Home | About | Donate

As Trump Campaign Touts Smarts Behind Tax Avoidance, Sanders Aims to Fix Rigged System

As Trump Campaign Touts Smarts Behind Tax Avoidance, Sanders Aims to Fix Rigged System

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said Tuesday that he will take a wack at the "corrupt" tax code by introducing legislation to close the breaks and loopholes that benefit the uber-wealthy like Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Go Bernie! I haven't taken my stickers down (from in my car windows), and this gives me new reason to wear them with pride.

Too late Bernie!

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt, oligarch's from you-you know the U.S. is doomed.

How so? Take one click on the first link in the article ("close the breaks and loopholes"), and you can see 4 specific measures, 3 identified by the section of the tax code they address, and even to me it's clear how they apply to DJT's "smarts."

Throwing up our hands gets us nowhere and lets the folks you blame win. Continuing to live means continuing to work to improve things.

Hypocritical to say the least! We cannot believe anything Bernie says anymore, even though his tax proposals are commendable.

Bernie doesn't need for you to "believe" him. He acts.

Poor clueless Bernie. He has yet to realize that those same bastards and bitches that betrayed him throughout the entire "Democratic Primary" will hardly lift a finger to help him upset the ill gotten gains cart!

Life. Better living through revolution.

Are we talking about the same Bernie?

The Democratic Leadership Council's first achievement after their 1985 formation was what Democrats continue to brag was "bipartisan 1986 tax reform", the most regressive tax reform in history that enabled Trump, his 1% cronies and corporations to evade taxes while taxes for the middle class increased.

Until delays in TPP distracted him from it, one of Obama's highest second term priorities was to enact "tax reform in the spirit of 1986 tax reform" that would have given Clinton, Trump,and their ilk even more tax breaks while further increasing middle class taxes.

1986 "reform" put so much extra money in the pockets of the 1% that within a decade they were able to purchase most members of Congress and started purchasing governments abroad. Although rescinding 1986 tax reform may be too little too late, it is the only hope for stopping the 1% from transferring all wealth from the 99% to themselves and completing their neofeudal dream.

Not the offshoring laws, but some of this history is given in Bernie's (linked in the OP) document on the 4 parts of the tax code he is proposing to change. I believe they all started under Reagan, and they're specific to using real estate to game the system.

Tax avoidance indeed started under Wrangler Ronny and got the critical boost it needed when the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) was formed in 1985. The DLC wasted no time in pushing through what the Democrats continue to brag was "bipartisan 1986 tax reform", the most regressive tax reform in history that put enough extra money in the pockets of the 1% that they were able to buy Congress within a decade and get Congress to keep passing more laws that enabled them to evade taxes while taxes for the 99% increased.

Long story short...with respect to tax evasion, Trump is NOT the problem, Trump is a symptom of a very big problem.

The Clintons are small fish, Trump is a medium size fish with Boeing, General Electric, Wall Street banks and many other megacorporations being the big fish who evade taxes on a much larger scale than the Clintons or Trump do.

I've heard nothing about a book, but Bernie is taking this action in his continuing role as a US Senator. He's never been about limelight.

What do you know about the federal tax code breaks

"Breaking Through Power: John Fox on Federal Tax Policy"

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=17361

Bernie has to be acknowledged as one of the best cons of all time. Everything he said to be against, like Wall Street ect. Bernie obsequiously, acquiesced to and sold out so many millions of well meaning people that financially, supported him and it is almost unbelievable that he would let them down and sell out to of all people! The Wall Street whore and warmonger...Hillary!

Though late in his campaign I caught the con when Bernie said he would support the potential nominee. Bernie knew right then that he was going to sell out to Hillary!

You have to feel sorry for people that get conned and do not realize it!

Bernie's plan is not nearly enough, but it's a damn sight better then Hillary's no plan at all.

The first question that every candidate should be asked.
Would you eliminate the preferential tax break for interest on home equity loans that arbitrarily encourages spending over saving and primarily benefits middle- and upper-income homeowners?

Don't worry about it Bernie, Hillary plans to look into this sometime during her first four years in office.