Home | About | Donate

As Trump Stalls, Observers Warn Business Empire Could Cause 'Unprecedented Threat'

As Trump Stalls, Observers Warn Business Empire Could Cause 'Unprecedented Threat'

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

President-elect Donald Trump on Monday canceled plans for a press conference this week that would have addressed his conflicts of interest—some of the most blatant in history—leading many to speculate that he will ultimately use his presidential power to benefit his corporate empire.

Trump spokesperson Hope Hicks confirmed to CNN that the press conference will take place next month.

Such rampant corruption and conflicts of interest! The only positive is that perhaps he won't want to start WW3. No money in it for him. On the other hand the planet is likely to drown. I voted for Stein but apparently most people only saw the false dichotomy that the MSM presented. How dare they manipulate the elections to make our seemingly only choices were between death by fire (Clinton) or death by water Trump)?

The problem is that there is no way he can effectively divest, and he is compounding the conflicts and threats in his nominations to cabinet positions.

You nailed it, BKS! His cabinet nominations and other appointments should be a very clear signal that he will, in fact, use the presidency to protect and expand his business interests. We are less than a week from the electoral college votes, and it appears that Trump will be impeachable on the day he takes office. Making a mockery of democracy.

Yes, indeed. There are some who also think that if Trump were to completely divest and liquidate he would end up with nothing. It is all speculation, except that, IMO, Trump will put his business interests ahead of national interests in many cases. I also think, however, that Trump and his advisors are not smart enough to truly know best courses to follow in the national interest anyway.

Impeachable on the emolliements clause?

They see no national interest, as far as I can see. Every appointment so far reeks of patronage, which seems to be the only thing DJT understands about the Presidency. And it looks to me to be every man for himself, and only himself (and I do not use the masculine lightly).

Trump is an impeachment waiting to happen. The establishment Republicans would much prefer having Pence as president. Therefore it would be in both parties interest to impeach Trump. He is on a collision course with the US Constitution. The polls show the majority of Americans don't like him and do not approve of his appointments. Something has to give. If he didn't have such serious psychological problems he would probably comprise and many of these things could be resolved but it seems he is seriously delusional and doesn't grasp the limits of his powers. At some point I would expect him to start a war as a distraction to the turmoil that will taking place around him. Given all the military families in the US and the tradition of serving in the military in the South there should be no shortage of volunteers signing up to fight no matter how wrong the war. If I lived in Iran I would be very worried.

He would be impeachable under the constitution, but given the republican majority in both houses and governors that is unlikely to happen. That would make his ascension to the presidency a coup d'etat.

Emoluments. Here is a link to an excellent article in The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/trump-could-be-in-violation-of-the-constitution-his-first-day-in-office/509810/

Title: Trump Could Be in Violation of the Constitution His First Day in Office

T-dump is a walking violation in and of himself.

Hey, T-dump...make a choice: your business or the presidency...you cannot nor deserve to have both.

Yep. Yep again since a post requires 5 letters!

Indeed. He had no other reason to run for president. Could it be he viewed the TPP as a possible competitor to his personal business?

The emperor-elect has no intention of divesting himself of his business empire and any date he might set to make announcement stating his intention to divest is a stall. His thought process is (a very twisted, self-serving one at best) that once he takes the oath of office, no one can do a damn thing to stop him...such is the mindset of an entrenched sociopathic narcissist:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20025568

Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism (and then has an uncontrollable compulsion to tweet his aggravation).

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
Exaggerating your achievements and talents
Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
Requiring constant admiration
Having a sense of entitlement
Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
Taking advantage of others to get what you want
Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
Being envious of others and believing others envy you
Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal and value yourself more than you value others.

Tell me this is NOT the emperor-elect himself.....

Trump does have to satisfy the Tea Party types in Congress or he might well get the boot. However, I don't think that is overly difficult, but it is somewhat of a restraint on Trump.

Thx for the spelling correction. I think I'd seen that Atlantic headline.

Okay, so how many "open letters" have been penned to Trump et. al. since the election? Can you say..."waste of time and energy?" He is not interested in other people's opinions, his cabinet picks show that. Who didn't know ahead of time that this press conference wasn't going to happen? Now that PA and MI have refused to allow a recount, Trump's election is set in stone. He knows the GOP electors will push him on through. it's called giving us all the finger, he's got the power, and as long as we preserve the system that put him in place, that's where he will be.

What do you mean "he won't start WW3." Nixon didn't start WW3 - he only killed 3 million Indochinese Bush did not start WW3, he only killed a million Iraqis and Afghanis. Trump wont start WW3, he will, based on statements, only invade Iran, indiscriminately bomb every city containing "terrorists" real or imagined, and, if a movement of vigorous dissent gets legs, he will kill hundreds of thousands of USAns in a Argentina of Colombia-style "dirty war".

And I have some news for you - this "Hillary will start WW3" is a kind of modern-age version of medieval superstition. It has no basis in fact. Her presidency, in the current context of international relations, presented no greater chance of starting WW3 than Obama did, and a much, much less a chance than Eisenhower, Kennedy (especially), Johnson, Nixon and Reagan (especially) did.

You need to also look up "psychopathic personality disorder" - that fits him even better.

I believe the Republicans are waiting for a scandal to develop out of Trump's business conflicts. Then, they will have an excuse to go along with impeachment. This is what they really want because they want Pence to be president. I think they are all just waiting for Trump to hang himself. Pence is their man.

"if anyone in the federal government decides to abide by the law."

That's a nice idea.