Home | About | Donate

As CETA Rises from Ashes, Campaigners Vow: 'The More You Insist, the More We Resist'

As CETA Rises from Ashes, Campaigners Vow: 'The More You Insist, the More We Resist'

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The controversial Canada-European Union trade agreement that many declared "dead" now appears to be rising from the ashes, as officials announced Thursday that they have reached a last-minute consensus.

A shame that it looks like CETA will go through. These zombie deals are hard to kill. I wrote earlier that it was too early to celebrate.

Next up is TPP and we need to make sure that is dead, dead, dead.

Aye, but I liken it more to cancer. This thing did not 'rise from the ashes', because it was never 'dead'. The malignant cells responsible may have appeared to be in remission briefly, but until they are eradicated these trade (sic) deals will continue to be a painful and damaging symptom.

The oligarchs know that CETA, TPP, TTIP and TISA are the analogous to the atomic bomb during WWII...whoever launched it would win the war. It will take the 99%'s constant vigilance to fight these regulatory capture schemes disguised as trade deals.

Winning the war in this case means accelerated transfer of wealth from the 99% to the 1% to the extent that it won't take very long before the 1% own everything and the 99% own nothing...neofeudalism in a nutshell.

No, it is not through by a long shot.
From the Canadian Globe and Mail:

Excerpt
QUOTE: A major roadblock had been opposition to the dispute resolution system provision in CETA known as the Investment Court System, or ICS. Critics feared the ICS gave too much power to corporations and would undermine governments’ ability to regulate.
Under Thursday’s agreement, Belgian politicians and officials from the European Commission, which negotiates trade deals on behalf of the EU, agreed to suspend the application of the ICS until all EU member nations have ratified the treaty. That could prove difficult for the fate of CETA going forward because of the ratification process.
The EU has designated CETA as a “mixed treaty,” meaning that it must be ratified by all 28 EU members. However, the EU and Canada had hoped to sign CETA this week and then adopt it on a provisional basis until each state ratified it. However, the Belgium agreement would mean that the ICS could not be adopted provisionally and would only come into force once every EU nation has ratified the treaty. UNQUOTE

If the writer’s assessment is on the mark, that might give us another couple of years and a few national elections in Europe to counter and destroy this toxic deal

Folks, why don't you go and actually read the updated text on line. Nothing really changed other than clarifications. It is an interesting read of how to balance investment capital with national, regional and local governance. There is some surprising sophistication in terms of legal balance and no it isn't a corporate take over blah, blah, blah. Certainly, a lot smarter than NAFTA.

Like the TTIP, the TPP, and TiSA, CETA is a threat to democracy and the constitutional state. It is a corporate protection agreement or free investment agreement that allows corporations to sue states, sets "foreign investors" above labor and environmental protections and will have a chilling effect on legislative efforts to safeguard labor and the environment. No appeals are allowed and corporate lawyers serve as judges in this new high-profit branch. The German Judges Alliance called the TTIP agreement "unnecessary" and special protection of "foreign investors" nonsense.
38 Arguments against the TPP
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2016/05/432226.shtml

You're too smart munkey1
How did you learn all that you know? (I'm curious because most people aren't as aware as you, even though all of the information is available if sought out.)

"I am sorry for all the other Europeans we made wait and for our Canadian partners. But if we took a bit of time, what we achieved here is important, not only for Wallonia but for all Europeans," Magnette said.

If they had included civil society along with international corporations in the negotiations and had never even considered the ICS, this would never have happened. Canada and the other Europeans have no one to blame but themselves. And when so many people are opposed to this deal all over the EU and Canada, it is very difficult for anyone with even a shred of integrity to blame Walloonia.

Hey, we should applaud the Walloons for their actions and some of the concessions they won. I understand there is a provision that would allow regions, such as Wallonia, to opt out and that farmers won some concessions too. Better than before.

Yes, the agreement including implementation of the dispute resolution system must now be ratified by all 28 members of the EU before it can go into effect. But considering Wallonia was the only hold out, why should we think that the 28 members would vote not to ratify? Yes, time has been bought to change minds, a good thing.

I was hoping the deal could be killed all together, right now. So disappointed there. We'll see if momentum against CETA can be continued and it will be ended at a later date.

My understanding of the process within the EU is still a bit muddled, but as far as I can discern, it is still a lengthy one, which could take up to 2 years. That gives "us" (the people of Europe) still ample time to man the barricades and try to upset the deal.
As the sample of Wallonia has shown, we seem to need only one nation to oppose it steadfastly in this "mixed treaty" setup within the EU. That should be achievable with the prevailing popular opposition.