Home | About | Donate

As Street Parties Erupt Over Historic Biden Win, Trump Substitutes Concession With 'This Election Is Far From Over'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/07/street-parties-erupt-over-historic-biden-win-trump-substitutes-concession-election

2 Likes

Cual es la republica bananera ahora?

Is anyone really surprised it’s going down like this?

2 Likes

. Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media."

True Mr. ex-president, but even Fox News says you lost!

5 Likes

Donald Trump on Election night “I defeated Biden and won the election”

Donald trump 4 days later “How dare Biden declare victory when all the votes not counted yet”

How on Earth this guy got 70 million+ votes is beyond me.

15 Likes

The donald will be claiming victory while sitting in his prison cell.

7 Likes

Street parties over electing a lying, plagiarizing, anti-labor, pro-fracking, crime bill writing, Patriot Act writing, anti-Green New Deal, dementia-addled, anti-Medicare for all, war-mongering, credibly accused rapist, tool of Wall Street? And his non-Mnuchkin prosecuting, mass incarcerating, shape-shifting, career climbing, increased defense budget voting, pro-fracking, anti-Medicare for all, hand-picked Wall Street lackey?

Yes, Trump is gone. But a Biden/Harris win is no cause for celebration.

9 Likes

Agreed. The personalities are distracting…We still have the same system and same people in power.

5 Likes

In my neck of the woods, we don’t mind celebrating with our neighbors on streetcorners all over the place. I’m raising my fist, walking by with my dogs, shouting “Yes!!!” We deposed the mad tyrant, for God’s sake people! If that’s no cause for celebration, then just go ahead and have a nice life, gloomy Gus.

Do there remain conscious human beings who think there’s no difference between heeding people like Dr Fauci versus beheading them? We have serious business before us all over the world. This morning there’s slightly less utter hopelessness. I’m going ahead to celebrate what I can, when I can.

And incidentally, around here some of us are hela happy to see a genuine Oaklander make good.

8 Likes

On the one hand , this election shows you how much power the the voters have (changing the personality of the POTUS), but on the other hand it shows you how much power the voters really have…really not very much…and that is why things really won’t change.

2 Likes

Thought about everyone celebrating Obama’s election like this. Hope and Change. Nebulous abstractions and easily held up as success. Republican light policies from week one.

Biden is even more establishment. He’s had that many more years to dull his edges.

I’d say we’re all entitled to take a moment and breathe a bit easier, but there’s nothing here to celebrate. It’s way too late for business as usual to fix anything.

4 Likes

Fake alternative facts revealed at last!

2 Likes

While Trump had earlier announced his intention to hold an 11:30 am ET news conference, that event was scuttled, or at least postponed, when major news networks—which have been diligently tracking the counting of ballots since voting concluded on Tuesday—finally called the race in Biden’s favor at roughly the same time.

LOL…did the networks actually punk ol’ donnie boy?! ROTFL…or maybe [gasp] they figured he was up to some more nonsense and finally told themselves, enough is enough.

4 Likes

The saddest part of this whole election, that dump voters don’t realize he is a con man.

7 Likes

I would speculate that the celebration is more a celebration of ‘the king is dead, long live the king’. Certainly no Progressive is celebrating Biden’s victory, but I will damn well celebrate drumpf’s defeat. Why is it some folks can’t seem to wrap their minds around the fact that we can be relieved that the fascist is gone and that we can now take up the fight against the corporatist. Those two thoughts are not mutually exclusive.

10 Likes

You make a good point.

Stepping back from the edge of the Abyss is certainly worth celebrating. I think most of us here can’t help but be a little disappointed the best we could do was business as usual ala Mc-DNC Inc.

But yes, dodged a deadly bullet this time, we did. Four more years, Miller’s anticipated pogrom could have become an actuality.

4 Likes

A joyous pot-banging procession just sauntered past my house, whooping and hollering. You think I’m gonna come out on my porch and go “Bah, humbug!”?

3 Likes

Amy–FIX THIS! And get me a coke.

6 Likes

I’d go out with my drums and add a little joyful noise to the mix.

Ding Dong the Troll is Done.

4 Likes

I wonder if they’ll allow him to bring his golden commode along.

2 Likes

He must be frogmarched out of the WH immediately and with him all his fascist henchm…

4 Likes