Home | About | Donate

As Trump Threatens Postal Service Amid Pandemic, #SaveUSPS Urges Bulk Stamp Purchases and Congressional Action

Democrats need to call his bluff on this. H

3 Likes

posting malfunction…sorry…

They should call his bluff. He can either sign Bailout II, as is, or watch the stock market
crash and burn.

2 Likes

What is the evidence?

2 Likes

The Dems tried to include postal money in the last legislation, and the Repubicans killed it.

There are times when receiving specific pieces of mail in a timely matter is crucial - even though, on average, people don’t need daily delivery. So we need the same cost saving effect you are talking about without losing the timely delivery mandate. Here’s how.

1. I use the “Informed delivery system” offered online by the Post Office. Early every morning I get an email with an image of each piece of mail that will be delivered to me later that day.

2. Suppose everyone had a baseline four-day-a-week mail service but can request same day delivery up to, say, 20 times a year - which they can use based on seeing something important in their mail via the Informed delivery system.

important note: this system can also be used to request that you don’t get specific pieces of junk mail if you don’t want it.

3 Likes

I’d like TV ads to go away too, but not likely to happen.
Carrying two or three (box holders), political mailers, per day during an election cycle can stress out mail carriers. It’s a catch 22. Darned if you have to deliver them, but needed for volume.

3 Likes

Those political mailers are the worst. They all go straight to recycling, and I go online to research any candidates or propositions. Banning those and making public airwaves available at zero cost to qualified candidates (over a certain number of signatures) and all propositions (pro and con get equal time) should be part of campaign finance.

2 Likes

Haaaaaaaa too funny.

Horrible thank you for the info.

1 Like

Mitch McConnell needs to be forced to override his threatened veto. Ya seriously think Moscow Mitch who blocked nearly all of Obama’s judiciary nominations will do that? You think the GOP Senate will go against Trump? Is there ANY objective fact that would make a reasonable observer believe that? No.
This is NOT on the Democrats. The Postal Service unions are STRONG Democratic donors. The GOP know that. This is on the GOP.
So I am still listing my stuff for sale.

2 Likes

Bulk rates are not money losers for the Postal Service but they aren’t the main source of revenue which is still First Class Mail. I cannot recall the percentage of profit on bulk but while it is very low, it is not a money loser.
Trump keeps saying the “last mile” delivery for Amazon, UPS, DHL et al are money losers, they are not. If the Service charges them more, the business will simply be move to minimum wage workers, private contractors or Amazon minimum wages drivers. Amazon is working on that now and actually might be one bidder to privatize the Service.
The biggest money loser for the USPS is the 2006 Postal Enhancement and Accountability Act forcing the prefunding of retiree benefits into the future 2056 , for employees who have not only not been hired yet, but were not even born when they passed that evil law in 06.
My partner and the shop stewards and other carriers we’ve spoken to believe that law was passed with the express purpose of bankrupting the Postal Service. What Trump, Mnuchin and the GOP are doing now is weaponizing a plague which is actually killing postal carriers to get the bankruptcy and privatization they’ve been clawing at for decades.
Ask yourself, why would the “investor class” want a dead end bankrupt investment? Obviously they know if they can bankrupt it, privatize it, kill the union contracts and then unburden the pre-funding mandate, they will make hundreds of millions if not billions off the Service.

5 Likes

the GOP doesn’t want vote by mail… they know they can’t win

4 Likes

They used to put big USPS ads on the outfield wall. I read that the sponsorship was in the millions of dollars. I heard about this because I live in Red Sox territory and they didn’t advertise in Boston. Best guess, USPS advertising drove nearly zero new revenue. Who needs to advertise a post office?

1 Like

If First Class is a money maker and the prime purpose of the government agency, and if junk advertising is neither a money maker nor a particularly wanted purpose of the government agency, why not raise junk mail rates to turn the junk mail into a (smaller, thankfully!!!) money maker?

4 Likes

They advertise their specific services, as they have competitors.

3 Likes

Hello, i met a doctor who is very sincere.
They buy kidney at a very low price but it is more better than those who promise and failed.
the price is $320,000.00, this is the original kidney price in the united states and if you are lucky to have a better price then you can contact them immediately the price changes due to the rate of demands.
i was given $320,000.00 and the other money was given to the agents then i only accounted for the amount given to me.
i sold my kidney and i was able to purchase a house in Ohio and opened a small super market for my wife.
i am able to go for my day to day activities and my childeren are in good condition.
i am happy i sold my kidney to save my family from stress and tension and fear for the feauture.
Contact them for more information.
email: doktor.michaellarry@gmail. com

I, too, have long believed that the 2006 law was expressly intended to bankrupt the Postal Service. But I also believe that they wanted the prefunding to create a nice pot of money (conveniently inaccessible to the Postal Service to use for the current crisis) to attract the corporate raiders, or whoever would take over the business, to siphon off. This yields a husk that would be sold off again, leaving no pensions whatsoever for any employees who are left. We’ve seen this pattern before. Cash-rich companies have been targets for years–why wouldn’t the Postal Service be a raider target, too? In these scenarios, labor always loses big. In this case, the whole nation loses big.

The Postal Service must be saved! Do whatever you can. I bought stamps and merch, and am pressing reps and senators.

5 Likes

Why is our fully functioning & non-political USPS going so broke, so fast?
Is it the fact that since 2007 it has received no gov’t funding, having to support themselves on revenue from stamps & other postal services?
No other federal gov’t dept is forced to raise money & be completely self-supporting.
Or, is it w/o enuff funds to stay operational cuz’ in 2007, Congress (in addition to cutting off their funding) is forcing USPS to PRE-FUND all employee retirement benefits 75 yrs in advance(?!) ~ So that includes pre-paying benefits for employees they haven’t even hired yet – in fact, those who haven’t even been born yet! (Is USPS psychic?) That’s ludicrous! Let’s see Congress do it ~ Ha! ~ they can’t even balance a budget/expenses 1 year at a time!
For Congress to NOT fund our U.S. Postal Service, while Congress enjoys FREE “franking” (postage) privileges, no less, is bad enuff… Coupled with making them pre-fund employees’ retirement 75yrs ahead ~ all of this (+ normal operating costs) to be paid for by selling services/stamps, etc? That explains the increased stamp prices to mail letters. Also explains why it’s going bankrupt if Congress doesn’t help them out! We have the best postal service in the world & Congress refuses to do anything to keep it afloat? “WTH?!!” This is same Congress that bails out the banks, Wall St., oil/gas industry & is now bailing out big corporate donors that may, or may not, need it due to Trump’s terrible handling & lack of leadership on Covid-19. A $500 Billion slush fund for their friends, but will let us all lose our Postal Office mail delivery service.
“Excuse me… what?!!”
I’d rather defund Congress!

2 Likes

No coincidence that if no postal service, then no “Vote-By-Mail” in Nov!!
They don’t care if some of us can’t get to polling places & so use mail-in ballot; or if corona-virus means risking your life to vote in person & mail-in ballots are perfect, do-able, solution. GOP is dead-set AGAINST voters having the option to Vote By Mail. in Nov! Wonder why they hate it so much?? No faulty voting machines. No closing of polling places in Dem areas.
No waiting hours in long lines at remaining locations.
Mail-in IS paper trail to check if claims of election fraud!
&…No exposure to Covid-19 virus!
All sounds great to me!
My husband & I have been voting by mail every election for past 20yrs & we like it much better! It’s relaxed, hassle-free voting ~ postage even paid here in CA! Wouldn’t go back to the old way.

1 Like

& Dems didn’t even try to fight for it, if you mean the thing they just passed.