Home | About | Donate

As EPA Restricts Pesticide Use, Environmentalists Call for More Action

As EPA Restricts Pesticide Use, Environmentalists Call for More Action

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday announced restrictions on new or expanded uses of harmful neonicotinoid pesticides that may pose risks to honey bees and other pollinators, but environmental groups say the moratorium—while welcome—does not go far enough.

A more than 30-year veteran beekeeper, I had seven healthy hives just a few months ago. Today, although blessed with orange blossoms everywhere, only three have survived. One of my many new neighbors freely sprays some vile stuff on the plants from my side of the privacy fence which dare to hang over onto his side. The subdivision is rife with newbies who openly carry about and spray from containers of Roundup. Many plants and trees are completely cut down and poisoned by the homeowners who treat what little of Mother Nature that survives their lawn-keeping like furniture inside their living rooms. No regulations mean that folks will use lethal stuff liberally everywhere.

De-regulation is not good.

Is there a less effective organization in the known universe than the EPA?

I would mention the Republican't Party but they swore to destroy the government and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

I guess it all goes along the same road and there isn't much you or I can do about it. Chemical companies are killing the creatures that pollinate our food. Energy companies along with the coal and oil companies are polluting our atmosphere and causing our planet's water and air to warm enough to cause droughts while the oil extraction companies poison the very water of life. Our population is exploding while droughts sterilize the soil of our gardens. Somehow being seventy years old doesn't seem all that much of a worry. I wonder if the descendants of cockroaches will wonder over the stuff we leave behind.

Very sorry to hear about your bees and your mindless neighbors. I can only think that you should cut back your over hanging (my least favorite option) trees and increase the height of your fence. Arrghh. I guess, if you don't have restrictions and are allowed to do so. Best of luck. Bees need these trees and flowers and we need these bees. Michael

Evaggelos Vallianatos' recent book Poison Spring: The Secret History of Pollution and the EPA chronicles how the EPA, from its inception in 1970, has not protected the environment but instead been an active agent in its poisoning.

Valliantos, who worked for the EPA for 25 years, writes that the EPA's fraud began at its very inception when it was initially staffed by USDA employees already indoctrinated into corporate agriculture and the use of lethal technologies. Chronically underfunded and with an industry bias, the EPA typically has cut and pasted industry studies of their own products and made these the basis of government regulations.

Many pesticides studies were performed by labs such as the discredited Industrial BioTest Laboratories (IBT) which registered glyphosate (Roundup) and 2,4-D through fraudulent studies that remain the basis of their certification today.

"Poison Spring chronicles some of the consequences of that fraud in an agency snared in its own tangled lies: cover-ups of dioxin levels in drinking water and in dead babies; routine suppression of data linking pesticides to soaring rates of cancer, birth defects, and chronic disease; industry access to everything; “revolving door” administrators serving corporate bosses; political appointees dismantling EPA labs and data libraries to dispose of damaging evidence; the cutting of research funds for nontoxic alternatives; the harsh retribution visited on whistleblowers; and ever and again, bureaucrats, with full knowledge of the consequences, setting policies that result in death and suffering. For 25 years, Vallianatos saw and documented it all." --From a review of Poison Spring in Independent Science News.