Home | About | Donate

As Deadline Fast Approaches, House Members Warned to Defend Net Neutrality or "Face Internet's Wrath"

As Deadline Fast Approaches, House Members Warned to Defend Net Neutrality or "Face Internet's Wrath"

Jon Queally, staff writer

With less than a week before the FCC's "resoundingly unpopular" repeal of net neutrality rules go into effect on June 11th, defenders of the open internet and online consumers are warning members of the U.S. House of Representatives to either immediately back a resolution petition that would nullify the rules or "face the internet's wrath."

"People are going to be pissed off. Really pissed off. And rightly so. It's hard to imagine a more clear example of how our democracy is broken." —Evan Greer, Fight for the Future

The internet, having been developed using federal funding, belongs to the commons. Of course the forces of privatization will try to pry it from the people. Power to the people!

A little nuance here, that “Federal funding” came thru the conduit of the Pentagon.

See “Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet” by Yasha Levine

But of course the Pentagon funding came from…the People!

So do you feel that cruise missiles, cluster bombs and white phosphorus part of the “commons.”

Putting words into my mouth is EXACTLY the tactic that a former right-wing friend used to use. I emphasize “former.”

Is this one of your consensus-building skills? If so, the left is in BIG trouble.

No, it’s part of the ‘uncommons’ that are derived from stealing the commons from the folks it belongs to, built by folks that love to kill other folks. Fuck ‘those’ folks…

The recent Trump/GOP Congress’ military funding exceeds what the Pentagon requested, confirming the extent of the stranglehold that the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) has on all branches of the DC gubmit. MIMIC is all about maximizing their revenue and don’t give a rip about actual “defense”.

Congresscritters pandering to MIMIC and other corporate interests have a K Street lobbying job with their name on it awaiting them upon their retirement from Congress or in the event that they lose an election. The K Street jobs start at $1 million/year for single term critters, $2 million/year and up for multi-term critters. Beats the $174k Congresscritter salary, so they don’t care if you don’t vote for them.

As Deadline Fast Approaches, House Members Warned to Defend Net Neutrality or "Face Internet’s Wrath"

"Any lawmaker of any party who fails to sign the discharge petition in support of the CRA will regret it come election time."

I’m sure that AT&T, Comcast and Verizon really FEAR “internet wrath” …

but perhaps the idea of pulling the plug on cable would put a bit more fire under the “warning” than
the next election would?

Especially if you understand that our elections are “rigged” and always have been?

Kill every politician that votes against Net Neutrality.

Their political career, that is.

Right answer!

Add this little joy to the mix:

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/06/trump-takes-aim-at-pre-existing-conditions/

We could get a two-fer!

So we must protect internet neutrality as a National Defense Issue? Sure and true that a politically misinformed population is a real and constant threat to the founding principals of Our nation. Works for me.

I suppose that it is. What is your point? If you live in a world where your nation does nothing that your tax dollars support and you disapprove of then you are truly blessed. I live in the USA and Our hands are as dirty as any.

Political scientists Benjamin Page and Martin Gilens: “Our analyses suggest that majorities of the American public actually have little influence over the policies our government adopts."

In other words we as average taxpayers have no say over how our tax dollars are used. If we have no say then the concept of government spending or policy as a “commons” is an illusion. “Democracy” in the US is really just a marketing term for the vast majority. If you’re a billionaire the US can reasonably be called a democracy. If we are going to bring about positive change, the first thing we need to do is stop deluding ourselves.