Home | About | Donate

At COP and Around the World, We Need Another Safety Check

At COP and Around the World, We Need Another Safety Check

Morgan Curtis

I’m in Paris, but I haven’t been to the Louvre. I haven’t shopped at the Christmas markets, nor strolled along the Seine.

I am here as a U.S. youth delegate for COP21, the crucial UN climate conference currently underway. Our friends from home think we’re on vacation, but the selfies we’re posting are filled not with smiles or landmarks but politicians and crisis. As the days fly by, we spend our hours in these sterile hallways frantically wondering: what can we do to guarantee our future?

Morgan, have you included reducing or eliminating meat consumption as one of the "best ideas"?

"I propose Facebook activate a global check on the last day of the talks, one that calls on us 1.9 billion users to commit to climate action. This is a global moment of unprecedented significance for the human species in more ways than one: at no other time in history have we had a communication tool with such potential to bring us together. After we check in to indicate our commitment, Facebook could show us who else in our city, school, company, or community has done the same, and connect us all to organize a first meeting to make a plan for action in 2016. Facebook actively moving clicktivism into real life for the very first time."

i certainly encourage everyone to communicate; to meet with family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and allies; and to commit to work to end the economic systems and activities that pump billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere. It's very serious business, but we can work together to stop all non-essential economic activities, and to harmonize economic systems with the natural ecological systems of the living Earth. Beyond carbon, we can work to harmonize ALL human activities with naturally regenerative ecological systems, and to end ALL human-driven dis-integration of the ecology. But -- along with the fact that the Facebook business model will be implacably opposed to many of the systemic changes that are required to stop the economy from killing the ecology -- we don't need Facebook to do so. And if Facebook (and founder-in-thief Zuckerberg) jumps on this idea, and spends the next two days setting up this Climate Safety Check for its 1.9B members, Facebook will still be a monster.

Aside from its predatory business model (data-mining YOU, and selling you to other predators)... and its inevitable feed-in to the NSA and the military / industrial / corporate / deep state... consider the following analogy:

The Network itself, of which Facebook is a part, is an organism. From the moment of its "conception," with the launch of the telegraph only 170 years ago -- (with "What hath God wrought?" ominously and appropriately the first message sent across the new network) -- the rapidly accelerating "gestation" of the Network -- through development of telephone, radio, television, computers, transistors, chips, "smart" phones, social media, and the construction of the massive NSA data reaper / centralizer / analyzer in Bluffdale UT -- has brought us to the brink of its "birth" and emergence into the light of day.

The key next development is the biochip, currently under rapid development, which will enable the direct connection of the "smart" phone to the human brain. At which point, humans will no longer be individuals, but will be nodes on the Network. The first biochips will be deployed in the next few years.

Following its "birth," the Network -- analogous to plants and animals that evolved from single-celled creatures which were entirely subsumed inside the new creatures -- will develop according to its own developmental logic, NOT according to the needs or wishes of its human nodes, nor with necessary regard for the ecology. Technological evolution will continue to accelerate. It will not be decentralized; there will be a "brain."

Morgan Curtis writes: "This is a global moment of unprecedented significance for the human species in more ways than one: at no other time in history have we had a communication tool with such potential to bring us together." But to my mind, these twin developments each threaten the existence of humans and the living Earth. It's taken more than two generations for the ecological crisis to rise to the level of mobilization that is now growing. While we desperately need an emergency grassroots mobilization to address the ways our species fuels climate chaos and ecological dis-integration... we equally need a massive "safety check" regarding the implications for humanity of the Network that is being born.

Is it relevant to ask here if Facebook paid him to write this article?