Home | About | Donate

As Mnuchin Stonewalls on Trump Taxes, Progressives Call for Subpoena and Possible Contempt Charge

As Mnuchin Stonewalls on Trump Taxes, Progressives Call for Subpoena and Possible Contempt Charge

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin on Tuesday missed yet another deadline to turn over President Donald Trump's tax returns and signaled he has no intention of willingly giving Congress the documents, progressive advocacy groups urged Democrats to try to force the White House's hand with a subpoena or a possible contempt charge.

1 Like

JUST DO IT!! Democrats, quick pussyfooting around, this is the time to take action. We the people are behind you even if your mega donors aren’t. Start working for we the people.

10 Likes

And I doubt if Trump will ever allow his tax returns to be examined. The fact that Trump is clearly in a panic about divulging his tax returns tells me they must be completely nefarious and may even be incriminating, much like Al Capone’s. Trump may even fear incarceration in the future… over tax evasion.

8 Likes

Well you can’t be sure that Trump’s tax returns aren’t squeaky clean or his business dealings aren’t above reproach UNTIL we actually see his filings nevertheless he did brag about how much he has avoided paying due taxes during the campaign.

There is such a pervasive taint of wrongdoing associated with Trump’s business dealings, his hotels and office buildings (re: foreign diplomats for example) that it is not surprising that republicans support him.

3 Likes

Add to that all of his cohort that are willing to lie and refuse to give testimony. You know, the Trump convicts. In the spirit of Susan McDougal, hold all who refuse to honor subpoenas in contempt. Will they be willing to testify rather than sit in county lockup? Perhaps. There apparently is something to hide that is worth being jailed to keep hidden.
We have to find out what that is for future infiltrators of the White House. We need solid laws to prevent what is now going on.

5 Likes

Hold Mnuchin in contempt, send the U.S. Marshalls and put him in a cell where he belongs.

Trump’s tax returns won’t be squeaky clean as Michael Cohen has implied. Trump wouldn’t pay an attorney to prevent his returns from being revealed, if they were.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t count on Trump actually paying for ANYTHING. They have their hands in the till and thumb on the scales of money and justice.
And it’s going to get worse before ever getting better.
Dem’s have to start coming to work with brass knuckles on.

4 Likes

Hold Mnuchin in Contempt? That’s letting him off WAY too easy.  He and his bankster henchmen would have been held in Prison for the past 10 years – with 10 more to go – if P’Loser & O’Bummer had done their jobs in 2009 and gone after the perpetraitors of the sub-prime mortgage fiasco & resultant depres­sion.  Mnuchin, who foreclosed on some 30,000 homes, is second only to Tweetle-Dumb for the honor of biggest turd in the cesspool of the current administration.

19 Likes

On the stupid census question, on Trump’s tax returns, and on whether anyone in the executive branch has any responsibilities Congress can demand, expect our ridiculous Supreme Court to continue consolidating fascism, regardless. That’s the way it’s been going, with utter contempt for any constitutional principles, so that’s the way I’d expect it to continue. I don’t know what we’re supposed to do about it, now that the whole judiciary – especially the supremes – is packed with clowns.

5 Likes

What is the penalty for Contempt of Congress?

Sorry, Uncle Fester, I looked it up and found this:

Contempt of Congress is a federal misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum $100,000 fine and a maximum one-year sentence in federal prison.

And Trump cannot pardon those found charged.

7 Likes

Uncle: Hold Mnuchin in Contempt? That’s letting him off WAY too easy. He and his bankster henchmen would have been held in Prison for the past 10 years – with 10 more to go – if P’Loser & O’Bummer had done their jobs in 2009 and gone after the perpetraitors of the sub-prime mortgage fiasco & resultant depres­sion. Mnuchin, who foreclosed on some 30,000 homes, is second only to Tweetle-Dumb for the honor of biggest turd in the cesspool of the current administration.

Reminder – Mnuchin is worth $46 MILLION - former HEDGE FUND Manager –
20 years Goldman Sachs partner – Yale/Skull & Bones
Force behind GOP cutting taxes for the Rich

7 Likes

Like I said, even if Mnuchin is convicted of Contempt of Congress and assessed the maximum penalty, he’d still be getting off WAY too easy!

Does that apply to charges brought by Congress for other crimes as well - the Presidunce cannot pardon those convicted?  Can the House alone convict, or must the Senate concur?  By a simple majority in each chamber, or is 2/3 required?

You’re all over the place. When that happens, people stop taking you seriously. Focus is what is needed to affect social and political change.

1 Like

Mnuchin made part of his fortune scamming old people out of their houses, (including my parents.) Throw him in the slammer and throw away the key.

11 Likes

No doubt about it in my mind!

3 Likes

yes , but we are living in a fascist run country now; the old rules do not apply anymore. If the House had the power to frog march these obstructionists in front of cameras, a perp walk, then maybe we’d get some action, but I fear, the Democrats are going to end up looking impotent and ridiculous. In fascism, strongmen rule because they ignore anything other than their own power. It is all very frustrating.

1 Like

When FDR tried to pack the courts, the corporate media across the country decried his efforts. It’s in the history books as FDR’s "Court Packing " incident. But for some reason today’s corporate MSM do not remind the People that the GOP has intentionally packed the court

2 Likes

I’ll have to do some research, but later.

Don’t leave out the role Kamala Harris played in us having Mnuchin to deal with now. As Attorney General of CA at the time the One West Bank was illegally foreclosing on people, her office investigated and recommended the case be taken up. She refused. https://theintercept.com/2019/04/23/beto-orourke-campaign-advisers-bernie-sanders/

7 Likes

Mnuchin must like trump’s ass. He kisses it constantly.

1 Like