Home | About | Donate

As Trump Doubles Down on Denial, Americans Among the Most Likely in the World to Deny Climate Crisis, Survey Shows

As Trump Doubles Down on Denial, Americans Among the Most Likely in the World to Deny Climate Crisis, Survey Shows

Julia Conley, staff writer

Two days after the Trump administration blocked a global declaration from even mentioning the term "climate change," an international survey revealed the effects on the public of U.S. leaders' denial of climate science.

1 Like

"Intellectually Challenged" Americans among the most likely in the world to deny the Climate Crisis.

3 Likes

The problem goes much further than this. Even those who are concerned about global warming are not, and seemingly are not willing to change anything whatsoever in their own consumption habits to address global warming. Ms. Occasio Crotez in NYC, and Ms. Klein in Toronto, rarely use/used the MTA or the TTC, preferring “Uber” instead. Bill McKibben lives in nice spread in the Adondacks and does a long SUV commute to the 350.org offices in Burlington.

Wanna see a community with a low carbon footprint? Go here:
(Poor, but almost totally car-free, San Marcos, Sucre, Colombia…)

2 Likes

Who says that Advertising doesn’t work…on the simple minded

4 Likes

“Just plain nuts” might be more apt. (If you’ve ever seen “the far side” you might know what i mean.)

2 Likes

Although long dead and buried, Edward Bernays, author of Propaganda (1928), saw how the powerful could use money to sway the masses. Big Oil slung Big Shit for a long time. And the masses will eat just about anything.

3 Likes

Most likely to deny the climate crisis as well as many other issues because the media has been corrupted to fail to provide the truth to Americans. That’s not to say they might not “deny” the crisis re Mother earth and other issues or hold mental (crazy) views due to other causes like lack of meaningful education, brainwashing religion, right-wing and other institutionalized propaganda filling the highly malleable minds of people. The Fourth Estate is charged with providing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to citizens, but has been co-opted, corrupted, and manipulated to be a failed joke - that coupled with other failures and diversions like education, religion and “social media” rubbish, makes for a population that will believe and spread any ridiculous lie or fantasy that comes down the pike.

3 Likes

Common estimates of barrels of oil burned so far top 1 trillion. It’s common knowledge that we burn 90 million more barrels each day. This country alone is good for 19 million a day.

On the other hand, Americans are uncommonly misinformed and susceptible to propaganda. Besides, even those who understand that global warming is a man-made disaster still rely on fossil fuels. That includes my household. We’ve lowered our carbon footprint, we didn’t have kids, but our impact still towers over some small farmer’s in Africa.

1 Like

Way too many Americans, especially those who allow their reality to be defined by Right Wing media, “Presidential” tweets, evangelical “end times” beliefs, the beneficence of the “free” market, and the hocus-pocus of the “Prosperity Gospel” con artist preachers—
have seemingly and willingly turned their backs on reality, truth, logic and science.

As long as they are able to continue their excessive consumption habits, they seem to be
perfectly content with willful ignorance, and are comfortable with allowing their corporate masters tell them what to think and say; what to believe; and ,mainly what to buy.

As we have seen, their numbers are great enough, given the anti-democratic design of
the Electoral College, to elect someone like Trump. I think they will do it again.

1 Like

Who could’ve predicted the free market would be a bad metric for determining what information should be propagated via the media and educational institutions?

I hope tax payers didn’t have to pay for this survey. We already knew this.
Us boomers got our start with brainwashing, sorry, advertising, as children. Watching Saturday morning black and white cartoons and westerns.
I remember one b/w ad from Clark Oil. A big sleek car driving up to the gas station pump.
Late 50’s I think.