Home | About | Donate

As Court Hears Arguments in Dakota Pipeline Suit, Protesters Say 'Protect Our Water'

As Court Hears Arguments in Dakota Pipeline Suit, Protesters Say 'Protect Our Water'

Nika Knight, staff writer

As peaceful prayer camps grow in North Dakota against the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline, demonstrators in Washington, D.C. are marching and chanting in solidarity while a U.S. federal court hears arguments regarding the Standing Rock Sioux tribe's motion to halt pipeline construction.

What is a thing worth? What makes a thing worth more or less than another, and when one life-style or belief system comes into conflict with another, who decides which is more valuable - "worth" more?

The courts and in fact the "law", are constructs of the "white man's world" - the world of striving and ambition to possess land, things and, money, to become wealthy, sometimes obscenely so. That mind stands in direct conflict with another - a mind/belief system that values Mother Earth and Her creatures, her land and water - Her gift of life - a conflict that has determined our present and will determine our future........

In this case water and "poor" people are pitted against oil & gas and "rich" people. The "weak" against the strong, life on one side, exploitation on the other - after all, water is critical to all life on Earth, not only "water" but healthy life-sustaining water - on the other is a commodity that has been exploited for private profits.

The question is, which "mind" is valued by who and for what, and who will make the decision on which position - world view - is "worth" more.

"The Human Beings, my son, they believe everything is alive. Not only man and animals. But also water, earth, stone. And also the things from them.... But the white man, they believe EVERYTHING is dead. Stone, earth, animals. And people! Even their own people! If things keep trying to live, white man will rub them out. That is the difference." Old Lodge Skins

Political influence and the mechanisms of exploitation and capitalist quest for profits above all else are at the center of this conflict about life sustaining water (and I might add: healthy air, soil, food and the ability to live - to live simply, so that others may simply live................

I hope they're successful. Now is a good time to have new Senators & Members of Congress. I wish they'd convince the American people to vote for Jill Stein.

I am 100 percent behind the First Nations peoples of the Dakota's. Their fight is our fight.

One thing I do not understand is the role of the US military here. Why do they even have input into this issue?

It seems to me the First Nations people have been fighting the US army long enough.

It's increasingly looking like it's not our water, but their water - and not in North Dakota alone.

It is the ghost of George Armstrong Custer.
;-})

The law being our constitution. The second constitution written in secret by rich white men for rich white men. I doubt a court finding from this bunch to stray far from rape the earth for profits. I think the answer is in the people rising as one and speaking as one against the rip off of resources meant for all by a few for their personal profit.

Nice comment by the way.

Love your comment, especially the quotation from Old Lodge Skins. If only we would learn from our wise ones before it is too late.

Thank you to the Indian Nations working together to help all of us. Wonder how long it will take for the down stream people to realize what is happening.

please excuse the source:

Obama, Clinton, Trump and even Sanders (who should be there)-----will have blood on their hands for their silence on this----these pipelines are pipelines of death. Of course most know this . . .

And I second oldandhappy's thanks to the Indian Nations for taking a stand on this and so many other critical issues related to life on earth for all living things.