Home | About | Donate

As Far Right Storms Capitol, Media Need to Look at Their Own Role in How We Got Here

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/07/far-right-storms-capitol-media-need-look-their-own-role-how-we-got-here

4 Likes

Good work Julie. Mainstream corporate media culpability in bringing
fascism to America has been been a key component since Trump’s 2016 election; and Hitler didn’t have such high tech communications.

4 Likes

Perhaps if the “losers” of presidential elections past hadn’t “accept[ed] the (rigged) results and the legitimacy of their opponents” who stole them, we might not be where we are today.

But they’re Democrats, who like the corpress ignore the true electoral fraud, so what ya gonna do?

4 Likes

Les Moonves: Trump’s run is 'damn good for CBS '.

In a nutshell, right there. We witnessed a “reality TV” transition of power moment brought about by two decades of decadent “entertainment” that flattens rather than expands the mind. Now I haven’t watched TV for about fifteen years and never watched “reality TV” but certainly saw enough commercials for the shows to understand what I was not missing. When Jefferson penned his thoughts on watering the tree of Liberty from time to time, he envisioned an educated populace and would find “reality TV” to be the antithesis of education. Take a close look at the mob in the Capitol. Each and everyone went into their closet and found what they envisioned to be their “tough guy/gal” outfit. Their leader? Trump. Couldn’t even get his daughter to do a special designer revolutionary outfit for the occasion. Some leader. Put him in a wet paper bag with the end opened and he would be challenged to find his way out of it. The “man” allegedly has the nuclear codes (I call bullshit on that). If no one can find the spine to give him the 25th nor impeach and remove him, then medicate the hell out of him and I shall buy all of the KFC and McD’s, etc. he wants for two weeks. Seriously, send me the bill. Let’s do a GoFundMe and make it a national effort so we can all participate. Hopefully, the social media firms will cut him off, too. Dear Donald, we are so over you…

1 Like

The media lending legitimacy to Ronnie Raygun’s trickle down forty years ago launched pre-reality TV that softened up voters for reality TV at the end of the 20th century.

Being an actor, Raygun morphed the military industrial complex into the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) that did a lot of redefining (like calling civilian deaths “collateral damage”) and sanitizing pre-emptive US occupations and wars.

1 Like

Excellent piece by Julie Hollar, and more excellent work by FAIR.
I would make one point about “understanding Trump voters,” as has been urged by some journalists, and has some on the left has criticized as useless and perhaps dangerous apologies for racism and violence. I believe that trying to understand Trump voters, particularly those who voted for Obama, is extremely important. The problem is that the MSM faces a taboo of talking about our growing structural inequality, which is the single biggest factor that makes a society vulnerable to demagogues like Trump. It therefore finds itself with the incentive to say Trump’s name over and over, for ratings, without ever mentioning the name of Bernie Sanders, which would threaten their advertising dollars from the health insurance industry, pharmaceutical giants, and in some cases, their parent companies (think General Electric) who benefit from our perpetual war footing. So all the MSM can do is wring its hands about racism, which makes its establishment audience feel good about itself, without explaining why voters in 2016 apparently became more racist than they were in 2008 or 2012.

1 Like

media needs to realize truth matters and to start broadcasting the truth instead of the lies of corrupt politicians and their corrupt institutions and the false equivalencies they are so fond of-of course they won’t–why???–because their owners–all very large corporations–LIKE what is happening–it is making them money hand over fist

1 Like