Home | About | Donate

As Smoke and Flames From Latest Derailments Wane, Calls From Both Sides of the Border to Halt 'Bomb Trains'

As Smoke and Flames From Latest Derailments Wane, Calls From Both Sides of the Border to Halt 'Bomb Trains'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

With the flames from the most recent oil train derailment just extinguished, a spotlight hovers over the risks associated with what some have dubbed "bomb trains."

In the past month alone, there have been four such disasters in the United States and Canada:

Solar doesn't Spill, Burn, Pollute or Kill citizens.

We do not want bomb trains passing through Washington State.

Fifty years or so ago, I wrote that we would see use of solar power, when they figured out how to hang an electric meter on a sunbeam!
* They're still working on it.
;-})

Cue the "pipelines are safer" chorus.

How about beginning to reduce fossil resource usage so future generations will still have some plastics and other petroleum products where suitable alternatives really don't exist. Eventually humans will find it economically and environmentally feasible to mine landfills to reclaim metals and plastics for recycling. The longer we can avoid landfill reclamation, the better. Most landfills are a toxic brew of stuff we really should never have buried, let alone created in the first place.

What about the Engineers at the switch? Why don't we find out who they are anymore?

I'm beginning to suspect there's nobody on board but automation to save labor costs. Robot trains are all the rage in Australia:

Robot Trains