Home | About | Donate

As Energy for Medicare for All Soars, Pelosi Aide Reportedly Assured Insurance Industry That Democratic Leaders Remain 'Allies'

As Energy for Medicare for All Soars, Pelosi Aide Reportedly Assured Insurance Industry That Democratic Leaders Remain 'Allies'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As Medicare for All advocates point to surging grassroots energy behind the bold policy to argue that the key question now "is not if we will win, it is when," a report by The Intercept on Tuesday intensified concerns that the Democ

3 Likes

Pressure is indeed building and it’s interesting to see corporate democrats run and hide for cover. They look like deers-in-the-headlights, not sure what to do as the world passes them by. Gone are days of empty platitudes, vague promises and backroom deals. This train is coming down the tracks full speed and it holds the promise of wiping the corporate democrats from their prized leadership positions.

In 2020, this will be the key presidential issue and the public is listening very, very closely. Mark my words, it is on this issue that Kamala Harris campaign will eventually flounder. She doesn’t really believe in Medicare of all and the weasel words have already started to creep into her speeches. Hiding and obfuscation are not options; support it or politically die. It’s that simple.

16 Likes

“If the purpose of political parties is solely to maintain their own power, then it’s time to abolish them”.

11 Likes

Harris has never been a progressive, she’s already walked back on the insurance industry being involved with healthcare in this country. I didn’t believe her claim of supporting M4A for a min.
You are right about 2020, every candidate had better be onboard, they might think their safe, but this just might be the issue that puts the people on the rampage.

Now it’s time for the Democrat apologists to show up and tell us this story isn’t true, Nancy would never do that, and we must support the party.

12 Likes

Certainly is a bitter pill to swallow realizing once again, this isn’t “your” country. You, fellow citizens, are just along for the ride.

6 Likes

Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leaders are against Medicare for All and on the side of big insurance companies? I’m shocked - shocked! NOT.

The Dem leadership are vile, corrupt leeches who need to be booted out and I don’t know how many more examples the Party faithful need. Oh, wait - cue the trolls - I must just be sexist for despising Pelosi, huh? Or the Russians have beamed propaganda into my brain.

12 Likes

I will forgo the failures of the dem establishment, and simply reference the Green Party platform, their second key value, Social Justice, item F.1, Single-Payer Health Care.

13 Likes

Really you’d have to be asleep not to see this coming.
We had a great bill (HB 676, the gold standard), it had been around a long time in the House. Then Bernie rolls out his bill in the Senate, not up to the gold standard. Next a “progressive” party member in the House decided to re-write it (we still haven’t seen anything yet), and re-number it to confuse the public. Now this, lying and confusing the public to keep their corporate paymasters happy, it never ends.

4 Likes

yeah, got that the first time. go with that.

Sorry, but people like Pelosi are far better at beating back the left than the Republicans are. The Democrats force the left to work within their rotten, corrupt party, and then when they do, organizations like Pelosi’s DCCC throw the kitchen sink at the left. The DCCC went far enough to actually release opposition research on a left of center candidate in the last election cycle. The left has to first get out of the Democratic Party’s primary, and Pelosi does all she can to make sure that never happens. Whatever emerges will please the donors of both parties and will almost certainly be an inferior candidate when it comes to fighting for working people, poor people, communities of color, our democracy and the environment.

The fact that the left had no one to run against her to be leader in the House is telling. This horrible woman gave a speech honoring Pete freaking Peterson on the House floor. If you don’t know who he is, look him up. She essentially honored a Koch brother on the House floor, and she buys into his utter bullshit on deficits, public debt and the “solvency” of programs like Social Security. It’s amazing how much the Democrats do to sap people of any hope they have of her dying party and this rotten system.

9 Likes

Jesus H Christ. The far left wing purity police are in force today. Say, here’s an idea: try to actually put your brains to work. When the average working man discovers that his very good employment based insurance is disappearing then these people get worried! Then think about the insurance company propaganda that would hit everywhere like a sledgehammer. For now, at least, we need to make the ACA as good and as all encompassing as possible. That would be very good indeed and doable.

No, the apologists will sound more like Sherrod Brown and will just lecture you on “pragmatism”. You can only get 3% change, and if thousands of your fellow Americans die from their pragmatism every year, if many more go bankrupt and are stuck in crappy jobs they hate, if we all wind up spending far more than other countries in this nightmare of an inefficient system, oh well. Politicians should no longer be expected to actually solve problems and to come up with solutions. Their job is to do next to nothing, and to convince you that anything more isn’t realistic. Complete lack of moral leadership, total policy incoherence, no real alternatives, no real vision, no path from here to where we want and need to go. This is the Democratic Party under people like Pelosi.

King had a few things to say about white moderates like her. You know, the people that media hacks like Joy Ann Reid provide cover for daily:

…I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

In your statement you assert that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But is this a logical assertion? Isn’t this like condemning a robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the evil act of robbery? Isn’t this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical inquiries precipitated the act by the misguided populace in which they made him drink hemlock? Isn’t this like condemning Jesus because his unique God consciousness and never ceasing devotion to God’s will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion? We must come to see that, as the federal courts have consistently affirmed, it is wrong to urge an individual to cease his efforts to gain his basic constitutional rights because the quest may precipitate violence. Society must protect the robbed and punish the robber. I had also hoped that the white moderate would reject the myth concerning time in relation to the struggle for freedom. I have just received a letter from a white brother in Texas. He writes: “All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but it is possible that you are in too great a religious hurry. It has taken Christianity almost two thousand years to accomplish what it has. The teachings of Christ take time to come to earth.” Such an attitude stems from a tragic misconception of time, from the strangely irrational notion that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually, time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity.

…I had hoped that the white moderate would see this need. Perhaps I was too optimistic; perhaps I expected too much. I suppose I should have realized that few members of the oppressor race can understand the deep groans and passionate yearnings of the oppressed race, and still fewer have the vision to see that injustice must be rooted out by strong, persistent and determined action. I am thankful, however, that some of our white brothers in the South have grasped the meaning of this social revolution and committed themselves to it. They are still all too few in quantity, but they are big in quality. Some -such as Ralph McGill, Lillian Smith, Harry Golden, James McBride Dabbs, Ann Braden and Sarah Patton Boyle–have written about our struggle in eloquent and prophetic terms. Others have marched with us down nameless streets of the South. They have languished in filthy, roach infested jails, suffering the abuse and brutality of policemen who view them as “dirty nigger-lovers.” Unlike so many of their moderate brothers and sisters, they have recognized the urgency of the moment and sensed the need for powerful “action” antidotes to combat the disease of segregation. Let me take note of my other major disappointment. I have been so greatly disappointed with the white church and its leadership.

4 Likes

Being fed up with 10’s of thousands dying every year for lack of coverage, in the richest country on Earth, makes one purity police? Do you work in the industry?

10 Likes

How cut off and entitled to you have to be to say such a monstrously stupid thing? Up to 45,000 people die every year because of this healthcare system. Do you care? What is your actual solution? Will it result in 25,000 people dying, not 45,000? If so, how “pragmatic” you are. We spend more per capita than anyone on healthcare, highest percentage of GDP goes to spending on healthcare than any country in the world according to World Bank data. Will your plan make it so that we spend 5% less than we do now? If so, bravo! Will it stop massive amounts of bankruptcies, job lock? No, but who cares, right? Will it reduce the massive amounts we spend on drug prices? These purity police want actual solutions to problems. How unrealistic to expect people elected to government to actually solve problems. People trot out “purity” when they have dick for an argument, nothing to offer on policy and when they want to provide cover for corruption. You check all three boxes with your bullshit.

But you got your post in, so Correct the Record or whatever the hell snake organization you are connected to will give you the cut due to you.

10 Likes

Joan Robinson for President 2020!

2 Likes

I just received an email alert that the Senate just passed S.1, the legislation that criminalized the israel BDS movement and begins the attack on our rights to protest. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY) and two presidential contenders, Senators Corey Booker (D-NJ) and Kamala Harris (D-CA) abstained from voting on the bill. Harris is not one to advance any progressive policies. She’s a fraud.

https://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/Americans-silenced-and-Israel-protected-under-a-Senate-bill.shtml

6 Likes

The “average working man” no longer HAS “very good employment based insurance” - he/she is a contractor with no benefits now.

5 Likes

Try to put your brain to work: through Medicare, medicaid and the VA, over half of insured Americans have government coverage already.

Also: My employer-provided insurance is mostly paid for out my salary.

1 Like

Nancy is that you?

3 Likes

Yeah, S. 1 is disgusting, question now is can we apply enough pressure in the House to kill it? That’s a toss-up.
Harris’s record in CA. is what trips her up as a progressive for me. Lying has always been bad in politics, but it’s to the point now, if their talking, their lying.
Thanks for the link.

1 Like