Home | About | Donate

As DAPL Construction Approaches Missouri River, Water Protectors Stay Strong

As DAPL Construction Approaches Missouri River, Water Protectors Stay Strong

Nika Knight, staff writer

As Dakota Access Pipeline construction quickly approaches the Missouri River, the Standing Rock Sioux and allies are vowing to continue their resistance against the pipeline—standing strong despite the violent arrests and inhumane treatment by police, and continued threats from government and industry forces.

" It's pretty terrifying to know that Dakota Access has infiltrators in our camp." Goldtooth

Agents provocateurs have infiltrated the water protectors camp? The good news is it looks more and more like the DAPL people are getting more and more desperate! The bad news is these provocateurs are escalating the situation and could kill or wound the police blaming it on the non-violent and brave Lakota Sioux.

I hope that things take a turn for the better for all on site.

Are any of the big media outlets there filming? The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, etc...???

What price might that be?

What do you know about anything? Not everything has a price or is comprehensible to a person who believes everything has a dollar value. Go drink money and breathe smoke.

Oh yes, "luv".

You make many unwarranted assumptions. I am no Christian and view Christianity as one of the basic underpinnings of our culture of death. We are a small species on an obscure planet in a universe which is beyond our ability to apprehend. Your grasp of morality seems pretty materialistic and utterly simplistic. I will say to you what I used to say to my brutal right wIng Christian father, "You don't know anything. You just believe it."

You appear sympathetic to their cause, but you don't seem to get it. The land is sacred. All land is sacred. We are nothing without it. I know this idea is contrary to Western cultural norms, but those norms are myopic to say the least. Land-based cultures understand that respect for land is fundamental to the long term survival of humans on this planet. Western civilization doesn't recognize this.

OK, some simple ways to help:

White House petition: bit.ly/Standing RockWH

Army Corps of Engineers: (202) 761-5903

ND Governor Jack Dalrymple: (701) 328-2200

Write letters and opinion pieces to your local papers

Donate items: http//sacredstonecamp.org/supply-list/

Legal Defense Fund: https://fundrazr.com/d19fAf

Start or join events: bit.ly/NODAPLEvents

So, I'd like to know where you get the idea that they want a "price" ....

Not that I know of, but you can be rest assured if one of these provocateur, oil goons manages to incite violence....THEY WILL ALL BE THERE!

You give Canadians a bad name, Don.
Talk about a whackjob.

The LA Times is quoted in the article. There was an article in Saturday Oct 29th issue of the New York Times. The Seattle Times has a reporter and photographer there for one week. Democracy Now, Common Dreams, and especially the Indigenous Environmentalist Network, and on FB. MSNBC's Laurence O'Donnell, "The Last Word," has some good interviews.

There is a sunrise prayer ceremony most every morning. I attended, and it was very moving. They believe in the Great Spirit. I do not understand your post. I as a Quaker was blessed to be there for four days on Standing Rock Sioux land, and camping out there with my grown daughter and two friends. Like "Idle No More," the indigenous people in Canada, who were bravely and peacefully protesting pipelines in Canada and in Nebraska (I think), they are leaders in environmental justice, and the need to change this climate change situation. I respect their commitment and leadership. They want to preserve the sacred water, the drinking and irrigation water in the Missouri River , as well as for 17 million people living downstream. They are defending Mother Earth, for seven generations to come.

Superstitious beliefs? You mean like a talking snake?

"The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society."

I'd say that the protestors position is based primarily on a logical, open-minded view of our relationship with nature. People of various beliefs and non-beliefs are supporting these activists.

Though I began to abandon my religious beliefs in 1949, I must admit that among my most important teachers were Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists, as well as atheists and agnostics. I've had no problem marching alongside such folks when it comes to various issues.

If you were in a dangerous situation, would you refuse help from someone wearing a crucifix or other religious symbol?

Your putting a limit on the word "sacred". It does not mean only religious values, but a "reverence" for things of great importance, such as nature itself.

A nice source that explains this is Jerry Mander's book, "In the Absence of the Sacred", 1991.