Home | About | Donate

As Nationwide Prison Strike Reaches Second Week, Inmates Accuse Officials of Retaliating With Solitary Confinement

As Nationwide Prison Strike Reaches Second Week, Inmates Accuse Officials of Retaliating With Solitary Confinement

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As a nationwide prison strike demanding an end to brutal conditions and slave labor continues into its second week, inmates and advocates are accusing prison officials of retaliating against participants in the non-violent action by revoking communication privile

The whole institution of imprisonment needs to be re-thought. Locking up men and women away from human society and nature only serves to exacerbate the problem because it is not normal, not natural. Land needs to be set aside for inmates to live there with their families and so they can learn and build their own communities. At some time later they should have the possibility to join the wider community.

The Slave Master Mentality of White Supremacist Washington DC must be ended in order for the people of our country to get past the racist Era of the history of the United States.

Support the Modern Day Slaves !!!

And ‘they’ say slavery ended over a hundred years ago. Prisoners forced into slavery for little or no wages is just one of the many ways slavery is alive and well these days. Slave wages for the working poor is the norm too along with enslavement by predatory loan companies of banks that finance higher education. I won’t even mention the illegal sex industries and human trafficking of humans for labor and other fowl endeavors. Slavery has been with people ever since civilizations rose up with agriculture. It’s has been around forever. I say it’s time for slavery to end. Take some power back the the working poor. Pay prisoners something for the work they do. If they don’t want to work, fine, they don’t get paid. This(the US) is the biggest prison system in existence. It’s time to reform this form of slavery for the lower and poorest classes. Certainly, keep the violent ones locked away find a way to reform the rest instead of harsh sentences for lesser crimes. The time has come to end slavery once and for all.

How about the inmates who killed or abused their wives and families? Should the remaining family be living with them? Why punish the family? These are not good people, they are locked up to protect the rest of us.

Dude, there is no such thing as “good” or “bad” people.

There are behaviors. There are habits, and there are non-habitual responses to intense challenge.

The people in prison are pretty much just like everyone else. A mix of functional and dysfunctional habits and behaviors.

The only difference? They’re a LOT more likely to be black or brown than the not-yet-formally-imprisoned among us.

Human communities have much past experience with handing eruptions of violence without keeping those involved more or less permanently cut off from the Earth and their fellow humans!

We are perfectly capable of doing so again.

My father was murdered when I was ten. His murderer was never apprehended, although many in the community were and are quite sure of that person’s identity…

I grok the risks entailed with living in community with someone who has done terrible violence pretty well.

These risks are preferable to the totalizing destruction inevitably entailed in our foul, brutal, torturous excuse for a justice system.

Alternatives to mass incarceration? Yes.

“to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day: from the causes and consequences of mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement, to the unmet needs of the vulnerable, the marginalized, and those harmed by crime and violence.”

One word.
Redemption

I’m not ok with kids growing up in prison. I know they are doing that now with children born in prison, but I’d like to to see prison looking a lot different for families.