Home | About | Donate

As Record Settlement Announced Over BP Gulf Oil Disaster, Lesson Is Clear: Clean Energy Now

As Record Settlement Announced Over BP Gulf Oil Disaster, Lesson Is Clear: Clean Energy Now

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

BP and the Justice Department announced Thursday the agreement of an $18.7 billion settlement over federal and state and local claims stemming from the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmental groups responded to the settlement by stressing that the damage from the 2010 oil disaster is ongoing; that the funds must be used to restore the Gulf and its communities; and that the lessons of the disaster should be heeded by moving towards a clean energy future.

No amount of money will bring back those 11 lives lost or make their families whole again- NO amount of money will restore the Gulf Ecosystem or the future lives of those that were poisoned in the cleanup- This is PURE BULLSHIT- BP should have been sold off and dissolved as A Company- They will now repeat this risky behavior somewhere else on Earth-

Nearly all of those workers in Prince William Sound that were charged with the cleanup of the Exxon Valdez are dead to A man/Woman today from inhaling vaporized crude oil and corexit- BP was responsible for having the Emergency Spill containment and personel on site in Valdez when Hazelwood ran that tanker onto Bligh Reef- There was no manpower or spill equipment to be found- That tanker sat there for the better part of A week, in calm water, with no cleanup crews in sight-
The Gulf is just beginning to realize what BP's recklessly greedy undertaking in the Gulf has and will cost in human, plant and animal life-
I sure hope BP CEO Mr. Tony Hayward "Got HIS life back"- And Gulf C.O.O. Mr. Doug Suttles, I hope you rot in HELL, EnCana made one huge mistake when they hired you- You and Mr. Hayward belong in PRISON-

will BP be able to write off any of this settlement as cost of doing business?

I wanted to see how much-18.7 billion and BP makes that much in profit in three months. No, this is simply where the hell is all this money these companies make going?

I agree, and on punitive grounds alone BP should be liquidated and never allowed to form again.

Jeesh....Posted 22 hours ago and only 3 (three) comments- I am beginning to wonder why common dreamers are not all that interested in this political swindle of the people of the Gulf and just how BP pulled this off.... "A Record Settlement" my ass-

Read some of these empathetic shareholder comments about this settlement-Made me sick to my stomach-These people are cold blooded predators as far as I am concerned- Money, money, money-More profit please....My comments went unanswered, although they weren't edited out as before...
http://seekingalpha.com/news/2611465-bp-confirms-settlement-in-gulf-of-mexico-spill-claims-agrees-to-pay-18_7b?uprof=46&dr=1#email_link

I couldn't answer that question, although it wouldn't surprise me one iota that the American tax payer somehow gets stuck with A large portion of the bill....

Bear in mind that this is spread out over 18 years. Relatively painless for BP

"BP says the agreement "resolves the company’s largest remaining legal exposures""

Not so fast, amigo... Mexico has a significant amount of coastline on the gulf (maybe that's why it's called the Gulf of Mexico) almost as much as the US. Mexican fisheries were also severely impacted. Time to cough up some pesos, Cabrón...

I agree that the settlement is too small. I was wondering though, since "Corporations are people, my friend", has anyone tried BP for involuntary manslaughter or with the cases of Exxon Valdez cleanup workers... Premeditated Murder? I believe that some valid arguments could be made in that trial...and maybe being a Person won't be very appealing to a corporation anymore...If there are any lawyers out there willing to try this out I'm hoping the trial will be in Texas...

Excellent point cruz_ctrl- And lets not forget their was A Company named Haliburton and another named Transocean- They both share liability in this case with BP Exploitation-

I'm pretty sure the Royal family gets their usual tithe of 10%- That Queen reigns over 1/6th of the Worlds land mass and needs this money to keep her subjects in line....

Thanks for taking note of how few people here responding. I get the feeling a lot of Americans are far too disinterested about big oil. I live in the Santa Barbara area and the recent pipeline incident was not as alarming to people as it should have been.
Right now there is a class action here on behalf of local fishermen. Nothing like the Gulf, though. All these incidents need to be zero tolerance. People just roll over.

Walter-
What really bothers me is that there are 2 large diameter, very crude bitumin oil lines running across the Mackinaw Straits here in Michigan- These lines were built back in the 50's! They are held to the bottom of Lake Michigan by old and rotten concrete anchors-
75% of this Nations fresh surface water is in the Great Lakes and these fkn greedy Oil Companies, yes the same company (Enbridge) that recently destroyed miles of the Kalamazoo River here in MI, are doing absolutely nothing about it- This is insane!
Stuff like this REALLY bothers me!

Every day 62-year-old pipelines push nearly 23 million gallons of oil through the heart of the Great Lakes. What if they ruptured?

"Aging pipelines owned by Canadian company Enbridge lie exposed in the water at the bottom of the Straits of Mackinac, where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet. These pipelines, called Line 5, were built in 1953 during the Eisenhower administration.

When another Enbridge pipeline ruptured in 2010, it spilled about 1 million gallons of heavy crude oil into the Kalamazoo River. It was the largest land-based oil spill in U.S. history, and is still being cleaned up. Enbridge’s Line 5 through the Straits of Mackinac is 15 years older than its pipeline that gushed oil into the Kalamazoo River.

Despite assurances they could detect a leak "almost instantaneously," Enbridge initially misdiagnosed the massive spill into the Kalamazoo River, restarting pumps twice and allowing 17 hours to lapse before final shutdown. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency compared their poor handling of the disaster to the bumbling of the “Keystone Kops.”

This was just one of 1,068 Enbridge spills that dumped 7.4 million gallons of oil between 1999 and 2013 -- an average of 71 spills and 500,000 gallons leaked per year. That’s more than one oil spill every week for the last 15 years".
"In 2013, Enbridge upgraded pumps along Line 5 and increased the product flow under the Straits by 10 percent from 490,000 to 540,000 barrels per day, or 2.1 million gallons per day".
http://www.oilandwaterdontmix.org/

Thanks for the concern and I wish you all the best for the class action lawsuit-Take them to the cleaners!

I knew about the Kalamazoo River incident. I did not know at all about the Mackinac pipelines They sound classic for the time era and that they are allowed to sit there in that condition.
Here the pipeline that went was on land and built in the 1980's by a Texas company who literally sued for an exemption from the normal Santa Barbara county oversight/inspection process and got it.. I suspect the situation in Michigan is repeated all over the country.
The spill here in 1969 deeply disturbed people and was a galvanizing moment for the environmental movement. I know the feeling, it really bothers me also that all of these decrepit pipelines are running through the country, people don't seem to be as perturbed as some of us. It's like living on the edge of really ugly catastrophe that they aren't doing a damn thing to prevent. Thanks for writing. The company here has a bad track record elsewhere, as many of them do.