Home | About | Donate

As Nuclear Powers Trade Threats, Gorbachev Calls on US and Russia to 'Return to Sanity'

As Nuclear Powers Trade Threats, Gorbachev Calls on US and Russia to 'Return to Sanity'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Amid escalating tensions between Russia and the U.S., former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev urged the two nations to "return to sanity" and said President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin should meet to engage in diplomacy rather than military confrontation over Syria.

Speaking to Interfax news agency, Gorbachev said Tuesday, "I am very alarmed."

It feels weird to say I agree with Gorbachev, but that is the truth. If past leadership can see what’s happening and give this feedback, the current leadership needs to wake up and listen. The biggest issue that stands out for me is the Trump-Putin relationship through the 2016 elections. To redirect ourselves back into sanity, there should be no foreign government actively engaged in America around election time. The hacking of Democratic headquarters computers by Russians is a parallel to Watergate. At least Nixon was impeached, even though he got pardoned later. Trump is slithering through this hacking issue with no accountability at all.

Both countries have greatly increased their national debts by fact of involvement in Mideastern wars and involvement of their espionage/ intel agencies in nations through out the world.

The people of the world have no more power to stop this than the subjects of Louis XIV, Gustavus Adolphus, Catherine the Great, Wilhelm III, etc…etc… We are in a new age of absolutism. The door to democracy is shut. Trying to open it again will be very painful. And the plutocene epoch is coming. Grass and cockroaches will inherit the earth, very soon. Cheers!

If you are not alarmed; it means you are either an Ostrich with your head in the sand, or a brainwashed, American,sheeple!

I’ll drink to that.

Cockroaches inherited my kitchen for awhile. The reconquest was a bitch . I don’t think the Zionists (who I believe control both the USA and the Russian Federation) are going to engage in a nuclear war.

I remember when Nancy Reagan was publicly humiliated by Reza Gorbachev’s superior intellect. But the Reagans prevailed and the Gorbachevs relegated to the vanquished bin.
Jefferson warned a time would come when tyrants would rise “…and better men be their victims.”

So Putin helps Trump get elected, then we end up on the brink of WW3.

That whole Russiagate story is getting harder and harder to follow. I mean, is it possible that everyone involved is as heedless and stupid as Trump?

How very sad for all the animals and children. I just saw my great niece who is 6 weeks old and can’t stop thinking of her and her 4 year old sister. You celebrate, I’ll weep. My animals don’t even deserve this.

Good point. Guess the MSM lied.

Donald Trump ran for president so he could be Theresa May’s poodle.

Didn’t Trump recently go through a similar tirade with North Korea? Authoritarians threaten.

The problem isn’t that if Trump or any of his cabinet are sociopathic enough to launch the first strike out of nowhere, though people like Bolton make me second guess that. It is that with each escalation it increases the risk of either the U.S. or Russia thinking an existential imminent attack is on its way. Think back to the Cuban missile crisis. No one wanted to be the ones that launches a nuke but the escalating tensions made each side believe that the other side might be desperate enough to do it and we nearly had nuclear war because of that.

I am very serious about the following statement: Mikhail Gorbachev is probably the best Global Leader of the last 40 years! For sure, he is the most sane one!

Unfortunately Gorbachev’s wise words are heavily discounted due to his inability to keep from being snowed by both Reagan and Clinton. He was much too trusting with them and got trampled on. That leaves the impression that he is not to be imitated or listened to. He failed once and once was once to many!

“Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven.” - Pudd’nhead Wilson’s Calendar.

Thank you, Gorby. I am disappointed, too. I am alarmed, too.

And you’re one to believe that crap? Knock yourself out. Pick your opinion and let it rule your life. I’ll pass on that as complete crap.