Home | About | Donate

Assassination, American-Style: James Bond or the Three Stooges?

Assassination, American-Style: James Bond or the Three Stooges?

Tom Engelhardt

No one can claim that plotting assassination is new to Washington or that, in the past, American leaders and the CIA didn’t aim high: the Congo’s Patrice Lumumba, Cuba’s Fidel Castro, the Dominican Republic’s Rafael

All of those involved, likely from the 18th century, in devising and executing plans such as economic and political assassinations, the dopes who
ran the various spy departments were probably avid readers of the "true detective" fantasy literature of their time. This really becomes apparent in the heady days of the OSS, when the bureaucrats took over from the field operatives. Bill Donovan and others were good at lining up information, scoping out venues, and maybe even popping a couple shots into the suspects of the day. As with any kind of "adventure fantasy", such operations quickly fell victim to mission creep, lawyer creep, equipment creep, and goofy, college/frat boy creep. The US now has kids wielding joysticks and staring at game consoles engaging in wholesale murder. And, it appears, large numbers of Executive Branch 007 wannabes working the spreadsheets. What do the US and its' allies have as a result? Billion-dollar programs killing people from afar, and barely even acknowledging the damage. Even the Three Stooges were professionals, working well-developed routines on stage and screen. As a comedy act, the Stooges were true professionals, plying a craft. As superspies and assassins, the goofs currently at work are just working on a body count, and updating their resumes. And, serving as recruiters for the opposition.

Mr Englehardt, I don't know what your game is but I found your sudden avoidance of the assassination of President Kennedy then your reference to Weiner's "Legacy of Ashes" quite intriguing. I would encourage all readers to follow Tom's link to said book on Amazon and then read the 1 star review. Weiner's book is a "limited hangout" i.e. true in places, but a shoddy orchestrated litany of lies in others. The elephants in the room for both Englehardt and Weiner is that the CIA assassinated President Kennedy and they and their media stooges/plants/operatives (Operation Mockingbird anyone?) have denied, lied, dissembled, perjured, obfuscated ever since. Fifty Two years of such behaviour is tedious in the extreme - but one only has to look at how the Turkish government today still denies the murder of 1.5 million Armenians. On the eve of the illegal invasion of Poland in 1939, Hitler is supposed to have said: "Who now remembers the Armenians?". Well here on the rest of the planet, not only do we remember the Armenians, we also remember that President John F. Kennedy was murdered by the CIA in an as yet unacknowledged Coup d'Etat. Why is this important? For one thing, the Vietnam War would never have happened (when JFK died, a total of 75 US military 'advisers' had died whilst NSAM 263 ordered the removal of all military). Read only "JFK & The Unspeakable".