Home | About | Donate

As Wasserman Schultz Exemplifies Muddled Stance, This Reminder: Medicare for All "Ain't a Slogan. It's a 94-Page Bill"

As Wasserman Schultz Exemplifies Muddled Stance, This Reminder: Medicare for All "Ain't a Slogan. It's a 94-Page Bill"

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As some Senate Democrats offer up half-measures that fall far short of Medicare for All and rush to distance themselves from Sen. Kamala Harris' (D-Calif.) expressed support for eliminating private insurance, Rep.

4 Likes

DWS, I for one do not forgive you. Like you care…

26 Likes

Why is the MSM so compelled to give their microphone to known liars, cheats, and prevaricators? Oh… I forgot…it’s so good for business.

22 Likes

It didn’t take long for her team to retreat on this issue. There’s nothing about Harris’ original comment that needed walking back. If she doesn’t have the spine to stand in there at this point, she’s a lost cause.

21 Likes

By the 2020 election I’ll come across 5000 articles and 10,000 news segments dedicated to the topic of single payer health care the Dems are going to deliver. Then…should they win back both houses and the WH, they’ll govern from the new, “Nixon center”, calling it progressivism. Take me now Great Creator.

6 Likes

And this from Vermont Congressman Peter Welch who was a co-sponsor of HR 676:

Thank you for contacting me about reforming our health care system to ensure that every American has affordable health coverage. I strongly support a single payer health care system and appreciate knowing of your interest in this issue.

_ _

When Congress debated the Affordable Care Act in 2009, I sponsored an amendment that would have allowed Americans the option to enroll in a government sponsored program for health coverage rather than private insurance. Unfortunately, it did not have enough support to be included in the final bill.

_ _

I believe the simplest path now to achieve a single payer system is to expand Medicare to cover all Americans. The Medicare program is administered by the federal government and is very popular among seniors whose quality of life and life expectancy have been dramatically improved due to Medicare services. I have cosponsored H.R. 676, the Expanded and Improved Medicare For All Act, which would establish a single-payer health care system for all Americans. While passing this bill with President Trump in the White House and Republicans controlling the Senate will be an uphill climb, I believe this is a fight worth having.

_ _

Please keep in touch. I look forward to seeing you in Vermont.

Democrats are cowards. Here in Vermont we are mounting intense campaigns to educate the public on single payer and a pressure campaign on the US Rep. and Senators. The Democratic candidate for the oval office needs to campaign on following FDR when he, by the stroke of his pen, signed into law Social Security and do it for single payer.

20 Likes

Actually I read this as good news and a signal that genuine universal single-payer health care financing is not a dead issue. Rumors over the past few weeks suggested that the Harris bill was barely a shadow of that.

BUT WHERE THE HECK IS THE BILL? Do I have to wade through the morass at house.gov and find it on myh own?

Correction: Apparently the “94 page bill” is the one Sanders filed last fall, which I understood to be significantly watered down from HR 676 (which itself could be improved).

4 Likes

Make the 2010 contest about Health Care - not health insurance.
Medi Care for all is not free (all paid by the Government health care) just as Medi Care is now not free - just radically less expensive than commercial Health insurance.
Medi Care does not cover all Health care Costs.
Part A, hospital costs, has an annual deductible up to $180.
Part B, other than hospital, has an annual deductible up to $1,340.
Part D, Drugs is optional.
Medicare Part A for fully qualified individuals over 6 (40 Quarters) pay nothing for Part A. Uninsured aged and certain individuals with disabilities who have exhausted other entitlement and who have less than 30 quarters of coverage will pay the full premium, which will be $422 a month, a $9 increase from 2017.
Medicare Part B premiums are subject to an income-related monthly adjustment amount, and in 2018, Part B premiums ranges between $134 and $428.60 per month.
Medicare Part D Premium. The average nationwide monthly premium for 2019 is $33.19, although plan costs vary depending on the plan you choose and where you live.

So the costs of Medicare for all - those less than 65 and less than 40 quarters is about $442+134+33=$609 per year not free but 1/2 commercial insurance cost.

2 Likes

Wasserman Schultzs use of the word, “affordable” in saying that all Democrats want the same thing for all Americans, “equal access to affordable healthcare,” is the key word to be understood here.

Democrats want Americans to pay for their medical needs. And pay well indeed.

The fact that anyone still listens to DWS amazes me.

11 Likes

Private insurers are worthless leeches.

11 Likes

From the Sanders Institute- a great discussion on healthcare and ‘how we pay for it’

2 Likes

And there’s another bill in the house.

Wasserman-Schultz sez:
“The moniker of what you call the concept, which we are all fully embracing …”

Joe Walsh sez: “The smoker you drink, the player you get.”

(Also, “You can’t argue with a sick mind”)

8 Likes

DSA says it all in five brief points instead of 94 pages. A little white out here and there will do the trick.

The existing medicare age needs to change, as does the coverage to 100% of what exists.

Medicare is health care insurance for cost of doctors, medicines, and etc.

yuppers… she’ll make a point of burning that bridge when she gets to it

the block chain version of health administration

1 Like

Correctly noted: HR 676 the ‘gold standard’ has been smothered by the house democrats in its crib and the number assigned to the NATO Forever War Bill. Stop the warmongering,
use the savings to save millions of lives … without firing a shot.

6 Likes

That is precisely the reason that most of the people who have been waging this fight have insisted upon some version of “IMPROVED Medicare for All,” which in its best versions has a tax structure that pays for ALL medical services, or in some versions pays everything for people toward the bottom of the income distribution but has some copays and deductibles for higher earners. Every “civilized nation” (sic) has had some version of this for many years, as it is the only feasible way to provide at least a minimal level of modern health care for everyone in the nation.

Many people still believe that all doctors and other providers would be employees of the federal government, which would also own all the physical facilities. This is not the case at all. NONE of the systems under consideration would include health care, only the way that health care is financed. At the outset at least, actual health care would be provided by the same entities (doctors, hospitals, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, etc.) that provide it now. What would change is that they would not have to play the absurd and absurdly expensive (and unpredictable) game of submitting outrageously inflated bills to a plethora of insurers, which then pay some arbitrary portion of the bill. All bills would be submitted to a single agency of the US government, which would pay the predetermined and published price, transparent to all stakeholders, out of the dedicated tax monies, in precisely the way that Social Security pays its beneficiaries solely out of dedicated tax revenues which by law cannot be spent for any other purpose.

3 Likes

MEDICARE for ALL — Dirty Debbie for Prison
DINOs and lying scum such as DWS and HRC are the main reason I have left the DamnocRatic party, and will not donate one single dime to the DCCC, DNC or DSCC.

. . .  Which by Law cannot be spent for any other purpose.” — “Aye, there’s the rub.”
If Social Security funds had not been robbed to pay for numerous other services, the system would still be solvent and would remain so indefinitely.   Medicare-for-All would easily pay for itself by eliminating the huge profits skimmed off the top and given to the greedy Fat Cats at the top of the Private Hospital, Insurance and Pharmaceutical pyramids, provided the funds could be protected from “our” representa­tives in Congress.

7 Likes