Home | About | Donate

As Planet Edges Closer to Multiple Climate Tipping Points, Scientists Identify First Active Methane Gas Leak in Antarctica

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/22/planet-edges-closer-multiple-climate-tipping-points-scientists-identify-first-active

5 Likes

The human race is a failed species. Survival of the fittest - we ain’t very “fit” anymore, at least not Americans.

Might the best case scenario be for the rest of the world to try and invade the USA and subjugate it while Trump keeps the population blinkered, confused and divided? Bcuz it seems to me that everyone else “gets it,” at this point.

6 Likes

Too many feedback loops are underway. I’m afraid the cat is out of the bag. And in the Arctic today, we are down to 6,706,000 square kilometers of very fragile, shallow sea ice…a record low for year to date. That’s 668,000 Sq. Km. lower than the record low year 2012 for July 21st. We may not quite see a Blue Ocean Event (BOE) this year, but we are well on track to shattering the 2012 minimum.

16 Likes

The greed virus will outstrip the coronavirus, guaranteed.

11 Likes

I am afraid we as a species raped and abused mother nature one too many times. She is now invoking the death penalty on all of us. Actually we did it to ourselves. We will not be missed. Perhaps some future species will actually show some true intelligence and caring for the environment upon which we literally depend upon for life itself. Actually I believe some indigenous cultures were intelligent, but “civilized society” deemed them savages and made sure to kill them off so that we could continue to kill everything off as well in pursuit of amassing endless artificial wealth. Man is the most violent species to ever inhabit the earth and most likely the universe. What a piece of work is man. Que sera sera.

8 Likes

At this moment there really and truly should be many more posted comments.

The ecological crisis means Life as we know it, our and the survival–let alone the thriving–of all species are at stake. No livable planet, all else is moot.

12 Likes

I agree that this is “incredibly concerning” though I am skeptical of the idea that a technological fix to take carbon (and presumably methane) from the atmosphere really is the only solution.

We’ve almost totally messed up the planet with technology thus far. Is there any way we can work with nature to turn this around?

6 Likes

Stop breeding?

5 Likes

Or bring them “religion” whereby denying them their true beliefs in nature. I watched the film “the mission” recently. It truely brought home the interference religious zealots have had on this beautiful planet and its “natural” inhabitants.

7 Likes

Love that 1986 film! Though it was truly tragic as it showed how indigenous peoples were slaughtered by colonists. The musical score from that film is one of my favorites.

3 Likes

Colonists, slave traders and religious zealots.

5 Likes

I hope we can dethrone him before anyone needs to invade us, but it just might come to that if we fail as we have so far.

2 Likes

The Arctic Ocean isn’t white. It’s blue.

~https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Little sections of the Arctic Ocean are mostly white today where the winds that change daily have pushed the pancake ice pieces close together. Ice extent is now well into record low territory, more than 2 million square kilometers below normal, and it is likely to continue to plummet for the rest of the summer. There’s no such thing as Arctic pack ice now. The blue Arctic Ocean is absorbing solar heat deep into the ocean 24/7 until sunset in September. Best guess, the remaining pancake ice will be 90% gone and will be pushed by the winds into some corner of the Arctic Ocean. I would expect high surf on the Arctic Ocean in one month. Yes some wiseguy will surf it in a wetsuit in a month.

Pop quiz: what type of group can can be convened quickly to set up the best plan for inhibiting the climate disaster with all due speed?

A. A group of engineers and planners.
B. A group of corporate titans.
B. A group of politicians.
C. COYOTE

4 Likes

Methane super plumes were were found in the Arctic Ocean 9 years ago

Google:

independent vast-methane-plumes-seen-in-arctic-ocean-as-sea-ice-retreats

“This is the first time that we’ve found continuous, powerful and impressive seeping structures more than 1,000 metres in diameter. It’s amazing,” Dr Semiletov said.

“I was most impressed by the sheer scale and the high density of the plumes. Over a relatively small area we found more than 100, but over a wider area there should be thousands of them.”

2 Likes

D. None of the above. It is exponentially a runaway disaster now.

6 Likes

Simple. Remove all subsidies from crops grown on tilled land and move them to crops grown on untilled land. The soil can hold 2-3 times the carbon as the air and above ground vegetation combined. It can be done purposefully or disastrously. Before the invasion of the plow the Great Plains held more carbon than the Amazon with its thin and easily depleted top soil. The vast grasslands supported 100 million large grazing animals, countless birds and medium to small herbivores like beaver and prairie dogs, their predators and scavengers including humans. The rivers ran mostly clear year round and were teeming with fish.
If population crashes for whatever reason, industrial agriculture will also collapse. The open spaces will be once again occupied by grazers, grasslands and forests. The carbon sequestered through photosynthesis will drop temperatures as during the Little Ice Age when agriculture in the “New World” collapsed after Columbus, followed by a true Ice Age due to the Milankovich Cycle.
Humans occupied the whole world 20,000 years ago. Humans will rebound even from a small population. Hopefully better informed.

1 Like

Hi Giovanna_iepore:

Methane:
And in a horrifying way—aII life on Earth wiII no doubt end with sounds and words of aII Ianguages and aII creatures crying out---- “I can’t breathe,” : (

7 Likes

I’m sure most of us feel ~~ no responsible government - no solutions possible ~~ and so it’s really a question of prioritizing one’s energies.

Right now Power & Privilege are the problem - and as yet there are only suggestions on rectifying this - with no realizable plan.

Ergo - we are losing everywhere at the moment.

Unless and until a majority realize this - we are in a death spiral.

6 Likes

Your proposal (lots of other people helped you put it together) is a start.

The Sahara Desert was grassland 9,000 years ago, after the end of the last Ice Age, during the early Holocene. If we had the ability to add moisture to enhance the grassy plains in the form of nightly fog using an invention called a fog pond, would that help to sequester carbon faster worldwide and minimize total climate damage?

1 Like

You give viruses a bad name.