Home | About | Donate

As Removal Movement Grows, Trump Sides With White Supremacists on Confederate Monuments

As Removal Movement Grows, Trump Sides With White Supremacists on Confederate Monuments

Julia Conley, staff writer

Critics were quick to point out that President Donald Trump has once again put himself on the wrong side of efforts to combat racism and address white supremacy when he defended "beautiful" Confederate monuments in a Thursday morning tweet.

Trump: " who’s next, Washington and Jefferson".

Trump almost always uses false equivocating, rhetoric to defend his racism.

Sure both Washington and Jefferson owned slaves and were the oligarch’s of their time, but unlike the Confederates that are venerated by their statues, they did not commit treason and did not go to war in order to keep their slaves.

Actually they committed treason against the Crown. And, I not so sure about their motivations to keep slaves.

Trump once again exposes the deep and abiding hypocrisy of the U.S. llib/prog U.S. “left” when mentioning Washington and Jefferson as white supremacists. Unlike (for example) Obama, who talked about racism while doing absolutely nothing to take on the institutional structure of white supremacy in the U.S. or attack this dominant ideology in the “American” character, Trump nakedly defends it as show it for what it is.

About 25% of U.S. presidents were slave-owners or benefitted from the slave trade. Many participated in the genocidal wars against the First Nations. The U.S. Constitution was designed to promote and protect slavery and “property rights” (which included “owning” other human beings).

Both Washington and Jefferson were were male supremacists (you can’t “own” women and girls) and Jefferson was a serial rapist in his on-going relationship with Sally Hemmings. While some argue that the relationship was based on love, the power relationship was a man had absolute control over a woman and could do anything he wanted to/with her. The MF word finds its origins in these power relationships.

So Trump is right. He claims he is fighting for white supremacy – which he is. This is not about “racism” or hatred, but about the fundamental ideologies and power relationships of a nation founded on white property-owning male supremacy which has grown into a capitalist neoliberal global empire.

Until we understand that white male property-owning supremacy, are the roots of who we are as a nation culturally, ideologically and institutionally, we are lost. This will become crystal clear when Trump’s fellow oligarchs see that he is removed because he’s becoming a business liability.

I tell you what, Trump–you confused, flaccid, mess of adipose tissue–let’s build a museum dedicated to all that history that needs to go to house all those confederate statues. Time for a new nation and a new people to arise.

Yes, house their statues and memorabilia in the museum I proposed–Never Again Museum. They were slave owners and Indigenous hating elitists.

Good points!

If we are going to get rid of the monuments to shame in this country, I have some great examples that need to come down–like right now–in Santa Fe, New Mexico. There are so many examples of racist, demeaning, tone-deaf monuments there, it’s mind boggling. Oh–and how about closing the Kit Carson museum in Taos, NM. The man was a sickening monster, a thief, and a self aggrandizing little $#%*-- yet, he is being memorialized as some kind of hero. Disgusting.

You’re giving that imbecile way too much credit. His blathering has no hidden “I’ll reveal the true depths of American hypocrisy” agenda, it’s just an ignorant and rather nasty old man foaming at the mouth and ranting barely coherent garbage. That we as Americans (not just the liberals, why you target them I dunno) need to revisit our “hero worship” and inject some cold hard facts into our myths is true. Using Trump as our model and/or guide seems beyond ludicrous.

Revolutions are only treason when they fail.

I never said revealing the hypocrisy of the U.S. is his intention. He has very few intentions because he’s a (maybe) billionaire and can do whatever he wants without consequences – just like George Soros who crashed much of the South Asian economy with money market manipulations leading to untold misery. That said, Trump’s words and acts throw light on who WE (as a nation) are. It was already obvious what a piece of (high-priced) garbage he is.

Is it just white supremacy or a rabid hatred of “the other”? History has endless examples of white on white seething hatred. The hatred of Russia by the entire West is an excellent example. It is not at all rational. Ever deadlier weapons of mass destruction and designs for warfare and complete destruction of this country of mostly white people who are actually very much like us continue as national policy. Sanctions are also a major act of seething, rabid hatred that affect regular citizens.

The hatred of Jews, Catholics, Liberals, Gays, Trans, Irish, French, German, English, Protestant and on and on and on. It’s endless and it does not require a different skin color.