Home | About | Donate

As Climate Crisis-Fueled Fires Rage, Fears Grow of an 'Uninhabitable' California

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/30/climate-crisis-fueled-fires-rage-fears-grow-uninhabitable-california

3 Likes

I say let the Reagan Library burn baby. Then I would know there is a god.

18 Likes

“We’ve simply got to slow down the climate crisis.”

Yep and add population growth and construction in California.
Gee, putting millions of homes in a desert with no local water source. What could go wrong.

13 Likes

This must be what happens when a Chinese hoax comes home to roost.

21 Likes

I had similar thoughts.

1 Like

These fires are unbelievable and no joke. The misery and despair they are creating should be highlighted more by the masse media and the causes emphasized. It is only going to get worse.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Yep, and the misery is not going to stop at the California border. We feed roughly a quarter of the population nationally.

15 Likes

From the article: “openly wondering”.
LOL

I wish I could convey just a little bit of what October-November in California is like. Not so much that you’re terrified stiff, like me. Just enough to maybe tamp down the flippant tone around here. Because I’ll tell you: ordinary folks, especially under-resourced folks, are suffering terribly from these devil dry winds. Three years in a row now. Some folks in Solano County are affecting an apocalyptic monotone. A thousand-mile stare. Now what will we do? Where can we go?

This is a social wound tearing us apart, scattering Californians to the winds. This really hurts. I hope people keep that in mind: This isn’t funny.

19 Likes

Totally agree! When I first heard that, I LMAO! Raygun was the one to dismantle the few crumbs tossed by Carter to deal with the energy crisis, like removing the solar panels from the White House. Karma is a bitch goddess.

4 Likes

Of course it isn’t. It’s horrific. Perhaps people should read The Grapes of Wrath to discover what happened to the Dust Bowl refugees. The irony is that they fled to California. Where can you go? I live in southeastern Michigan. Plenty of jobs. Plenty of water. Housing is sort of affordable. I would welcome you in a heartbeat. We need good people here. We’re not called the Blue Water area for nothing. We have two hospitals, good doctors, great mass transit, decent safety net. And…we have Canada just across the River.

7 Likes

the company’s failure to adequately respond to the increased fire dangers—choosing to reward investors and seek profits instead of making the kind of changes and safety investments that communities and experts have demanded.–exactly why we need publicly owned public utilities.

15 Likes

“Wildfires and lack of affordable housing—these are two of the most visible and urgent crises facing California,”

I would add high taxes and extreme regulation to that list. Most of Cali’s problems are self inflicted including poor land and forest management that leads to devastating fires.

1 Like

Pet peeve: the article used the phrase “new normal” twice in the first three paragraphs. The term is an oxymoron that suggests what we are seeing today is what we will see tomorrow. That’s wrong. It’s going to get much, much worse.

9 Likes

Extreme Regulation? The lack of regulation on the power Industry lead them to scrimping on maintenance so as to maximize profits. PG and E power lines in disrepair were the source of a number of these fires.

Regulations used to keep housing from being built in areas susceptible to these types of catastrophes. At the demand of developers, these regulations were rolled back. More houses were built that enroached on the wilderness.

Added to this regulations that protected water sheds and groundwater supplies were rolled back in favor of Corporations that wanted the freedom to use these resources. Nestle as example has pumped out billions of gallons of groundwater and many areas now lack groundwater to fight these fires. California belatedly tries to address this with more regulations and Herr Trump is overruling those actions and rolling back those regulations.

22 Likes

How long before we see this headline:
AS CLIMATE CRISIS RAGES; FEARS GROW OF AN UNINHABITABLE PLANET!

4 Likes

Let’s face it, if it only included books that Ronny read, it would be the smallest room in the world.

6 Likes

The reason CA is suffering has to do with people building in places that cannot be protected from fire and because the power company failed to invest in fire prevention strategies. It is certainly overpopulated in some areas, but is hardly uninhabitable. Political decisions have determined California’s fate more than climate change–the lack of housing close to cities, urban sprawl, allowing power lines to become menaces, failing to deal with the relative lack of water, sensible forest management, and more. I’m not playing down the forces at play with climate change, but only pointing out the decisions made by politicians that have made conditions worse.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading that headline for years, just not here or elsewhere, wish it were different but it ain’t.

2 Likes