Home | About | Donate

As Trump Ramps Up Threats, Lawmakers Warn Attack on Syria Without Congressional Backing Would Be Unconstitutional

As Trump Ramps Up Threats, Lawmakers Warn Attack on Syria Without Congressional Backing Would Be Unconstitutional

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As President Donald Trump ramped up threats against Syria and Russia early Wednesday in response to the the Syrian government's suspected use of chemical weapons on civilians over the weekend, peace advocates continued to discourage any action that would

Congress rediscovers its spine???

Tear out the front page, Jedediah!

Congress already abdicated their power over making war. Trump can do whatever he wants.

Unconstitutional?! Rule of Law?! In the USA. Ha, ha, ha. Sorry folks, that train left the station decades ago and went off a cliff shortly thereafter. These so-called progressives in DC are a quaint little bunch living in some fantasy land. We are all living in a military dictatorship with puppets for politicians. War is all we do now. BANG!

Where’s the “Lone Gunman” when you need him?

America no longer holds the high moral ground
It has turned into the world’s bully
Using lies and half truths, they have rushed into war after war
Assad did not release chemicals in Douma, the rebels had already agreed to leave
The rebels released the chemicals and by association, the US bears equal responsibility
The western news media is hell bent on war, one should look to who owns these newspapers and how they profit from war.
Those in the boardrooms of America should be on trial for war crimes

Pffft. STFU, Democrat Congresscritters. You loooong ago gave away any credibility, and any right to your Constitutional mandate to declare wars. You have ceded so much power to the Executive branch - willingly - that you need to just sit down, shut up, and brace for the ride. This is all on you.

America is run like a fiefdom, King Trump makes all the decisions and congress rubber stamps his orders
Reminds me of King George during the American revolution, what they fought to get rid of has returned
History far to often repeats itself

unfortunately, this is all on the Syrian people, who have suffered for 7 long years,
As long as foreign powers are involved, it will never be over
There is no profit in peace, and as we all know, politicians have sold their soul to the devil many many years ago

Perhaps with the masses raising their fists congress feels that they should talk big and carry a small stick.

Maybe it’s unconstitutional, but when GW Bush decided to illegally invade Iraq without congressional backing, nobody stopped HIM. That part of the Constitution is effectively dead unless the Supreme Court would support it if Trump does it.

Where the hell are legislators with backbone?

This morning, there have been a couple of articles where an Obama advisor was quoted as stating that one of the reasons Obama decided to not try to take out Assad was the threat, at that time, from Congress of impeachment. So, it appears that at least some politicians consider the possibility of impeachment as a serious threat.

One of these article was on ZeroHedge; but, that article has since disappeared. The other article was on Russia-Insider; but, someone’s currently screwing with their gateway; and, I can’t get back on that site.

Unless my brain is completely gone now, I recall that Congress authorized Bush to attack Iraq back in the day. It was called the Iraq Resolution. There is no hope in believing Congress will vote against war.

Fortunately, some people are starting to speak out against a U.S.-led invasion:

Former UK Ambassador to Syria: Syrian Chemical Weapons Attack Was STAGED By Islamic Jihadi Propagandists, No One Actually Died - BBC Audio – Apr 11, 2018 - George Washington - ZeroHedge
Interview with former UK Ambassador to Syria, Peter Ford.

We ought to all be calling our Reps and Senators to tell them to get their act together. I get to call Susan Collins, who’s already decided that there was a gas attack. I’m holding off for an hour or so; so, I don’t start cussing at whomever answers.

The following two investigative articles are for anyone who doesn’t realize that the “White Helmets” are funded by the U.K. and the U.S.;and, are aligned with and staffed by the terrorist jihadists (and George Clooney is a dunce). Yes, we gave an Oscar for a documentary that lauds a terrorist organization.

These are some of the people that our government is using to continue in its quest, currently in Syria, to rule all of the nations on this earth.

If you’re short on time, simply scroll through, looking at the photos of “White Helmets” working and celebrating with jihadists.

Investigation: White Helmets Committing Acts Of Terror Across Syria – Sep 6, 2017 - Vanessa Beeley - minipressnews

Forget Oscar: Give The White Helmets the Leni Riefenstahl Award for Best War Propaganda Film – Mar 3, 2017 - Patrick Henningsen - GreanvillePost

Let’s be glad some Congress members are interested in following the constitution.

As Tensions Soar, Turkey Warns US Bombing of Syria Could Set Entire Middle East 'on Fire'

no mention of the patriot act, or the military commissions act? Hmm. Did we impeach Trump when he dropped the MOAB? No, everyone went grade A nuts and Trump “became a President.”

Did congress oppose the funding of radical terrorists leading up to this mess?

I have zero faith in congress. I mean maybe if the Kochs released a memo stating this attack would hurt their market share in some way congress would do something of merit.

I stand corrected, HG. What I was referring to was GW’s bombing of Iraq before the Resolution was approved – he effectively started the invasion before the Resolution was approved…

Because “those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” and the US has never learned from our goddamned history … now we have a fake president that couldn’t read/learn from history if it was written on cue cards right in front of his retarded face!

Could Trump really be this stupid? Yes. He admires himself, he is a narcissistic sociopath. High school students nationwide learn about the three branches of government and balance of power. Wars ALWAYS need to get approved by congress, and any constitutional lawyer will tell you that.

The confusion begins when a president reacts to a specific situation and it isn’t on the grand scale of a full blown war. But that led us into the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. If Trump proceeds to actually ordering an attack on Syria without congress putting it to a vote, he could be impeached out of office. It may be only a matter of time before Trump is impeached for over stepping his authority. And that would be good for America, as he richly deserves to be impeached.