Home | About | Donate

As Fires Rage in World's Largest Rainforest NASA Warns 'Human Activities Are Drying Out the Amazon'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/06/fires-rage-worlds-largest-rainforest-nasa-warns-human-activities-are-drying-out

There will have to come a time when, in the interests of all, countries are not sovereign in their actions.

3 Likes

I feel sad that the guy who tried to assassinate Bolsonaro failed.

I think that time was billions and billions (of people) ago.

2 Likes

Why we need a UN with teeth–tout suite!

1 Like

An evolved or evolving civilisation would not see that eroding the speciesystem as productive .They would find away to balance the total needs of the speciesystem.This choice is made rather than serve the desires of one small portion of the system (the loggers and land clearers for cattle ) ,for the obvious understanding that no species within the system can survive if the system itself is destroyed.

We must Wake Up fast …consciousness is rising but those in power are mostly beings of lower consciousness I would presume or they wouldn’t be doing what they are doing .We might have to interrupt their borrowed authority .

2 Likes

We must.

1 Like

Go here to this Earth map and see how dry it is in real-time, warning, not for the faint of heart…

1 Like

A UN with teeth? Useless Nonentity.

Haven’t looked yet.

The real agriculture-based sequestration R&D (no, silly, there’s not one penny of money being spent on it) is going to be worldwide in scope with regional focus. Every acre can, with proper technique, possibly sequester more carbon per year or at least give up less carbon.

Here we’re watching gross misuse of half a continent. The rain forest is being turned into permanent savanna, a relatively dry grassland with monsoon weather that doesn’t absorb that much carbon dioxide per acre. On other continents savanna is being turned into scrub brush or desert.

Some researchers are studying the art and science of replanting trees in arid areas. Water catchments contoured into a hillside will help young trees survive. Piles of rocks will precipitate night fog into dew, which the young trees need. Trees with deep roots survive moderate droughts fairly well. Trees provide windbreaks for agricultural crops, they shade the ground, preventing moisture loss, and they humidify the local air.

1 Like

Great link, thanks. But I don’t see where the RH is all that unusual this time of year.

What’s not for the faint of heart is the overlay of chemicals in the atmosphere. Ay caramba.

Did you check the 3-hour precip.? :-(((

Earth map is a wonderful resource but sometimes I’m not quite ready for the shock factor(s).

1 Like

Happens the day after US loses veto power

Yes…I do believe you are barking up the right tree there…