Home | About | Donate

As Confederate Flag Comes Down, Calls for Continued 'Righteous Resistance'

It's great, but as far as change goes, the places that have persisted with flying the flag have already done the deed. The fact that is has to happen this way at this point in history speaks of what a fraud of a nation we really are on many levels. This battle was fought years ago, more than once. When the GOP played off of states rights in the 1980s it was clear that maybe 40% or so of the country really are as stupid as they seem.

When you consider just how racist this nation really is and in such times that unity is needed to overcome the collective crisis of ecological collapse perhaps it will take the collapse of the nation itself to bring forth a new people.

This is a step in the right direction, but this racist flag is a symbol of overt racism; but what is much more insidious....is the covert racism in the U.S.

Thanks for the post. "A fraud of a nation" describes us so well, from privately labeling minorities as second class citizens or worse and publicly supporting denial of their rights & protection given freely to others.

As an aside, maybe because of my age (57) I sort of believe that roughly the twenty years between 1960 and 1980 most of the choices were made to keep up the charade. I know it's cliche, but I distinctly remember the "Southern Strategy" by NIxon and all the give-ins to the idiots in those states, ensuring basically the feds could only go so far in ramming them into the present day. After some point, it was impossible make the Union a reality so to speak. And now those states right now are doing their hysteric thing over everything, marriage equality, Obamacare, etc. It just goes on and on.