Home | About | Donate

Assange Wins. The Cost: The Crushing of Press Freedom

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/04/assange-wins-cost-crushing-press-freedom

6 Likes

Superb analysis Mr. Cook. Indeed, we all need to stand up and speak out consistently in defense of journalism and publishing, and against the rampant abuses of power by the state that they expose, and by the corporations that own the political system.

9 Likes

Best analysis on this topic today.
Aside from his personal relief, Assange has yet again succeeded in unmasking the true nature of western justice via the despicable juridical twists that this judge upheld as true. On that count it is a double good day for Assange.

7 Likes

One should read the long report given in the link of Assange in the embassy. He was doing a lot of oppositional activities which don’t detract from the necessities to free him.
I support him all the way to his release, but he is a complex person.

2 Likes

What is needed is a million protesters marching on Washington after Biden comes to office to demand that Biden drop all charges against Assange and declare him a hero or else accept the apt label as ‘corporate sycophants that are willing to throw the 99% under the bus for political and financial gain.’ The choice will be Biden’s.
As we all know at Commondreams, Biden is better behaved that Trump in public, but behind the scenes Biden is working just as vigorously as his predecessors to screw over anyone who challenges the status quo. We must expose to everyone that BOTH PARTY’s are incredibly corrupt and therefore the new rallying cry for any election should be… “Never a Democrat or a Republican” because until we can beak this cycle of extreme violence, we will never be free.

8 Likes

and Bush, who isn’t a complex person?

As always Jon you are a loyal and faithful witness for truth, which makes
you a great journalist, like Pilger and others, but there are only too few of
you.
Assange’s momentary respite gives career journalists and people
still willing to look for truth in their lives a little life support, but ignoring
his plight by mainstream media and the public is a sickness already seeping into our minds. So maybe it’s a good time to recall who else in world history was said to mentally ill: “I have not a demon; but I honor
my Father and you dishonor me” (Jn.8.49).

2 Likes

So?

How many non-complex persons does anyone know?

Even at that, there’s nothing like completely vague criticism to poison the well when there is no criticism of substance to make.

I always have some sneaky fear that I will have landed on the one person out of who knows how many who will have made such a comment sincerely. Apologies if so, but how would anyone have known?

2 Likes

Yes. That makes for the possibility that he contributes some good to the world.

Take DJT. He is NOT a complex person. I don’t think I need to point out the nature of his contributions to society.

Peace.
ths.

Doing the Psychiatric Incarceration gambit is not new. Recall that Ezra Pound, after WW2, was imprisoned for 13 years at [name of insane asylum goes here–St. Elizabeth’s, maybe–in D.C. or environs. This for broadcasting (from Italy?) columns that did not celebrate the work of Americans’ Greatest Generation in Europe & Asia. I don’t recall whether there was any due process entailed in his incarceration.
While there, one Eustace Mullins visited him (weekly?) and together they wrote–or Mullins wrote and Pound edited–The Secrets of the Federal Reserve. I’m sure some criminal law professor would warn students that an insanity plea contained, built in, a pathway to life in prison, meant (i.e., a life sentence w/o/p of parole was the intended purpose. Or imprisonment.
Most folks don’t remember that Pound’s illustrious mentees included Papa Hemingway, James Joyce, T.S. Eliot – as well as Mullins. Fitzgerald I don’t know about, or what’s-her-name, Gertrude Stein.

2 Likes

The portrait of Julian Assange above the story, from October 2010, is absolutely devastating. It makes me gasp and strain to catch my breath to witness the harrowing of this beautiful young man’s body, to see what years of torture does to someone. Does the torture ever stop?

In the old days, when enemies of Empire were imprisoned for years, they were at least taken care of. I’m sure Nelson Mandela’s treatment wasn’t the likes of any five-star hotel. But Mandela survived it, and then thrived as South Africa’s first president. Mandela wasn’t subjected to state-of-the-art tortures prepared today for Assange. The art of imperial torture has markedly progressed, evidence of which is startlingly clear, from any comparison of that glowing young face to the wrung-out washrag they’ve made of him. Slowly sqeezing the life out of him to make a point, like the Man did to George Floyd.

1 Like