Home | About | Donate

As Feds Launch Probe, Users Discover 'Horrifying' Reach of Facebook's Data Mining

As Feds Launch Probe, Users Discover 'Horrifying' Reach of Facebook's Data Mining

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As the fallout from Facebook's Cambridge Analytica scandal continued on Monday with the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) announcement that it is conducting a long-overdue probe into the tech giant's privacy practices, many Facebook users are only now discovering the astonishing and in some cases downright "

2 Likes

Many years ago, my cousin told me to join the 20th century and start using Facebook. I told her that, in my opinion, Facebook was an invasion of privacy, so I wouldn’t ever use it.
*Looks like I was right on the money.
;-})

14 Likes

It’s good to be poor with nothing to lose, humble as opposed to proud, having no real friends and having no reputation of note. Thus all of this is quite irrelevant.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that FB’s logo should be that all-too-familiar cartoon meme of a man with hairy legs wearing a trench coat deliberately opened and (thankfully) pointing into the page. (I had enchiladas for dinner last night should you be interested–smothered with delicious green mole, onions, tomatoes, and avocado.)

6 Likes

Finally I get to enjoy some targeted research! I hope my significant other won’t mind, but seeing that she romps around on all fours and wears a choke collar I think it’s a good bet.

3 Likes

Greed is bad enough in the oil industry but eventually the oil run out but in the data collection industry the more data you gather the more valuable your data becomes and there is no end of data, it just continues to grow. It appears that Facebook may be destroying its reputation because of greed and its determination to be a monopoly. It is almost impossible for any company to compete with it because it now has so much data that their data if far more valuable than any competitors data could be. The percentage of people who trust Facebook should be zero. Who would trust it? Users should always remember that their data is Facebook’s product which it sells to its customers who are mainly advertisers and the content is provided by the users for an extremely low wage, nothing. Who knew that Facebook was even collecting metadata. Another reason to use a land line phone. If that weren’t enough local police can intercept cell phone calls. Many people, especially younger people, do not have a land line phone and only use cell phones. That means it is virtually impossible for them to make a call that they can be certain is private. I think Zuckerberg was one of the people who exclaimed that privacy is over. It certainly would be if he has his way from what has occurred so far.

5 Likes

Relax Dan. This is just the Private Sector.

It’s not like the Feds have anything like this.

1 Like

That it is a giant data-mining operation was obvious from the get-go. But the common desire to jump into the mix and let it all hang out is apparently a strong one, easily overpowering caution and common sense. We’re social animals, after all, and cynical manipulation takes advantage of that. But it’s like the old saw reminds us - if the ‘service’ is free, you are the product.

2 Likes

Hello rolson, I hope that you are being sarcastic. If not the 3 letter alphabet have almost everything that all of us do and say recorded for posterity!!! Everything is vacuumed up by the pedabyte!!!

That’s the big story here… that anyone would be naive to have trusted them in the first place.

-slaps palm on forehead-

4 Likes

During startup, Facebook was provided seed money with suspicious CIA links. Enough said.

4 Likes

Too-big-to-fail Overlords: Facebook, Google, ad nauseum.
Oooh, lovable, reassuring brand names.

1 Like

Another criminal enterprise that made Billions from stealing.

Only the truly addicted will make excuses for this thievery.

3 Likes

What breed is she WiseOwl? Your significant other.

I want a dinner invite!

She’s a re-rescue Plott Hound, bred to hunt bear in the NC mountains.

1 Like

O Fortuna…things are sometimes not at all what they first appear to be…

1 Like

As bad (and unsurprising) as this news is about Facebook, don’t you suppose that anyone who uses the internet is vulnerable to having their information compromised? The NSA, CIA, FBI et al routinely monitor those they deem potential - uh, national security risks, ie, anyone who questions the official government line about anything. Are they supposed to? Ha, does it matter?

2 Likes

Ya know what? CD is part of it! They ENCOURAGE USERS TO SIGN IN WITH IT!
For our “convenience”.

CD is as sincere as the DNC in representing little old us! If it weren’t for the few commenters here that appear to be genuine, I wouldn’t even remember the site’s name, let alone visit.
Yeah, I’m pizzy right now. I’ve been dealing with the farce known as “digital security” a bit too much lately. Also, seeing the level of hypocrisy in the headline just hits a nerve.

Does commondreams.org recieve any form of compensation or advantage for integrating facebook, twitter, etc. into the login process for commondreams.org?
Spill it.

4 Likes

At least five years ago when Facebook announced “It’s always on your permanent record” rules, I shut my Facebook account down.

You can shut yours down too, as much as Facebook allows.

Then the question is, where will we find the open source Facebook that no dishonest person can own?

3 Likes