Home | About | Donate

As Corporate Forces Push Fast Track Bill, Progressives Draw Battle Lines

As Corporate Forces Push Fast Track Bill, Progressives Draw Battle Lines

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Warning that passing Fast Track legislation would amount to rubber-stamping corporate trade pacts like the Trans-Pacific Partnership, progressives are vowing to hold members of Congress accountable for their votes on the compromise bill announced Thursday—and reminding them of how dangerous such trade policies are for the public, workers, and the planet.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

As Godzilla advances through the forest, Bambi draws a line in the dirt.

At least this article is specific about which critics it considers to be "progressive."

mcp

This whole rotting enchilada that these International Corporations are trying to cram down our throats really makes me want to gag!
This frantic and secretive smoke and mirrors circus act reminds me of who and what our forefathers were really at war with in the Revolutionary War- The major plundering Corporation of the British Empire, the Corporation that the British Aristocracy and King George were so heavily invested in- The East India Company...
If this Fast Track Bill is given any legitimacy, we, as A Nation, are about to be re-colonized!

My letter to "my" US Congressman (I'll be sending a copy with links on the TPP to local media):

If you vote for fast track for the TPP know you do NOT represent me--not that I think you care given I, along with the majority of Americans, do not have deep pockets. If you support the TPP, needless to say, you do not represent me and the repercussions of misery and harm to people the world over by shredding their national laws to protect them in fields of economics, environment, health will rest squarely on your shoulders along with any other authority figures that ram this down-- in secret to boot-- our collective throats. I intend to agitate for total, rolling non cooperation with such a state that deems the collective survival--let alone thriving--of people and the eco-systems that support us to be worth dismissing in place of the obscene capitalist agenda of having the global majority exploited for the very tiny global financial elites.

Update: sent the local news Wikileaks stuff on TPP

What more evidence does any sentient, human being need, to see that the United States of America is now owned and controlled by criminals (who belong in prisons with long-term sentences)? Obviously, one has to have the facts to answer this otherwise rhetorical question. Why do the facts seem so difficult to come by? Another rhetorical question? Not hardly!

One only has had to have been following articles from Independent journalists, who do not obey the corporate filtering process. Reporting that stays focused on the truth can only be found beyond the menacing influences of corporate-owned media. "Common Dreams" has been an oasis of the truth and for the journalist purveyors of truth, since I can remember; since Bill Moyers recommended Common Dreams over ten years ago, to me, on his PBS (third in a series ending 2010), "Bill Moyers Journal"; and he will still recommend it today, I would bet!

And just when did these criminals take over? Some Indy News sources say in 1977. This would have coincided with a major invasion and nascent takeover of our political 2-party system by the oligarch owners of wall street firms. Their personal "think tanks", so-called non-profits, would write the talking points and other new players, names changed and known as multi-national corporations with offshore locations, would sky-rocket into existence. Since, and together, these billionaire entities have continuously pushed Washington and states' politics into today's criminal presence, in my opinion.

Former General Electric spokesperson and darling, President Ronald Reagan (and every US president since, including the new breed of corporate Democrats, through to and including President Obama) have embraced a "New World Order", sometimes called "PNAC", ("Project for the New American Century")[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&profile=default&search=PNAC&fulltext=Search]. Individual people, oligarch, billionaire corporatists, (who get up, eat, talk and sleep, like you and I), have aggressively lobbied, if not, now, wholly own, America's 2-party system! A new world political stage of corporate criminal bankers, or "banksters" and their paid-to-play lackies.

"Battle Lines"? "Progressives"? "Against Fast Track"?

This is just one little skirmish against a force that hasn't even been scouted, reconnoitered, evaluated for strength, analyzed, or correctly identified yet!

This is a war against a Disguised Global Capitalist Empire right within our encampment and we don't even see it coming or know enough to sound the alarm properly as colonial America messenger (later Major) Revere did nearly two and a half centuries ago --- "to arms, to arms, the British" Empire is coming ---- now the DGCEmpire is already here, and we don't even know it!

And our supposed leaders and officers are Royalist / Loyalists to the Empire right within the General Staff tent.

It's not about the Money --- but the EMPIRE behind the money!

The really pivotal issue (of all 'issues') is whether Hillary
(or any one of these neocon ‘R’ Vichy party political puppets,
and neoliberal-con ‘D' Vichy party political puppets) will do
anything about the Empire which is the cancerous CAUSE of all
these 'identity issues', 'symptom problems', and our entire
"ailing social order" ---- all of which is CAUSED by only one central,
seminal, singular, but 'disguised' EMPIRE (the Cancer of all Maladies)
in our sickened body politic.

The answer, of course, is NO ---- Hillary will not even whisper
a word about the Disguised Global Capitalist Empire that she is
auditioning in front of, and 'for which she will front' if (s)elected
as the next faux/Emperor/Empress/president of this Disguised
Global Capitalist Empire's nominal world HQ in the belly of what
most deluded and propagandized citizen/'subjects' wishfully call
'their country'.

As Zygmunt Bauman hauntingly puts it, “In the case of an ailing
social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis…is a crucial, perhaps
decisive, part of the disease.”13

Berman, Morris (2011-02-07). Dark Ages America: The Final Phase of
Empire (p. 22). Norton. Kindle Edition.

Today and HERE, the disease is Empire, and the cure is public
'exposure'.

Perhaps, the non-violent step beyond "Occupy" is not
just "Occupy the Empire" as I had thought and worked
toward for many years, but is mass civil 'actions' of public exposure
with signs reading "Expose the Empire".

Liberty, democracy, justice, and equality
Over
Violent/Vichy
Empire,

Alan MacDonald
Wells, Maine

The following is a quote from the web site for the Progressive Coalition for American Jobs (PCA). PCAJ is the front group the White House's push for the TPP.

We are progressives and Democrats committed to leveling the playing field for American workers, creating jobs here at home, and building a stronger economy for all of us. We’re united by the shared belief that America should lead the way to a more just and connected world – and that the Trans-Pacific Partnership can help us get there.

Here we go again with Congress considering signing legislation without really knowing what it's all about. Kind of like the Patriot Act which just happened to be sitting on The President's desk on Nine One One. This would likewise be yet another example of a willful dereliction of their Congressional fiduciary responsibilities. No wonder their approval rating is through the floor.

The votes on this secret deal will clearly demonstrate which Democrats and which Republicans stand on the side of transnational corporations and Wall Street over the interests of workers and American sovereignty. This is a wonderful opportunity to identify the liars and hypocrites among so-called democratic "progressives" as well as "conservative Tea Party Patriots." And then organize and remove the bastards from office. Could be the beginning of a truly populist movement that goes far beyond electoral politics, which it should if it's going to have any lasting, long-term value. But, there is nothing gained by ignoring elections either, especially local state and congressional races.

The Supreme Court's Citizen's United decision didn't start anything new in the realm of corporate sponsored bipartisan electioneering. It just made it official and opened up the floodgates of corporate / billionaire money to further undermine democratic institutions.

Let the votes on TPP, plus the willingness or lack thereof to accept public campaign financing, provide a measure of who intends to represent the Public Interest, and deserves your support. They are either with the Ninety-Nine, or they are with the Economic Terrorists!

Instead of just polluting message boards, trolls are now putting up their own websites.

Thanks for pointing that out.

mcp

Good for Wall Street, bad for workers.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Back in the 1950's The fear was that the Red Menace would destroy the American government. Well the communists did not succeed but something far worse did. Americans now live in a Capitalistic/ Militaristic dictatorship!

There is no reason to fast track this bill. I have witnessed NAFTA in action, where we lost family wage jobs and our independence. Why can't people wake up and protest? Will it come to violence? If social security is demolished or privatized (for profit, like too many prisons) It will affect us all so badly, and demolish the little bit of trust in our government, and could provide the match for civil bonfires, riots. As for TPP, what do we tell our children in college, oh sorry we let your jobs get shipped overseas? Write, call, anything!

What may be good for Wall Street can be bad for American workers.

If approved, this will be the death knell for American democracy. For ANY president to be complicit in maintaining secrecy around the TPP until it has passed, is profoundly anti-democratic.

I am extremely displeased with the TPP compromise promoted by Senator Ron Wyden. The TPP, in my opinion should not be approved with any fast track authority (TPA). The treaty was negotiated in secret between governments and global corporations. The ISDS provisions are reprehensible. The result of treaties such as NAFTA and CAFTA has destroyed agricultural sectors in poor countries and contributed to income inequality at home. New non-tariff intellectual property provisions regulations pertaining to drugs will further restrict access to needed drugs to poor countries.

Corporations now effectively control Congress, heavily influence the US Supreme Court and are the major cause of our inability to respond to the environmental crisis facing the planet.

The TPP is one more nail in the coffin, and will greatly accelerate the march to full corporate domination.

Right on with your bad self!

Are you with the CIA?

Sadly, there's too much hypocrisy all around. Bill Clinton gave us NAFTA. Before launching her pre-campaign, Hillary Clinton was busy supporting the TPP. Libs use the trade issue to say Republicans are "targeting the poor and middle class." No, Dems took the lead in targeting the poor (and the disabled) since B. Clinton, creating poverty crisis, and liberals have responded with years of waving the Middle Class Only banner. Consider 2016:Normally, the VP goes on to run for president, and Joe Biden is launching his campaign later in summer. Instead, Dems and libs have thrown their support to neoliberal Hillary Clinton -- pro-war, anti-poor, pro-corporate power, anti-New Deal Clinton.