Home | About | Donate

As Florence Makes Landfall, Poorest Once More Likely to Suffer Most From Storm's Destruction

As Florence Makes Landfall, Poorest Once More Likely to Suffer Most From Storm's Destruction

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As Hurricane Florence officially made landfall Friday, and forecasters warn of "life-threatening, catastrophic flash flooding," some attention has turned to residents across mandatory evacuation zones in the Carolinas and Virginia who chose to stay or were unable to leave, and how the poorest often pay the highest price when faced with a natural disaster.

Here is an article that looks at how the oldest nuclear power plant in the United States is highly vulnerable to Hurricane Florence:

It is likely that the wisdom of building nuclear power plants along coastlines will seem rather foolish in the long-run.

My sister-in-law lives in North Carolina and is not poor, but just got a text from her that her power is out and using her generator, but what about the poor that cannot afford a generator?

It is the same old story - the poorest people suffer while the republican elite celebrate a new opportunity to grab land or other resources - you know - to redevelop. Under the guise of emergency, they can do almost anything. We are under the leadership of a self interested elite much like the plantation owners who used to run things in North and South Carolina.

They better have can food and bottled water, I don’t expect much of a response from FEMA. I have seen times here on the Gulf Coast where we went a month without power and no ice, back then almost nobody had generators. You pool you’re resources with neighbors, cook what’s in you’re freezers first, on the grill, then turn to can goods.

The authorities over-sold this storm, and that’s unfortunate for these people in the future. Yes there’s major damage, that’s expected, it’s a hurricane. But telling people this event was going to be the storm of a lifetime or it would have the surge of a cat. 5 is wrong, and will bite them in the ass in the future. When the storm of their lifetimes does come the people won’t heed the warnings as they should, because they will expect the same results as this one. We want everyone to be prepared, but you don’t want their guard down in the future.

There is both an art and science to meteorology, i.e. still not 100% accurate (if ever). Better to apply the precautionary principle than not.

Good advice! Thanks.

Tell me about it in the future, when they truly have “the storm of their lives”, and thousands die because they compare this normal storm to a real monster. I have weathered 8+ cat 2 or above storms in my life (and worked as a Firefighter/EMT through 3), how much storm experience do you bring to the table.

Sharing this post:

NEWS HEADLINES SHOW LITTLE CONCERN FOR ANIMALS DURING HURRICANE FLORENCE

Hurricane Florence Threatens to Spread Hog Poop Over North Carolina

Hurricane Florence: How Will Storms Impact the Price of Pork

Hurricane Florence Threatens North Carolina’s Pig Manure Lagoons

Hurricane Florence May Increase What You Pay for Bacon

Hurricane Florence: Farmers Race to Drain Giant Manure Ponds

There is a Whole Lot of Pig Crap in the Path of Hurricane Florida

Hurricane Florence Threatens Pigs, Catastrophic Waste Spills.

Hurricane Floyd (1999):
“The death toll for ‘farm’ animals in several eastern seaboard states includes an estimated 500,000 hogs and 10 million chickens and turkeys. Some, trapped in factory farms, perished as the waters rose. IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare) reported that at one point some 100 North Carolina farms were under water. ‘Have you ever heard 25,000 chickens scream?’ said a Maryland poultry farmer, explaining to the Washington Post how a 5-foot-high wall of water from a nearby engorged river hit one of her barns. ‘One of the most significant problems was horses and cows trapped in corrals,’ noted A.J. Cady of IFAW, which worked with the Tennessee National Guard to airlift animals to safety. Other livestock died of hunger or thirst when farmers were forced to evacuate, setting their animals free or leaving them unattended.”

The corporate media has a political agenda to make sure that any public concern for the plight of domestic “farmed” animals trapped on farming systems hit by hurricanes is deflected by absent coverage. People, of course, and pets matter. But domestic “farmed” animals? There are millions of them, but you never see them in the reporting, even though Americans eat one million animals every hour.

Or worse, possibly.

O this is so sad--------poverty does kill, doesn’t it.
As far as governments go—we are all Palestinians now-----or -----Yemen’s children in a school bus. : (

There is the unfortunate tradition of looting after hurricanes. People who don’t usually steal sometimes go crazy and feel it is first come first serve during a hurricane, even breaking in when the hurricane was mild. My father made it a habit to work through a hurricane inside his store with the lights on. Besides traveling costs, a poor family may stay because they can’t afford to replace what little they’ve got. And forecasting is rather unreliable because the turning point at which rivers overflow and drains don’t work is hard to pinpoint.