Home | About | Donate

As 'Green New Deal' Demand Grows, Democrats Have Choice: Confront and Defeat Fossil Fuel Industry or Take Credit for 'Doomed' Planet

As 'Green New Deal' Demand Grows, Democrats Have Choice: Confront and Defeat Fossil Fuel Industry or Take Credit for 'Doomed' Planet

Julia Conley, staff writer

With Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) fighting to win back her position as House Speaker in the coming congressional term, climate action groups and the new contingent of progressives on Capitol Hill are arguing that with their new power in Congress, Pelosi and other Democrats must make clear whether they will decide to boldly push for visionary climate solutions like the Green New Deal or fail humanity and the planet by continuing their servitude to the fossil fuel industry.

1 Like

What’s more important … saving our planet or talking about Pelosi becoming speaker?

1 Like

That pretty well states it. Time for any willing partys to join forces, for a solid coalition, and attempt to save this planet before it’s too late.

2 Likes

Seems nobody has a Coaltion or enuf power to fight big Oil and the people who make their fortunes off of this filth.

1 Like

To Nancy it’s probably the latter.

We can start by calling it the forest fire, hurricane, corral reef destroying planet killer coalition.

2 Likes

Let them take a bath in oil and see how it feels.

1 Like

We need to form our own people’s coalition and do volunteer service ( all citizens should be required to do it). We can and will do this. I have been calling congress about this for almost twenty years and they do not have the will. We need to do this as a people.

I am in with you.

The trouble is the milk has already been spilt. Stopping the drilling isn’t much help. We have to quit burning stuff, and melting stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, this is right, and the progressive takeover is just beginning to work, just as I have kept saying on this site and other places that I post. We can not afford to give up, or be cynical and jaded and do nothing just because there are still too many democrats who are resistant to eliminating the power of the fossil fuel industry and its hundreds of millions of campagn dollars. Let’s be priceless and refuse to be bought! Now is the time for everyone who cares about our planet that sustains us to step up and make massive numbers of small dollar donations to the Democratic Party so that they can afford to say no to fossil fuel money and do what is right and needed. Now is the time for everyone to join the Democratic Party and vote out conservative or moderate democrats and get green progressives on the ballot and to vote them in in the general elections so that we can finally get busy and get off fossil fuels. We can still keep our cushy lifestyles. We don’t have to go back to the dark ages. We can live quite well using green energy, and things will be much better if we do this then if we don’t. Fossil fuel use is destroying many of the best things in life like fish in the seas, and most animal and plant life and it causes flooding, wildfires, disease, droughts, polluted drinking water, polluted air, and it will contribute to hunger and starvation and war worldwide. We can’t afford global climate change, but we can stop it by getting off fossil fuels now. All of you guys who refuse to vote or to get involved are making things much worse by not helping. We can’t do it alone, it will take many more of us to fight and if more of us fight and never give up we CAN WIN! It’s not impossible! It’s only impossible if we don’t try, and the more of us who are fighting for a green economy and for economic fairness and universal health care the sooner it can happen. Yes, this 2018 election was good, more people voted, but still way too many people stayed home and didn’t vote, donate, or do anything to promote our agenda. This is hard work, but many hands, and the more the better, will lighten the load. So please help, donate small amounts when you can, vote in every primary, and general election, and do all you can to fight for positive change for a better future for all Americans! The time is NOW! We can do this! I know we can!

1 Like

We must look to the Democrats, because the other party is not, and will continue to not be affected by climate chaos.

When I see photos of the man made disaster in Yemen-----I think, if we do nothing, Yemen could be us-- another Human made disaster for all of us on the Earth. : (

1 Like

An escape Article.
From the past.

The chance for strong climate action by the federal government was lost when Hillary Clinton lost the election to Trump. All the shouting and protesting now is not going to make it happen. The next opportunity will be November 2020.

Another advantage of sunbathing!

BleedingheartPook
Progressive takeover just beginning to work. We can’t afford to give up or be cynical jaded and do nothing. Too many democrats resistant to eliminating the power of fossil fuel’s hundreds millions campaign dollars. Let’s be priceless and refuse to be bought! Now is the time everyone who cares steps up and makes massive numbers for democracy! To say no to fossil fuel money and do what is needed. Now is the time for everyone to join the Democratic Party and get green progressives on the ballot to vote in in general elections and get off fossil fuels! We cannot still keep ‘our’ cushy lifestyles but neither go back to the dark ages. We can live well green energy much better if we do this. Fossil fuel use destroys the best things in life, fish in seas, animal and plant life, cause flooding, wildfires, disease, droughts, polluted drinking water, air, hunger, starvation, war worldwide. Global climate change, we can stop it by getting off fossil fuels now. All of you guys who refuse to vote or to get involved are making things much worse by not helping. We can’t do it alone, it will take many more of us to fight and if more of us fight and never give up we CAN WIN! It’s Possible! It’s only impossible if we don’t try, and the more of us who are fighting for a green economy and for economic fairness and universal health care the sooner it can happen.

Yes, this 2018 election was good! More people voted, but too many people stayed home and didn’t vote, nor donate nor do anything. This is hard work, but many hands, the more the better, lightens the load. Please help, vote in every primary, and general election, and do all you can to fight for positive change for a better future for all Americans. The time is NOW! We can do this!

1 Like

This morning I worked on my mirrored reflector wall before my paying job began. I learned that I could pre-set screws a few turns into my plywood backings to make the job go faster, and that this work could be done indoors.

The point is, I became a citizen solar inventor. The earth doesn’t have enough solar inventors because nobody on earth wants to pay them, even at the cost of most of the earth’s population suffering from chronic starvation a few decades down the road. I know that would be crazy behavior, but people refuse to face up to their morbid smoking and eating habits all the time, and then they die early, so why shouldn’t all of humanity do the same thing? They don’t want to control the disease until it gets morbid.

Sometimes the solution is work-related. Mohandas Gandhi spun thread, not because spinning machines aren’t 100 times more time-efficient but because all of India was being impoverished and starved by the forceful export of raw cotton and the import of finished British cloth. So, spinning thread was an act of protest.

I call on others to invent, as if I haven’t made some progress already. We need self-heating solar greenhouses that have great winter humidity control and that don’t blow over in hurricane wind gusts, which are going to become more common soon. We need nighttime electricity, not natural gas electricity. We need anew transit system, not automatic cars on clogged freeways. We need protection from a bubbling Arctic meltdown.

So protest the future death of your family tree! Invent, prototype, figure out the subproblems to be engineered, repeat. Why not you too?

1 Like

Liberal Democrats need to start collecting signatures for progressive propositions, initiatives and referendums to introduce in next elections. Its time to stop beating our heads against the establishment’s walls.

This idea, to give more $ to the democrats is unwise - in my opinion. Now that the midterms are done, the MAJOR positive move forward has to be action - concerted progressive strategic action. Like the sunrise movement who is calling for Demo’s to grow a spine. We need TONS of spotlights/magnifying glasses on the Democrats contrasting their lack of action (when it’s apparent) with the needed action. And yes, if/when they step up - we encourage it - we amplify it. And then, we keep pushing harder and harder. Action needs to be incessant and non-stop.

Do NOT assume b/c the Republicans are overt in their climate change denial that the Dems are even close to better enough. We’re where we are right now due to BOTH parties ineptitude. In fact, the duopoly itself is one of the major issues/impediments we face for the bulk of our chronic issues.

Bold unrelenting action against both parties and their respective chronic BS around climate is the ONLY possibility. Do NOT assume that more dem’s = adequate climate action. History has over and over and over proven they are no match for the task. The must be ceaselessly pushed and shamed to even move an inch. It’s our elbow grease that moves this juggernaut if anything can.

Peace

1 Like