Home | About | Donate

As 'Dark Stain' of Guantánamo Begins 20th Year, Groups Demand Biden Close Offshore Prison

I wasn’t conned. They are all politicians. They all will lie when it suits their needs politically or personally. Not a single one is without stain. Yet, vote we must against oppression. The single most important thing his administration did was afford health insurance to millions who would not have it otherwise and there’s that provision about being able to carry your child on your own health insurance until they are 26 years old. I have a healthy daughter but her eczema medications are through the roof without insurance not to mention her epi-pen which saves her life until she can reach a hospital. Yes, it’s not perfect but it was a hell of a lot more than any Republican president would ever advocate for and look at how many want to kill the ACA with zero plan of their own. Be real. Are you waiting for someone who walks on water to lead the nation?

Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment.

Thanks, Ticki, for your honesty, as 44’s lie was a whopper. A constitutional law expert who righteously railed against Gitmo for years, particularly during the 2-years of his presidential campaign. He didn’t lift a finger during the 2 years when his party had control of Senate and House.

This disgusting travesty of human rights violations continues, and CD is right to draw attention to this “Dark stain,” entering its 20th year.

President-elect Biden can appoint 44 to head a commission to close Gitmo. That would be a human rights success for both of them and this country.

Ok which is it - do you believe he made that promise genuinely or …

They are all politicians. They all will lie when it suits their needs politically or personally.

The ACA is another issue (and I’m happy for you that your situation isn’t even worse as it might have been under a McCain admin). But on Guantanamo, you are equivocating. Did he lie or not?

Are you waiting for someone who walks on water to lead the nation?

I was willing to read a lot of criticism from the left on Bernie Sanders (most often related to the F-35) and still happily cast my primary vote for him (a bit before he gave up). I didn’t think Sanders walked on water and I had other complaints besides the F-35, but I am able to vote for someone who isn’t perfect. For me, the closest to perfect in positions and articulating an issue is Ralph Nader. Though I don’t agree with his stance on nuclear power, and I’d prefer he had entered politics as a Rep or Senator and then run for president. Obama for me ranks below Jimmy Carter, but perhaps not below Bill Clinton. I actually expect Biden to be a bit better than Obama which isn’t saying much.