Home | About | Donate

As NFL Players Offer Show of Unity, Booing by Fans Shows Objections to Protests 'Was Always About Perpetuating White Supremacy'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/11/nfl-players-offer-show-unity-booing-fans-shows-objections-protests-was-always-about

1 Like

Once the fans started booing, the players should have just walked off the field and refused to play. I wish all professional athletes would invoke a massive strike. And I wish the basketball players would have given the finger to Obama when he convinced them to stop their strike after one game.

15 Likes

It is clear: professional sports fans, the military, the police, and rightwing whites are inseparable. Won’t have anything to do with all four of them.

9 Likes

Guess NASCAR fans aren’t the only ones flying the Stars and Bars.
This is American Racism at its core.

Get it OUT IN THE OPEN. Put it ON CAMERA for ALL TO SEE

SAY THEIR NAMES !!!

Hopefully one day we will have a discussion about those Patriotic Flyovers
and how NFL REALLY Supports Our Troops Spreading the WAR on TERROR.

7 Likes

Colin Kaepernick is the finest 49er to ever put on a uniform, inside his body and soul. The booing was done by frightened, mislead ,misinformed ,immature rascist fans. Welcome to the NFL, which stands for Not For Long. Peace

5 Likes

You no longer need a program to tell you who are the “White Supremacists” supporting the “White Supremacist House.”

They whine like a child scolded after being caught stealing another child’s toy.

There belief in a false prophet defines them as less than human, something akin to animalistic.

Racism is an inhuman characteristic.

3 Likes

No, actually, you will get a range of opinions in those people, as with most similar groups. There will be more and less willful ignorance and denial and classism and patriotism toe to toe with actual racist beliefs. That does mean that the protest has to continue and should step up, however; that whole cognitive rats’ nest needs cleaning out.

Would have loved to see that! Most of the people booing were SHOUTING:: " WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PLAYERS? WHY ARE THEY SO UNGRATEFUL? THEY DO NOT APPRECIATE ALL THE $$$$$ THEY ARE PAID!

2 Likes

I think Obama’s baby steps approach was quite all right. My first thought was with you though. If the fans that booed are in the majority shut the stadiums out until people wise up. The white hate train is over in the sports world. Except of course with NASCAR in the deep south and elsewhere.
The haters will have to walk not ride. No more stadium shows. Season ticket holders will be the first to bend.

College football does the flyovers too.
I was a huge sports fan for years.
The jingoism drove me away.

1 Like

“Others say they don’t want their football mussed by politics, yet those same people have no problem with a military fighter jet flying over the stadium before their game starts,”

I don’t watch the game, but are they still playing the national anthem before the start? If so, that should cease along with any flyovers. The games are not sponsored by the government or the military. Why bother?

I also wonder if those fans realize that about 80% of the players are of African-American heritage?

4 Likes

Did you think the Civil War ended at the Appomattox Court House in Virginia?

Bigotry is ingrained in a large portion of the American Population.

We just needed a Hateful Racist in the White House to give these maggots permission to to come out from under their slimy rocks and reveal what they are really thinking and how their bigotry has, at many levels, prevented progress for our Black Brothers and Sisters.

2 Likes

It’s always been about racism.

2 Likes

Appalled. Those who can afford tickets to NFL games are more likely to be in upper income brackets – perhaps thus more racist – or at least more likely to be in denial?

I also note that this is still “Arrowhead Stadium” with the team being the Chiefs, so perhaps racism would not be unexpected.

2 Likes

When they get booed, they should walk off the field and not play. The shitheads would get the message to get on board or watch reruns of HeeHaw.

1 Like

People watch sports to be entertained and to provide an escape.

Anything that detracts from that experience is going to turn the watchers away from the sport. It has nothing to do with “racism” or “white supremacy”. It has everything to do with “entertainment value”.

To the extent that people on the left fail to realize this, they will simply make enemies in the proletariat and turn them into Trump voters.

Sports are the opiate of the 21st century masses.

Like Andrew Johnson, or Woodrow Wilson, or Richard Nixon, or Ronald Reagan, or…

As a white male I had for yrs also looked at sporting events as a neutral form of entertainment. A way of participating in some innocuous tribalism. A way to rejuvenate and have some fun in the process. But if one hasn’t completely anesthetized the curiosity and inquisitiveness that we as a species were bestowed at birth by nature and evolution, one comes to realize that they are in a societal reality that has embedded within itself mechanisms of population control. Nothing is totally outside that bubble, except for free will. And a purpose of that control is to contain that free will. A bizarre reality for a socializing species which one would expect to find cooperation and understanding, and not a controlling hierarchy. Unless there are pernicious reasons, as in manufacturing justifications to exercise exploitation.

Back in 1966/1967 I spent a tour in Vietnam via the Conscription Travel Agency.
Bone spurs were a relatively elite disease. I was 21 when I came back. Being a member of a curious species I and many other veterans wondered just what the hell was the real reason we were in Vietnam. Fighting communism was the lamest of bs, even back then. We were physically there, and what we saw was a 16th century type agrarian society that made the Pennsylvania Dutch seem high tech. Thus began a white guy’s lessons in life about social controlling mechanisms. Yet interesting enough there’s no evidence, outside of the manufactured ones, that demonstrate these insidious and vulgar behaviors are any law of nature. Attending sporting events is not only for rejuvenating through entertainment but also dodging reality through escapism. Curious creatures get to learn that entertainment and escapism are often two sides of the same coin in deflecting the public’s attention and energy as per population control mechanics. Curious rational creatures understand how to use these mechanisms to focus and not deflect public attention.

The concern of the hate purveyors and exploiters is that they’re in the minority. Thus we understand who hates democracy and everything that encourages and strengthens democracy, in all the forms that hate purveyors and exploiters try to manufacture. Curious creatures have become aware of that.

2 Likes

That already happened.

1 Like