emphasis from traffic inducing road widening projects to other ways of dealing with congestion. He’s facing substantial local opposition in areas of the state, but it’s essential if we are going to reduce emissions. Reducing emissions from transportation is challenging, it touches lives on an individual level. Measures like requiring utilities to invest in renewables etc. are a whole lot easier to do.

I’m not saying he’s perfect, but there’s a lot of empty criticism of him that’s very ignorant of what is actually happening in the state.

1 Like

Thank for that clarification. I agree that some criticisms are not well founded and more ideologically based. I think this could be improved by a better approach to policy with analysis. An example being the example of multiple dwelling development that would solve some problems and create others and is more of an accommodation of existing issues than a resolution. (take Los Angeles as an example)

He very definitely has some strong points for consideration but he needs to expand his knowledge and reference for environmental issues and have that reflected in his policies.

Note: I would say this applies to most Progressive candidates as well and some that are far worse.

1 Like

We have winter here. Electric baseboard heat sucks.

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot about that. Definitely makes a big difference. Typical Californian.