Home | About | Donate

As Trump Reportedly Considers Firing Rosenstein, Senators Move to Protect Mueller Probe

As Trump Reportedly Considers Firing Rosenstein, Senators Move to Protect Mueller Probe

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As the American public mobilizes for planned protests amid reports that President Donald Trump may fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as a warning to Special Counsel Robert Mueller, a bipartisan team of senators said Wednesday that they will introduce legislation to protect Mueller from being ousted.

A small step in the right direction!  What we REALLY need is for the entire Judicial system – not just the Su­preme Court – to be freed from political interference.  I don’t pretend to know all of the details of how things work currently, but IMHO it would benefit law enforcement significantly if all Judges, Prosecutors, Attorneys General, etc. served for fixed terms of an appropriate length (say ten or twenty years) and they could not be
fired by the President once their nominations had been approved by the Senate. The same should probably
be true for the head of the FBI and maybe even for the head of the CIA as well.  Of course some method for removing any of the above should also be provided – perhaps similar to impeachment, with a 2/3 vote of the Senate required to remove one of them prior to the expiration of his or her term.

Get it Done

This is the rabid fop we were warned about

He knows no ethics or boundaries

I’m guessing McConnell won’t bring this up for a vote.

Did I mention the part about Mitch being a dick?

Good ideas. We should also return to 2/3 vote by senate to put these figures in place. An independent judicial system is crucial to democracy and we should protect and strengthen the integrity of ours. I’d say 5 yearsfor fbi, CIA, and all others. Maybe 20 years for judges instead of life.