Home | About | Donate

As War on Drugs Again Declared Failure, Trump's UN Event Dismissed as 'Splashy' Backward-Thinking Photo Op

As War on Drugs Again Declared Failure, Trump's UN Event Dismissed as 'Splashy' Backward-Thinking Photo Op

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As the Trump administration pressures countries across the globe to back a drug policy document that critics say aims to ensure "that the world continues to implement the War on Drugs, despite the approach's dangerous consequences for human rights and national security," two new reports detail how that approach was a major failure in the United States and call for "reform of the prohibition-based international drug control system, which is compromising a universal and holistic approach to the 'drug problem.'"

Here in amurika we lock up more people than any other country, people who commit crimes, people who want and need to enter our country. In rally after rally you’ll hear the scream of lock 'em up. Why? Profit! It’s a money game. Who makes the money? Drug makers and dealers and prison owners. We also want to build the wall between Mexico and amurika. Why? So we can lock up all amurkians. Oh so much winning, oh so much money to be made. I can’t stand it. Aren’t we having fun yet with life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Oh boy

11 Likes

Will Trump help ensure those Heroin producers in Afghanistan stop exporting opitates the World over? The Taliban managed to do this prior to the US invasion.

I suggest given the fact there a multitude of pictures shoing US troops guarding these fields against attack and watching as crates of the stuff loaded up on trucks to process and sell , Trumps “Initiatives on drugs” is more about ensuring there no competition to the CIA.

At the end of the day, US drug Policy is about protecting the market share of the CIA and the Pharmaceutical companies. At the end of the day ALL of US Policy is about protecting Corporate profits. End of story.

14 Likes

From the article:

“…governments can take control of currently illegal drug markets through responsible regulation, thereby weakening criminal organizations that now profit from them.”

This rosy scenario—as obviously sensible as it is—presupposes that governments and criminal organizations are separate, distinct and antagonistic, which is not universally the case. As such, decriminalization has been and will be resisted as long as possible by those who most benefit from the legal status quo. These include the alphabet agencies (see “The Politics of Heroin” by Alfred W. McCoy), state and local law enforcement who rely on asset forfeiture to supplement their budgets, banks which launder drug money, private for-profit prisons, and the defense bar.

That it will be a uphill fight shouldn’t stop us from trying, however.

7 Likes

Disdainful Donald, the expert on Drug policy, creates another world nobody wishes to live in.

4 Likes

The Portuguese outsmart us.

5 Likes

In the War on Drugs, We need to adopt the same strategy we ultimately did in Vietnam. “Declare Victory” and go home.

I justify spending money on the military (although not the amounts that are being spent). The biggest job of government is to ensure that the citizens are safe from outside aggression. I cannot justify one damned cent being spent on the “War on Drugs”, because the second job of government is to ensure that citizens are safe from aggression by that same government.

6 Likes

The so called war on drugs needs to be put in it’s proper context: sure there is a war on drugs, A WAR ON WHO CONTROLS THE BILLION $$$$ DRUG TRADE! The US prisons are full of small time drug dealers and pushers, but the really big drug dealers like BIG Pharma and major drug cartels like the CIA are never incarcerated.

8 Likes

Our own Duterte.

Direct Liquid Democracy

Totally agree, but you did forget one, it’s also about propping up Wall Street financially. The CIA’s real employers.

1 Like

evidence-based policy please.

Heroin is responsible for taking my nephew last year at the age of 45.

He made the mistake of trying it in 1992 when he was 20 and had moved to San Francisco to live with a few guys.

He was never the same after that.

A number of physical ailments precipitated by the usage of the drug prevented him from any meaningful employment for his entire life.

His parents did their best to support him, however he stole from them repeatedly to fund his debilitating disease.

He was a beautiful kid, a talented artist, and musician, kind and thoughtful until he couldn’t afford the drugs and would move on to liquor to help mask the pain.

Liquor made him mean and unbearable to be around.

Our nation, the Wealthiest on Earth, casts people aside because there’s not enough money for treatment.

But, there was $1.5 Trillion to give the top 1% this past year. The only thing they suffer from is greed.

9 Likes

You americans are a sorry bunch of losers if this rustyface toad is your best.

3 Likes

Well said!

2 Likes

PB, please accept your CD friends’ condolences. Your story is legion and your point, incisive.

Thx for sharing. Hopefully you opened some eyes.

1 Like

If there was no profit from drug dealing there would be no illegal criminal network.
If there was anyone who was kept from using drugs it might be argued that the war on drugs should be continued. There is no good that comes from the wars on drugs.
All restrictions should be stopped and all laws removed and addiction treated as a disease.
The worst that could happen is that addicts would continue to use the drugs and die as a result.
The likelihood is that without profits the networks would shrink and fewer new addicts would be added to the ranks of the sick.

1 Like

Speaking of drug dealers, who on earth would start a Vodka brand with his name on it after his older brother Fred died from years of alcoholism?

You know who. And not even made in the USA.

• An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States. The first is tobacco, and the second is poor diet and physical inactivity.

• Annual deaths from cannabis–0.

And let’s not forget WHY the war on drugs was declared in the first place: to arrest/imprison blacks and hippies and prevent their voting and political involvement.

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”-----John Ehrlichman.

1 Like

That’s right! And now they are forcing suffering pain patients who need opioids and drug users to get off of twenty times safer prescription drugs and are forcing them to go to drug dealers for pain relief and drug use where they get unsafe, dangerous fentanyl and heroin laced with fentanyl and they dare wonder why even more people are dying! The more the government takes away safer prescription drugs from patients who need them and from users the more people will die. I guess that is what they want. It’s outrageous! We patients in severe pain do not want to use opioids but if we don’t we suffer, become suicidal, and die or commit suicide. Hundreds of pain patients, even returning veterans, have committed suicide due to unrelieved pain since these restrictions were passed and tens of thousands more street users have died, and all they want to do is keep restricting safer prescription opioids where the person is monitored under the care of their doctors. Are drug dealers going to do a better job than our doctors can? These policies are insane! Count on the American government to always choose the absolute worst public policies that are possible, every time!

Wow, I was not aware of people being forced off of “safer” pharma drugs. Sounds like you know a lot more about opiods and other pharma pain meds than I do.

Yes, “heroin laced with fentanyl” does not sound too safe. I once enjoyed hearing Dr. Carl Hart and Dr. Daniel Rees speak on drug issues, and then I became a fan of both. Dr. Rees proved by studying all mmj medical states at the time (it was only 17 states then), and the incidents of drunk driving, youth use of cannabis, and suicide in males up to age 30 (? about) all declined after medical marijuana legalization.

Dr. Hart, (a leading neuroscientist specializing on illicit drugs) shared that when he was in med school his goal was to be able to cure drug addiction. Ha!. He learned that was impossible, and eventually after his specialization in addictive/illegal drugs, decided the only safe option is legalization and regulation (like rec. cannabis in Colorado–taxed and strictly regulated).

If I could share only one TedMed about drugs with all my friends, it would we his. It is called “Let’s stop abusing drug users.”

Because of my past in Colorado, I know that there are multiple corporate interests in maintaining the WAR on DRUGs and you will see these same forces in most every state. This list is from my own observations/experience, for example, the forces that fought against us on Amendment 64. Many of them (like alcohol and tobacco) support nefarious organizations like Patrick Kennedy and ProjetSAM (Incarceration is a powerful motivator,” says Kennedy), a way for them to hide their financial assault.

• Active Police Unions (retired Officers were mostly on OUR side–LOL)

• Alcohol (Many patients and rec users have found they can replace alcohol safely with cannabis, and it can treat symptoms of alcohol abuse, like nephropathy and others)

• Tobacco. (Because also in med states, growing hemp provides all kinds of textiles that that regular tobacco does not.) So cannabis is a double hit on ciggs.

• Private Prison Industry–about 50% of all incarcerated are on simple drug possession charges. They would lose too many income producing slaves.

• Any politician who is a War Hawk and gets major contributions from defense contractors, because the Program 1033, using military weapons to militarize local/state police nationwide, feeds the War on Drugs and that is precisely why/here 99%of that weaponry is justified in the purchasing–“We need a tank for the War on Drugs” (like using an atom bomb to kill a roach). Also, it has been found that in states with the most 1033 financial upgrades, it increases the chance by 128% that person will be killed by a police officer.